IGNORED

Tomlin Off Then?

Hazelboy

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

The same was true of David Noble. It's so frustrating when such gifted players don't have the professionalism to make the most of their talent.

It's all about man management. Warnock/Redknapp would maximise that talent

Tomlin is a marquee player. He played a massive part in keeping up us but this season his magic seemed to wane. Personally, feel sorry that he is going. He is a quality player at this level and I feel he was not properly utilised by LJ. Something definately happened to take him out of the side and plainly there is an amicable parting of the ways here. I think the main issue is that he is a luxury player and we simply do not have the players or the tactics to utilise him.  Shame. 

Have to admit I really couldn't care less where he ends up. Love how some are blaming the club and LJ and not Tomlin for his piss poor half hearted performances this season. Laughable really.

I think the comparisons with Tony Dinning are a bit harsh to be fair. At least Tomlin did try a few times once signing permanently. Dinning just simply didn't bother at all once his feet were under the table so to speak.

What does surprise me more than anything, is that the majority of otib are actually agreeing on something. That in itself is more shocking than Tomlin leaving!!

Also on the subject of him actually leaving, there is still a chance that come the beginning of the season he will still be here. Let's not forget that he will be on a very good contract, and other clubs will be very aware that this is not the first time that Tomlin hasn't "fit in well" at a club.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't playing some part of preseason at the very least.

4 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Pedantic,I?......City,Bristol City.....as you say yourself-Bristol City Football Club..

And thanks for the singing lesson...............CITY clap clap clap CITY...

Pedant.

OK Bob whatever you say...

BTW it's a chant not a song ... B R I S T O L  interspersed with short triple bursts of percussive clapping .... I don't think a single word 'lyric' can really claim to be a song can it? (unless you know better, in which case fair enough bruce).

Give a shit, tbh...  I'm just thankful for the memories of going to 'Bristol' in my youth to watch Garland and Galley down the 'City Ground' and chanting and clapping  B R I S T O L along with thousands of fellow Reds.

11 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Maybe you can enlighten me, why is it pathetic for posters to make perceived anti- Johnson comments?

Unless I have missed something we have just avoided relegation after spending a decent amount of money and having the third top scorer in the league playing for us, albeit on loan - not to mention breaking the clubs record for consecutive defeats.

I strongly suspect that any club with that set of circumstances would have quite a number of supporters questioning the Head Coach.

I have no problem with people making anti-Johnson comments when it's applicable, but in this case we have a player who has been incredibly disappointing but some are trying this make this look like it's an LJ problem. Tomlin has a reputation for having a bad attitude and has fallen out with numerous managers , this isn't strictly anything to do with LJ's shortcomings but more to do with an attitude and work ethic of a player.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

I think the comparisons with Tony Dinning are a bit harsh to be fair. At least Tomlin did try a few times once signing permanently. Dinning just simply didn't bother at all once his feet were under the table so to speak.

What does surprise me more than anything, is that the majority of otib are actually agreeing on something. That in itself is more shocking than Tomlin leaving!!

Also on the subject of him actually leaving, there is still a chance that come the beginning of the season he will still be here. Let's not forget that he will be on a very good contract, and other clubs will be very aware that this is not the first time that Tomlin hasn't "fit in well" at a club.

I really wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't playing some part of preseason at the very least.

But it appears pre season has been a problem area previously. He arrived here on loan after being away from first team action at his former club and did alright. He "hyped" a move to us and had a pre season to prepare and give it a good go with all guns firing. It was obvious from the first game that he was no where near fit and had wasted the opportunity to maximise his talents playing first team football.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

According to reports he's been offered around, rather than a deal concluded.

Wouldnt be surprised to see him end up at someone like Sheff Weds, Cardiff or Norwich.

offered a round rather appropriate.

20 hours ago, weepywall said:

Be interesting to see the fee we get for him although it will probably be undisclosed, think we could take quite a big hit if we did pay 3 million, he can't be worth anything like that now.

I can just see SL right now...

"Oh well, thats the way the money goes...  P:gaah:P  ... goes the Weasel  :grr: ''

8 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

But it appears pre season has been a problem area previously. He arrived here on loan after being away from first team action at his former club and did alright. He "hyped" a move to us and had a pre season to prepare and give it a good go with all guns firing. It was obvious from the first game that he was no where near fit and had wasted the opportunity to maximise his talents playing first team football.

I posted this after a couple of games of last season, how unprofessional he was and got a lot of grief. His early season form and lack of fitness and conditioning was a disgrace for such a highly paid professional footballer.

6 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

I posted this after a couple of games of last season, how unprofessional he was and got a lot of grief. His early season form and lack of fitness and conditioning was a disgrace for such a highly paid professional footballer.

