IGNORED

Tomlin Off Then?

Hazelboy

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Er, why? They did what 90% of the fanbase wanted them to do although I expect only you could see how it was going to turn out and booed him roundly when he took the field v Wigan.

#mysticthatch

It was right to go for him. It didn't work out. Shit happens. 

At least he's a player with residual value unlike most players that have graced AG. 

49 minutes ago, RedM said:

No more than anyone ever does on here. I'm just applying common sense and saying it might not be as black and white as suggested, not just either serious injury or poor management.

Some people just assume players are like from FIFA, robots perhaps 

no personalities and life styles off the pitch that can have major influences in form etc 

Just now, Rossi the Robin said:

Some people just assume players are like from FIFA, robots perhaps 

no personalities and life styles off the pitch that can have major influences in form etc 

Yes exactly. They are highly paid and pampered and people think they should just be able to turn up and function because of this. Yes many of us have to do this too, but not with thousands of eyes watching and social media ready to rip you apart as easily as it builds you up too. As I said lots can influence people's lives, good and bad, not just your manager or personal injury.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yes exactly. They are highly paid and pampered and people think they should just be able to turn up and function because of this. Yes many of us have to do this too, but not with thousands of eyes watching and social media ready to rip you apart as easily as it builds you up too. As I said lots can influence people's lives, good and bad, not just your manager or personal injury.

UN highly paid and at St Enidoc golf course I fifteen putted, the twenty odd students watching applauded did I die that day.

Just now, reddoh said:

UN highly paid and at St Enidoc golf course I fifteen putted, the twenty odd students watching applauded did I die that day.

Is it only me who thinks you dropped hundreds of scrabble letters and rearranged?

Sad in a way. He was our marquee signing last season. I just don't think we have a manager tactically astute enough to handle technical players like LT. A bit like his father with another LT...Lee Trundle. Total waste of talent due to mismanagement in my view. 

Just now, tinman85 said:

Sad in a way. He was our marquee signing last season. I just don't think we have a manager tactically astute enough to handle technical players like LT. A bit like his father with another LT...Lee Trundle. Total waste of talent due to mismanagement in my view. 

Nothing to do with the player then? Glad you cleared that up.

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

It's nothing about being a technical player. It's about ego. The same reason Tomlin failed at Bournemouth, a club who has many other technical players who are doing just fine. 

14 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Sorry but what a complete load of assumptive bollocks that really is. 

35 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can I be first to ask, 'what is Instagram'

I'm getting old.

Its when Rooney walks in off the street wanting an immediate leg over.

Sorry, just realised it's instagram not instagran.

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Its when Rooney walks in off the street wanting an immediate leg over.

Sorry, just realised it's instagram not instagran.

So is this an app that people looking to score drugs use?

50 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can I be first to ask, 'what is Instagram'

I'm getting old.

It's used to keep children occupied in modern times in lieu of proper parenting. 

Can be used as an alternative to driving to the pub and locking the kids in the car with a bag of crisps before returning later to drive them home pissed. 

Just make sure they have data. 

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Another nail in LJ's coffin for me. A great talent, game winner and proves once again that LJ cannot manage such a player. He was clearly bought to play a big part in city's top 10 push which fell flat on its face. LT will play a pivotal role with another club with a manager with more experience than LJ and will probably end up a world beater. Look forward to LT celebraing promotion next season with one of citys rivals. Tammy gone, now LT massive re-re-building with a management team who proved last season they got it very wrong.

I'm a big LJ doubter but I think (hope) that he's realised that he can't handle these types of players, and therefore won't try to sign any more like this in future.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

Three clubs in as many years tells a story.

Since leaving Peterborough (about an hour from Leicester) - Middlesbrough, Bournemouth, and City, all hours away from Leicester and limiting home time. It must take its toll on family and may well have an effect on his football. Its a bit different being on loan and knowing being away is only for a couple of months.

