IGNORED

Tomlin Off Then?

Hazelboy

Professional as ever plastering it over twitter before an official announcement. He had his moments but didn't do it nearly often enough. 

He will no doubt do well in the right team but that doesn't mean we are wrong to move him on. Clearly a luxury we can't afford in our side. All the best to him wherever he ends up. 

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Tomlin lit up our squad all season with his creativity then :facepalm: take out free kicks and penalties he scored 2 league goals. He hindered us for most of the season and you could argue LJ tried his hardest to fit a team around Tomlin but it was never good enough for LT so he never put in the effort. 

You could also argue that he was in  and out of the team, this is never good for a player who needs to be playing to keep fit and to keep his confidence up. Johnson dug out most of the team at one stage or another during last season and I would bet this affected Tomlin too. 

Just now, Vincent Vega said:

That could be levelled at a lot of players this season.

Fair enough but my point is that LT could've played a lot better than he did but he couldn't be bothered. Can blame many things on LJ this season but a lack of effort from any player is never the coaches fault 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I get why people don't like LJ. I don't agree but I get it. I don't get the love in for Tomlin who has done nothing for well over a year and cost us one of our biggest transfer fees and probably our highest earner. Could be the biggest waste of money in the history of the club and not just because he was bad but because he didn't try. Why his name was sung over and over again when he clearly didn't want to be on the pitch, I'll never know. Waste of talent. This after he worked very well with the same manager a few months before the permanent switch. 

I don't think he's even close to the Top 10 of biggest waste of money transfers - think of all the long term contracts Coppell issued to journeymen well past their best, that took years to pay up. Or the overseas talent Johnson senior brought in. Or the hopeless loans we paid fees for. Tomlin also has a good assist rate this season (relative the rest of the midfield) but I recognise that doesn't suit your criticism of one of the most talented individuals we've seen for years.

5 minutes ago, collier said:

There is a reason we paid 3 million for him too is there not?

Two arguments for that I guess.. depending on your school of thought..

1) on talent, he's easily worth that - maybe more. BUT you have to mould the team around him, keep him happy and account for periods of poor form, the occasional tantrum, questionable workrate and the odd red card..

2) we are naive. We thought we couldn't get the best out of him. Our team isn't good enough to accommodate him/LJ isn't currently a good enough man manager to deal with someone who's challenging to manage.

Depends on your personal perspective but I'd say both of those points are correct.

Just now, collier said:

You could also argue that he was in  and out of the team, this is never good for a player who needs to be playing to keep fit and to keep his confidence up. Johnson dug out most of the team at one stage or another during last season and I would bet this affected Tomlin too. 

He was in the team consistently for months and never performed. You could argue LJ should've had the balls to drop him sooner and to stop trying to cater to him. LJ made his mistakes, he could've been sacked but none of that is reason for you not to try on the pitch and that is my biggest gripe with LT. He didn't try and didn't care about us or the club. Just himself and how he wasn't having his way. 

39 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

EdwardandTubbs.jpg

What a shame.

Well that's two superbly talented footballers in Lees Tomlin and Trundle that we've signed and utterly failed to use properly.

This is Ashton Gate, we'll have none of your fancy ball trickery here!

Sorry, but that's rubbish.  Both Trundle and Tomlin were given every chance to succeed, and both failed. Neither delivered at the end of the day.  Not the fault of the manager in either case.

Fair enough but my point is that LT could've played a lot better than he did but he couldn't be bothered. Can blame many things on LJ this season but a lack of effort from any player is never the coaches fault 

Fair enough. But in 20 years I expect I'll still remember his highlights with fondness and LJ'S time as coach here with a shrug of the shoulders , but time will tell ;)

Just now, Dullmoan Tone said:

I don't think he's even close to the Top 10 of biggest waste of money transfers - think of all the long term contracts Coppell issued to journeymen well past their best, that took years to pay up. Or the overseas talent Johnson senior brought in. Or the hopeless loans we paid fees for. Tomlin also has a good assist rate this season (relative the rest of the midfield) but I recognise that doesn't suit your criticism of one of the most talented individuals we've seen for years.

You are probably right and in a better position than I to argue it. My point is 2.5m or so plus a 3 year contract worth roughly 3m is a lot of money for Bristol City to be spending on someone who won't help defend as a team, won't score goals from open play and challenge authority in front of young players. He needed to be some sort of leader even if that was only through his play on the pitch(much like he did in his loan spell) but he sulked and gave up and now can't say goodbye fast enough. 

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry, but that's rubbish.  Both Trundle and Tomlin were given every chance to succeed, and both failed. Neither delivered at the end of the day.  Not the fault of the manager in either case.

No in my opinion that is rubbish - they were both consistently played out of position as wide men - when they were both number 10's. 

I think Tomlin expected to be the big name on the team sheet this season when he signed. Our most important signing, the one everyone relied on for moments of magic.

Unfortunately for him though Tammy came along and the rest is history.

Thanks Lee, it's been a pleasure to watch you ...... some times. 

29 minutes ago, Super said:

2 goals?