That's the sadness in that he has great ability-maybe it's time to wake up to the facts- being a professional footballer won't last forever..

11 minutes ago, WRERE said:

I have no problem with people making anti-Johnson comments when it's applicable, but in this case we have a player who has been incredibly disappointing but some are trying this make this look like it's an LJ problem. Tomlin has a reputation for having a bad attitude and has fallen out with numerous managers , this isn't strictly anything to do with LJ's shortcomings but more to do with an attitude and work ethic of a player.

LJ was well aware of Tomlin's reputation and even had the opportunity to study him for an extensive loan period before deciding on his suitability as a permanent signing.

If he was left with any doubts he could handle Tomlin in a way to get the best out of him, surely better to be on the safe side rather than obligate the club to a huge transfer fee and wages?

Whatever Tomlin's faults this season his own consistency of performance won't have been helped by LJ constantly fiddling with selection, formation and tactics.

If the manager seems so erratic with his decisions, is it any wonder the performances of individuals might follow suit?

I'm sure LJ thought that Tomlin's guile and talent would help propel us to the next level .

He , of course , knew LT's reputation but took the risk . Tomlin did seem very motivated to move here on a permanent deal and nearly everyone wanted him here so a ' No brainer ' as some would say .

There have been many allusions to personal problems this season, largely in reply to LT's lack of game time , so  reading  between the lines , the lad has not been able to focus fully on his football.

It is a shame . However our style is high tempo , high pressing and was more effective when LT was not in the side .

So good bye and good luck Lee .

20 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Tomlin started 32 games this season including cup matches.

Villa home 3-1 win, scored 1 assists 1

Fulham away 4-0 win, assists 1

Leeds home 1-0 win, assists 1

Ipswich home 2-0 win, scored 1

Sheff Wed away 2-2 draw, scored 1

Huddersfield home 4-0 win, scored 1

Rotherham away 2-2 draw, assists 1

Barnsley away 2-2 draw, scored 1 assists 1

He was in some way directly( within the team) responsible for 18 points this season, we finished with 54. If you take Tammy who was a loan player out of the equation, amybody care to come up with a few of City's lazy, fat, egotistical, troublemaking players who were directly involved in gaining more points for us this season than Tomlin?  

Just a shame that we can't get the best out of a undoubtedly talented player who clearly is happy with the club, fans, (maybe not management but it's all speculative)  and he moving on probably to improve a rival , I understand that every player needs to work for the team etc, etc, but also mostly every successful teams have talented players and we have arguably just lost our best two, me personally think it a shame as he is a match winner and think he will and should be needed next season, when he does go it will be thank you,sorry to see you leave will always remember your Huddersfield goal two seasons ago and free kick and craven cottage. 

2 minutes ago, collier said:

He was in some way directly( within the team) responsible for 18 points this season, we finished with 54. If you take Tammy who was a loan player out of the equation, amybody care to come up with a few of City's lazy, fat, egotistical, troublemaking players who were directly involved in gaining more points for us this season than Tomlin?  

Thank you - at last someone who is trying to introduce stats to all the OTIB experts who love to knock our unfit and unmotivated player. He is not unfit - he has admitted he had knocks early this season that prevented him firing on all cylinders. A fit LT in the right formation can still damage this division more than most. 

As for missing the penalty vs Burton deliberately - I suspect these posters also like to think the moon landings were faked as well.

Just now, cheshire_red said:

He has undoubted talent, however, his unprofessional attitude is hindering that talent to his and his teams detriment. 

Interested to hear which other City players you think share LT's unprofessional attitude?

After all many were out of the side for long periods, inconsistent in performance, and apparently 'not trusted'.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ was well aware of Tomlin's reputation and even had the opportunity to study him for an extensive loan period before deciding on his suitability as a permanent signing.

If he was left with any doubts he could handle Tomlin in a way to get the best out of him, surely better to be on the safe side rather than obligate the club to a huge transfer fee and wages?

Whatever Tomlin's faults this season his own consistency of performance won't have been helped by LJ constantly fiddling with selection, formation and tactics.

If the manager seems so erratic with his decisions, is it any wonder the performances of individuals might follow suit?

When we had him on loan we were picking up results and good performances so we may not have seen Tomlin's true personality as it was going his way. We also had fans begging Tomlin to sign for us and I imagine LJ knew that not bringing him in wouldn't go down well with the supporters. It was probably an oversight of Johnson too , so everyone has blame on their side imo. Yes I agree that the tinkering of tactics didn't help but we or him simply weren't performing well with him in the side , so should we really be accommodating Tomlin because of what he potentially brings to the table or should we find 11 players who are willing to work for one another like torwards the back end of the season?