I have no idea if that is the case with LT but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I think the Boro' one is a bit unfair.  Player of the season in a side that missed out on promotion to the Prem, a league he was desperate to play in.  I think he'd have stayed has they got promoted instead of Norwich.  Bournemouth on paper was a good move for him and them, and he was starting to build a good partnership with Callum Wilson until he did his ACL.  Howe realised he couldn't play Tomlin with the likes of King (or Murray - I think), so it's back on bench.  Queue a falling out, then he comes hear.

On the family front I think he has an 9/10 year old from a previous relationship and a little'un too from his current partner.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, it was what I interpreted from a chat I had with him at Charlton Farm at Xmas.  He certainly misses his roots, and there's been a few rumours floating around saying he's had some off field worries.  No idea if that's a smokescreen or not.  He did say he misses seeing his kid play.

Footballers can be delicate things, complex too, and immature.  They need to be handled in a way that brings out the best in them.  Sometimes a manager find that way, sometimes they don't, sometimes the player doesn't want to try.  Those of us with no ITK, can only summise.

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Agree with this sentiment. LT is just far too slow to play at a higher level. He's a luxury in the championship - his lack of pace means he'll struggle to hold down a place in too many sides. The championship needs leaner and faster players year on year. 

He'd have been magnificent 10-15 years ago. 

A fully fit, sharp Tomlin, has a change of pace and technique that buys him an extra split second.  He has the skills to play higher, but doesn't seem to want to do those things (fitness) that would give him that chance.  It's not untypical for a 'genius' to have flaws elsewhere in his make-up.  The geniuses that don't have a flaw are rare, and they rise to the top.

He will end up at a (perceived) better club than us.

I don't also subscribe to the view that we will just have to cut our losses on the £2.5m we paid.  He's under contract, we have no obligation to sell him, even though it would get him off the wage bill.  I don't see MA being taken for a ride.  If a Derby, or Wednesday, or Boro come in, it won't be out of sympathy, and we take top dollar for him.  It's not like he'll be cut price because he's going down a division.

I disagree with those who say he was brilliant at the start of last season.  He was having a mare (maybe because of dead leg first game), haranguing the refs, getting yellow cards, and frustrated by his own performances.  He got it right at home to Villa, but that was game 5.

He's had his moments, but he's had his sulks too.

I'm now beginning to think that LJ undeservedly gave him 30 mins v Brum so that he could sign off his time here.  I think LJ gave him too many chances and sussed it out by the end.

I don't believe the Instagram post not Tweet are a cry for attention, I think he is genuinely leaving.  He dies like a wind-up, but even last summer's tweets weren't really a wind-up were they.  He knew he wanted to come and as long as we sorted out terms he was coming.  He maybe agreed terms, but it can take a while to get forms signed, wedding in Mexico etc etc.

Its a real shame his hero status only lasted the second half of 15/16 season, he could've gone down as a legend here.

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Just to add, the Club did apparently to extreme lengths to bring him in - again a poor show from the MA and LJ - another cock up to add to list.

It's a good job Alex Ferguson never signed Juan Sebastian Veron. Or Eric Djemba-Djemba. Or Bebe. Or Gabriel Obertan. Or Dong Fangzhuo. Or Ralph Milne. Or Massimo Taibi. Or Zoran Tosic. Or David Bellion. 

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's a worry. We'll need to spend big to stand still. 

This is LJs third transfer window.

He said he needed three. 

Based on a three window transfer strategy I would have been expecting just a couple of additions in the last window - a matter of just fine tuning the machine. Seems to me we're not far short of needing a complete overhaul.

Last Summer transfers disaster cannot be repeated. Hope MA delivers some crackers, he needs to. 'Here and now' please, like virtually every other Club, adopt the approach that any incomers must improve the first team squad  - not the old 'ones for the future' carp that this Club continual trots out. Tomorrow never comes at AG. 

Consistent 7 out of 10 Championship performers required.

Archived