IGNORED

Tomlin Off Then?

Hazelboy

1 minute ago, Moor2Sea said:

This is LJs third transfer window.

He said he needed three. 

Based on a three window transfer strategy I would have been expecting just a couple of additions in the last window - a matter of just fine tuning the machine. Seems to me we're not far short of needing a complete overhaul.

Last Summer transfers disaster cannot be repeated. Hope MA delivers some crackers, he needs to. 'Here and now' please, like virtually every other Club, adopt the approach that any incomers must improve the first team squad  - not the old 'ones for the future' carp that this Club continual trots out. Tomorrow never comes at AG. 

Consistent 7 out of 10 Championship performers required.

Agree with the here and now....but kinda expect them to be young here and now, with potential to be better as we improve.  Got to be ready to oust existing eleven or at least give them a serious challenge.

Need COD, Paterson, Brownhill to take forward their progression.

I really hope Marlon Pack has another improving season.  If he does he's gonna be a stand-out player.

According to Stockhausen Birmingham have rejected the chance to sign him.

For what it's worth I think it's the right choice to sell him. We looked a better team unit without him and although he can come up with the magic quite frankly he didn't do enough of it to warrant us sacrificing our team performances. Wish him the best of luck and there's no doubt he can play for a top team in the division with the right system and team. For the people using this as anti-Johnson ammunition , you're frankly pathetic and need to get that chip off your shoulder. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with the here and now....but kinda expect them to be young here and now, with potential to be better as we improve.  Got to be ready to oust existing eleven or at least give them a serious challenge.

Need COD, Paterson, Brownhill to take forward their progression.

I really hope Marlon Pack has another improving season.  If he does he's gonna be a stand-out player.

With all the 'youngsters' last season it's about consistency. No good not knowing whether you're going to get a 3 or an 8 out of 10 from one half to another let alone match to match. Championship is unforgiving.

9 minutes ago, WRERE said:

According to Stockhausen Birmingham have rejected the chance to sign him.

For what it's worth I think it's the right choice to sell him. We looked a better team unit without him and although he can come up with the magic quite frankly he didn't do enough of it to warrant us sacrificing our team performances. Wish him the best of luck and there's no doubt he can play for a top team in the division with the right system and team. For the people using this as anti-Johnson ammunition , you're frankly pathetic and need to get that chip off your shoulder. 

Maybe you can enlighten me, why is it pathetic for posters to make perceived anti- Johnson comments?

Unless I have missed something we have just avoided relegation after spending a decent amount of money and having the third top scorer in the league playing for us, albeit on loan - not to mention breaking the clubs record for consecutive defeats.

I strongly suspect that any club with that set of circumstances would have quite a number of supporters questioning the Head Coach.

3 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Just to add, the Club did apparently to extreme lengths to bring him in - again a poor show from the MA and LJ - another cock up to add to list.

No the player is fault here and the blame lays squarely with tomlin

he is lazy premadonna, the number of clubs he has had is proof of this,

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Sad in a way. He was our marquee signing last season. I just don't think we have a manager tactically astute enough to handle technical players like LT. A bit like his father with another LT...Lee Trundle. Total waste of talent due to mismanagement in my view. 

Accept he handled him rather well when he was on loan here,

but don't let those facts get in the way,

tomlin wants another signing on fee, he'll sign a 3 year deal and he won't see it out at his next club ether

21 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

With all the 'youngsters' last season it's about consistency. No good not knowing whether you're going to get a 3 or an 8 out of 10 from one half to another let alone match to match. Championship is unforgiving.

We need experience now to kick on,

3 or 4 solid oro's and we'll finish top10

3 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Just to add, the Club did apparently to extreme lengths to bring him in - again a poor show from the MA and LJ - another cock up to add to list.

Fudging hell Thatch, we all know you'd prefer LJ wasn't in the job but your fixation with linking anything slightly negative and attributing it as LJ failing (however tenuous) is becoming rather boring now mate.

Boo

For City, Tomo had all the skill in the world but lacked trust in his teammates. Far too many performances where he dropped deep to collect the ball and then attempted to beat five players. When he inevitably lost possession it often hurt us because he was in a place where we didn't need or expect to surrender the ball.

Lee, thanks for the good performances and glimpses of brilliance (especially at the end of 15/16).  Don't do a 'Jet' and waste the amazing talent you have.