I think you'll find he scored much more than 2 goals but don't let your personal dislike for him get in the way of facts, without checking I would guess that he scored at least twice as many as Pack, Smith, Brownhill, O'neill & O'Dowda put together and probably had twice the amount of assists as well 

24 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You are joking right. I've said many times on here how great it is to watch players like him but he was bloody useless last season . Drops too deep , slows the game down too much , wants a ball to himself . Fulham away and Huddersfield at home both on loan , both the 2015/16 season were the highlights of his time with us.  He did absolutely **** all last season. 

Tried too hard and a few rumours of a niggling ongoing injury hampering him - didn't even LJ hint at that?

I guess we will see what a fully fit Tomlin in the right formation does in this league next season and it will be a lot more than our limited players will do and certainly more thrilling to watch.

I foresee him back to the player we had on loan and were desperate to sign and we will look on with envy.

Players have bad seasons - look at Joe Bryan but the difference being he is Bristolian: so some ***** on here think he is god and are worried we will lose him to the premier league for 5M as opposed to league 1 for 500k which is where he deserves to be.

Just now, Vincent Vega said:

Fair enough. But in 20 years I expect I'll still remember his highlights with fondness and LJ'S time as coach here with a shrug of the shoulders , but time will tell ;)

Lee Tomlin FK at Fulham with live with me forever mate. I don't hate him I'm just not upset to see him leave after this season. 

24 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

He just doesn't fit this team right now. Shame, as he can be quality. Hopefully any deal gets done quickly and allows us to move on early in the summer. A long, protracted transfer saga could be a disaster.

Strange that he's saying things like this without any concrete interest reported; really hope he's not forcing a move.

Weren't there rumours of interest from Marseille during last season ?

I would not be surprised at all if he played abroad somewhere next season.

This might also account for the lack of speculation. Kodjia's move here was kept under wraps until the last minute (as an example).

He was in the team consistently for months and never performed. You could argue LJ should've had the balls to drop him sooner and to stop trying to cater to him. LJ made his mistakes, he could've been sacked but none of that is reason for you not to try on the pitch and that is my biggest gripe with LT. He didn't try and didn't care about us or the club. Just himself and how he wasn't having his way. 

You realise by saying he didn't try that it's your opinion right. It's not a fact he didn't try, just that you saw it that way. By the way he got 7 goals and 5 assists last season. More assists that Pack, Bryant, Reid, Brownhill, Smith, O Dowda ie the rest of the midfield/widemen. Also only 1 less goal than Pack, Reid Bryant, Brownhill, Smith, O Dowda combined.

Just now, Dullmoan Tone said:

No in my opinion that is rubbish - they were both consistently played out of position as wide men - when they were both number 10's. 

LT had a great spell on the left during his loan spell but with losing Kodjia who would make space for LT and press for him made it impossible to play him there this season. Though LT didn't do himself any favours when he did get the chance to play behind Tammy. He was a marked man this year and imo came down to our lack of pace. Then when we changed formation and settled he didn't fit. Just wish he would've gave more when it got tough. 

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

Tried too hard and a few rumours of a niggling ongoing injury hampering him - didn't even LJ hint at that?

I guess we will see what a fully fit Tomlin in the right formation does in this league next season and it will be a lot more than our limited players will do and certainly more thrilling to watch.

I foresee him back to the player we had on loan and were desperate to sign and we will look on with envy.

Players have bad seasons - look at Joe Bryan but the difference being he is Bristolian: so some ***** on here think he is god and are worried we will lose him to the premier league for 5M as opposed to league 1 for 500k which is where he deserves to be.

So you think we should sell Joe Bryan to a league 1 side or £500 k.  Honestly FFS.

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

Tried too hard , really ? I didn't see that at all . He constantly ****** up the shape of the side thinking he could do what he wanted. We all love a maverick player but he wasn't interested without the ball and unless you got top class players around him to do his running for him then he's a liability. Agree about joe by the way but it's completely different. 

Just now, collier said:

You realise by saying he didn't try that it's your opinion right. It's not a fact he didn't try, just that you saw it that way. By the way he got 7 goals and 5 assists last season. More assists that Pack, Bryant, Reid, Brownhill, Smith, O Dowda ie the rest of the midfield/widemen. Also only 1 less goal than Pack, Reid Bryant, Brownhill, Smith, O Dowda combined.

Sure it's an opinion but I think it's an opinion most would share. When it got hard he never worked harder. He did whatever was easiest. Dropping back to holding midfield or just standing and asking for the ball to feet instead of moving. Got tackled twice well now I'll stand further back and lump balls forward. He never took to the responsibility of being the highest paid and most talented footballer in the squad. Again, he scored 3 league goals not from the penalty spot and sure he created a few times because he was that good but all in all he didn't give as much as he could and that's where it doesn't sit well with me. Jamie Paterson was similar but it clicked for him that he wouldn't play unless he worked harder. So he started tracking back and running non stop to find little gaps of space. I'd rather have a little more effort and a Little less talent. With Paterson, O'Dowda and even Reid I know we will get the work necessary for the league. Not as natural as Tomlin but won't let me down as much. Maybe it was too soon for a LT type to be here

Archived