I don't think Tomlin is all to blame but this isn't the first time it's happened in his career and I'm sure it won't be the last. He showed a huge lack of respect for Eddie Howe and Bournemouth when it was his big chance to play in the Prem, and that tells you a lot about him.

4 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

He has undoubted talent, however, his unprofessional attitude is hindering that talent to his and his teams detriment.

Is that the counter argument then yes? No facts, just regurgitating what you said about him before that is only opinion not fact. If you are a body language or something then I bow down to your knowledge of what the players attitudes are during training and games, if not try using some facts to beat the man down.

9 minutes ago, collier said:

By the way we lost 3-2 at Sheff Wed unless you mean the home game which was 2-2 and he did indeed score in? He won the penalty he scored as well.

What is noticeable about that list however is that a lot of his best moments came early on! By Barnsley away he had scored 2 and assisted 5! His influence fell like a stone. Didn't he get an assist v Blackburn too? Unsure about Rotherham one though.

23 minutes ago, collier said:

17 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Thank you - at last someone who is trying to introduce stats to all the OTIB experts who love to knock our unfit and unmotivated player. He is not unfit - he has admitted he had knocks early this season that prevented him firing on all cylinders. A fit LT in the right formation can still damage this division more than most. 

As for missing the penalty vs Burton deliberately - I suspect these posters also like to think the moon landings were faked as well.

A huge amount of context missing there Collier. 4 out of 5 of those wins highlighted were by margin's greater than one goal. To mark Tomlin up as earning 3 points for one assist in a four nil win (Fulham), one goal in a four nil win (Huddersfield) or even for 1 goal in a 2-0 victory (Ipswich) seems straw clutching.

The straw clutching alarm goes in to overdrive however when you include Sheff Weds away as Tomlin earning us 1 point. Do you forget this game - he has a pen to put us 3-1 up, misses against the post, GON gets sent off from the rebound and we actually lost 3-2 so not only was it incorrect to give him a point gained there, even if we did draw, it would be laughable to suggest his contribution was positive anyway which is why I hate these 'points contributed' stats so much.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

By the way we lost 3-2 at Sheff Wed unless you mean the home game which was 2-2 and he did indeed score in? He won the penalty he scored as well.

What is noticeable about that list however is that a lot of his best moments came early on! By Barnsley away he had scored 2 and assisted 5! His influence fell like a stone. Didn't he get an assist v Blackburn too? Unsure about Rotherham one though.

Yea sorry home not away in the Sheff wed game. The Rotherham one is a sort of grey area in that he shot which was blocked and then Tammy tapped in. Make of that what you will, it's an assist IMO but not one for others maybe.

Yea he was more influential early but then the entire teams form dropped like a stone, not just Tomlin's. It was obviously going to be hard for him to drag the entire team up on his own so he naturally fell down to everyone else's level and unfortunately stayed there.

Just now, 29AR said:

A huge amount of context missing there Collier. 4 out of 5 of those wins highlighted were by margin's greater than one goal. To mark Tomlin up as earning 3 points for one assist in a four nil win (Fulham), one goal in a four nil win (Huddersfield) or even for 1 goal in a 2-0 victory (Ipswich) seems straw clutching.

The straw clutching alarm goes in to overdrive however when you include Sheff Weds away as Tomlin earning us 1 point. Do you forget this game - he has a pen to put us 3-1 up, missins against the post, GON gets sent off and we actually lost 3-2 so you're incorrect to give him a point gained there.

I corrected the Sheff wed one as it was the home game. I also pointed out he was directly involved within the TEAM for the results. I didn't say he was a one man band doing all on his own or did you conveniently forget that so you could shoehorn in the straw clutching point?

If we use your way of looking at this season's games I guess Tammy never earned us 3 points in any game that we won by more than the odd goal then yes? or is it one rule for one and a different one for another??

1 minute ago, collier said:

I corrected the Sheff wed one as it was the home game. I also pointed out he was directly involved within the TEAM for the results. I didn't say he was a one man band doing all on his own or did you conveniently forget that so you could shoehorn in the straw clutching point?

If we use your way of looking at this season's games I guess Tammy never earned us 3 points in any game that we won by more than the odd goal then yes? or is it one rule for one and a different one for another??

I don't really see the value in "points earned per start" in any case. For instance the Fulham game where I'm disingenuously saying all he did was get one assist; in fact that could well have been his best ever game in our shirt, so I'm happy to contradict myself :)

Simply I struggle with any analysis other than LT has been abject and shit for us since becoming permanent. Perhaps I came across as a patronising twerp - apologies for that, but I do think there are a number who are at pains to mitigate LT or blame LJ and perhaps I just picked up on your post and then ran with it inappropriately.

As for Tammy - nah I just judge him by what he did on the pitch; same as I do LT :D 

Archived