47 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

That's the problem we had with Tomlin but we couldn't use the he's inexperienced excuse for him.

Tomlin is a player where you only see the best of him when he is in the right frame of mind, when he's fully fit, when he feels loved, when his sock drawer has been sorted out, when all the planets align.

Lee Tomlin only plays well when Lee Tomlin wants to. As soon as the chips are down he becomes a liability. 

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

I still don't see that the formation was anything like as rigid as that and still think Paterson and Taylor played just behind Tammy. Presumably in your view Paterson would be the fourth midfielder, playing on the left of the four yet he seemed to me to be more central than that.

The best comparison I can come up with is Pedro and Hazard playing just behind Costa rather than on the wings. Though they are of a marginally higher standard. :whistle:

Yes Paterson as the 4th midfielder.

I agree his movement often took him into central areas but his starting position was as an orthodox left or right midfielder. From there he's encouraged to cut in (the modern trend) as opposed to going outside the full back (the old fashioned way).  As for Taylor, his starting position was up top with Tammy and from there he would drop off to find pockets of space. 

That's what I thought I was looking at anyway. I suspect we are essentially agreeing but not explaining ourselves very well!

Funny old game, innit.   

LT really did not fit into any style of play we had last season, and with his confidence down he added nothing. All of that would have been put down as one of those transfers that did not work, apart from, like Mathews, we had him on loan before and knew exactly what we were getting. Thats the bit that is hard to understand. In any case, he needs to move on, and will be one of many that LJ needs to change or others that are trying to get as far from LJ as they can. It will be a far busier summer than it should have been after signing how many over the last 10 months ? I'm going to go for 6 contracted players out, 10 in between loans and perm. 

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes Paterson as the 4th midfielder.

I agree his movement often took him into central areas but his starting position was as an orthodox left or right midfielder. From there he's encouraged to cut in (the modern trend) as opposed to going outside the full back (the old fashioned way).  As for Taylor, his starting position was up top with Tammy and from there he would drop off to find pockets of space. 

That's what I thought I was looking at anyway. I suspect we are essentially agreeing but not explaining ourselves very well!

Funny old game, innit.   

You may be right and we are saying something similar. I suppose I'm assuming the traditional view of 4-4-2 involves 2 orthodox wingers sticking to the wing and getting crosses in, which we seem to agree is not the way we played.

Interesting discussion though, thanks.:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Tomlin has great ability...............but no application. There's nothing else to it, and people trying to make excuses for the bloke really need to remove their heads from their bottoms. The famed 'Jacki' was the same, and football has been littered with them since before time began.

The same was true of David Noble. It's so frustrating when such gifted players don't have the professionalism to make the most of their talent.

14 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Annoys me when people pick up on this All The Freaking Time...

BRISTOL , so what? Everyone knows what's meant..

In fact one of our simplest and more powerful chants from yesteryear was simply ..

" B R I S T O L''  followed by three claps and '' B R I S T O L''  again and the claps .. repeated .. chanted by the East End and joined in with by the whole of The Gate ... intimidating for opponents and powerfully uplifting for us..

Nothing ambiguous about using the word BRISTOL in the context of Bristol City ... we all know what it means cos we are the One Team In Bristol .. 

( the Gas can have South Glos or Bath if they want it .... but we are BRISTOL ... BCFC :city: )

Lets stop being so 'preciously pedantic' about it eh?  ...& no one confuses us with egg chasers either!

Pedantic,I?......City,Bristol City.....as you say yourself-Bristol City Football Club..

And thanks for the singing lesson...............CITY clap clap clap CITY...

Pedant.

Felt he'd be off ever since Jamie Mac answered Twentyman's question about him with a bit of a dodge - everything else he spoke on was straight up on (even nearly divulging our summer trip location), but with Tomlin he straight batted it.

Can't help but wonder if the removal of Pembo/introduction of Jamie Mac played a role in this; Pembo was in temp charge when Tomlin arrived on loan, and the latter helped play a big part up until the end of that season, wherein his influence has clearly diminished.

In addition to that, Jamie Mac talked about his admiration for GJ, Craig Levine and George Burley; I can't recall those three managers coddling talented-yet-precious players, and might speak to the lack of Tomlin seen under the new coaching team towards the end of the season.

