IGNORED

Hull defeat cost us £112 million

Check out the picture.  Hope lansdown doesn't read the forum !

People thought the game was worth 60mil...it was actually worth almost twice that.  It's frightening. The stadium would have paid for itself and then some..

What's scary is that the play off final is going up and up in value. ...will the bubble burst ?

Screenshot_2017-05-29-13-44-04.png

It keeps bursting all the time in little controlled explosions because these income levels allow clubs to piss even more money away.

In that list QPR actually lost a fortune by spending their windfall on such "stars" as Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joey Barton, and Stephen "Did you spill my pint?" Caulker.  And Blackpool has just scraped out of the fourth division.

Hull defeat cost us amazing days out at Old Trafford, Anfield, White Hart Lane, Stamford Bridge, Emirates etc when I was still in my twenties and responsibility and care free! That's all I care about when I reflect on that crappy game! Sorry for going off on a tangent - just always feel a little gutted on the 'anniversary'!  

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What it doesn't show is the increase in expenditure due to increased transfer fees  , astronomical salaries demanded by Prem players and agent's fees .

This is revenue not profit .

Exactly. The money that the game is worth is a complete myth. The money is soaked up immediately through transfers and higher wages. Its not like its money in your pocket 

41 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Exactly. The money that the game is worth is a complete myth. The money is soaked up immediately through transfers and higher wages. Its not like its money in your pocket 

It can be if you`re sensible which I believe we would have been. We would have approached it as Burnley have IMO.

5 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Check out the picture.  Hope lansdown doesn't read the forum !

People thought the game was worth 60mil...it was actually worth almost twice that.  It's frightening. The stadium would have paid for itself and then some..

What's scary is that the play off final is going up and up in value. ...will the bubble burst ?

Screenshot_2017-05-29-13-44-04.png

I think we all know deep down that we'll coincide our PL promotion with something burstlike!

Saw it described as the £170m game- this years final- the other day.

On that chart...if it was us and say we had averaged 19k, our attendances would have probably gone up 40%.

Still money doesn't guarantee it all- but it sure helps! Just took a look at QPR and £123.8m to date from ONE season up. ONE! I assume that excludes the extra gate and commercial, yet we finished above them this year.  Those numbers are ludicrous but as we have seen in the CL the last few years, it doesn't guarantee dominance.

On 5/29/2017 at 19:17, Mr Popodopolous said:

Saw it described as the £170m game- this years final- the other day.

On that chart...if it was us and say we had averaged 19k, our attendances would have probably gone up 40%.

Still money doesn't guarantee it all- but it sure helps! Just took a look at QPR and £123.8m to date from ONE season up. ONE! I assume that excludes the extra gate and commercial, yet we finished above them this year.  Those numbers are ludicrous but as we have seen in the CL the last few years, it doesn't guarantee dominance.

If we ever made the top flight, I'd be happy with us sticking with pretty much the same team, bag the cash, and then make all the infrastructire/stadium modifications that are necessary for the long term, such as knocking down Wickes, buying up houses around the stadium, rebuilding the Atyeo as a huge massive single tiered home end.....that sort of thing.

Splashing the cash in the Premier doesn't guarantee staying in the prem, but making all the changes to Ashton Gate and beyond will last several generations.

It really didn't "cost" us that much.  It didn't really "cost" anything.  We missed out on the TV revenue, plus revenue from increased sales, etc.  But that would have been offset by an increase in transfer fees, wages, etc., which may have extended beyond our (probably brief) spell in the Prem.   Despite our league position, our squad then wasn't all that good, and if we'd not spent big having gone up, we'd have beaten Derby's record (low) points total.  The reality, as ever, is somewhere between the extremes.

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

If we ever made the top flight, I'd be happy with us sticking with pretty much the same team, bag the cash, and then make all the infrastructire/stadium modifications that are necessary for the long term, such as knocking down Wickes, buying up houses around the stadium, rebuilding the Atyeo as a huge massive single tiered home end.....that sort of thing.

Splashing the cash in the Premier doesn't guarantee staying in the prem, but making all the changes to Ashton Gate and beyond will last several generations.

Absolutely the right approach. Use the dosh to ensure that the club is still here in a hundred years rather than pay some bunch of past it pros 30k a week in a futile attempt to finish four from bottom.

TBH I believe the former is what we would do a la Burnley.

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

It really didn't "cost" us that much.  It didn't really "cost" anything.  We missed out on the TV revenue, plus revenue from increased sales, etc.  But that would have been offset by an increase in transfer fees, wages, etc., which may have extended beyond our (probably brief) spell in the Prem.   Despite our league position, our squad then wasn't all that good, and if we'd not spent big having gone up, we'd have beaten Derby's record (low) points total.  The reality, as ever, is somewhere between the extremes.

Bit like a losing 10/1 bet.

"that cost I over a ton !"   Where in reality it "cost" a tenner !

21 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Yes. Exactly how I see it. We weren't ready for the Prem by several miles, and we'd have pissed the money against the wall as per usual :(

On 29/05/2017 at 22:48, lenred said:

Hull defeat cost us amazing days out at Old Trafford, Anfield, White Hart Lane, Stamford Bridge, Emirates etc when I was still in my twenties and responsibility and care free! That's all I care about when I reflect on that crappy game! Sorry for going off on a tangent - just always feel a little gutted on the 'anniversary'!  

I'm still not over it.

Archived