Shame it's not worked out, but would say our best football was that towards the end of the season, and Tomlin wasn't central to that; I'd be more concerned right now if Paterson or Brownhill were rumoured to be off, as both impressed me greatly in the final few weeks.

Sunrise, sunset and all that; be interesting to see who might be willing and able to take Tomlin and make something of him.

Another player with undoubted class, that cost us dear, is off to pastures new. This makes an even bigger hole to fill after the loss of the best goalscorer outside the prem as well.

Of course there will be calls like; well LT was unfit/un coachable/no good for the squad etc .... why did LJ spend millions on him then?

LJ already has a mountain to climb to even repeat last seasons efforts and to those fans who think LT will not be missed need to wake up....he will be .....but lets not admit it cause that would be a slur on LJ.

15 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Another player with undoubted class, that cost us dear, is off to pastures new. This makes an even bigger hole to fill after the loss of the best goalscorer outside the prem as well.

Of course there will be calls like; well LT was unfit/un coachable/no good for the squad etc .... why did LJ spend millions on him then?

LJ already has a mountain to climb to even repeat last seasons efforts and to those fans who think LT will not be missed need to wake up....he will be .....but lets not admit it cause that would be a slur on LJ.

Why? Tomlin played scant part this season as it was. He cost us in more games than he helped us so why would his absence make the task harder? We finished the season in top six form and he hardly played. 

LJ spent millions on him because he came in on loan and impressed everyone. Ridiculous to hold that against him as 99.9% of the fan base wanted him here based on his loan spell.

The actual product we received was nothing like the sample....

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Tomlin played scant part this season as it We finished the season in top six form and he hardly played. 

The record books will show we finished 3 points off of league 1.

The second part of your statement above, is the best summary of Tomlin  I've read on here. :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Why? Tomlin played scant part this season as it was. He cost us in more games than he helped us so why would his absence make the task harder? We finished the season in top six form and he hardly played. 

LJ spent millions on him because he came in on loan and impressed everyone. Ridiculous to hold that against him as 99.9% of the fan base wanted him here based on his loan spell.

Almost Tony Dinning type proportions.

Agreed. Paterson showed he deserves his place in the side after his successful stint. He was a major factor in the up turn of form. You can't say Tomlin was. 

7 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

The record books will show we finished 3 points off of league 1.

The second part of your statement above, is the best summary of Tomlin  I've read on here. :thumbsup:

I'm not denying that we had a bad season. But in my opinion a large part of that story is trying anything to accommodate a player with a huge ego, on huge wages, who seemed to think a different set of rules applied when he was on the pitch.

I just don't think there's any place for that type of player in this league sadly, maybe every now and again it just clicks, with the right players around them. Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield...none of them have a 'Tomlin'. In fact Brighton and Huddersfield's whole ethos goes completely again the Tomlin's of this world. Teams based on hard graft and application rather than occasional flashes of individual brilliance.

07/08 for us was the same story. A team of fighters who would fight with their lives for their team mates and the knowledge that any great team is greater than the sum of its parts  

Birmingham stayed up on the last day and have declined the opportunity to sign him.

Surely if it's just the usual 'Bristol City ruining talented players' nonsense that gets trotted out every time a 'star' fails to produce here, they'd be bending over backwards to sign him, wouldn't they? 

Perhaps they can see he's more trouble than he's worth too? He'll finish his career with more clubs than Tiger Woods...they can't all be wrong. 

There are many things that we can and should blame LJ for but I think the decision to bring Tomlin here was the right call at the time. I think 99% of people on here would have made the same call based on his brief shop window display. 

28 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Have there been any rumours as to where Tomlin might be heading?

According to reports he's been offered around, rather than a deal concluded.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him end up at someone like Sheff Weds, Cardiff or Norwich.

Just now, Selred said:

According to reports he's been offered around, rather than a deal concluded.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him end up at someone like Sheff Weds, Cardiff or Norwich.

My worry is it has not worked out at two clubs for him now. Are those sorts of teams going to want to take the risk? He's (I hope) not going to be cheap and I doubt he is badly paid either...

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Funnily enough someone said that very thing to me back in March- reckoned he missed the penalty v Burton deliberately. I scoffed at the time but reading some stuff online about him in general makes me wonder...

I heard a similar story a while back, with the addition that Pemberton had him by the throat after the game, and this is what resulted in his sacking.

Who knows what the truth is???

:dunno:

Archived