IGNORED

Black strips of tape

Robbored

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just saw a substitution in the play off final and the guy had black tape on his abdomen. I've seen City players wearing the same type of thing on their thighs and calfs and often wondered what it's for?

Anyone know?

It called kinesiology tape and it creates tension across the skin to aid recovery from injury.

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It called kinesiology tape and it creates tension across the skin to aid recovery from injury.

Interesting.........I assume there's no chemicals involved so I wonder how it actually works. It's a topical measure and therefore theoretically it wont effect any muscles.   

There must be some scientific evidence that it's an effect treatment. I'll see if I can find any.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Interesting.........I assume there's no chemicals involved so I wonder how it actually works. It's a topical measure and therefore theoretically it wont effect any muscles.   

There must be some scientific evidence that it's an effect treatment. I'll see if I can find any.

https://kinesiotaping.com/about/what-is-the-kinesio-taping-method/

Basically pulling the skin and nerves away from the injury to alleviate the pain.

2 minutes ago, Rascal said:

It's probably as effective as the plaster on the nose in the 90s, vic on the shirt, or the ice bath. It's a load of bollox. 

Nothing can be as good as the liniment used in bygone days. The smell when players ran out of the tunnel at the beginning of the match was overpowering, but it helped to clear the sinuses if you had a cold. 

8 minutes ago, Rascal said:

It's probably as effective as the plaster on the nose in the 90s, vic on the shirt, or the ice bath. It's a load of bollox. 

I think you're right. 

A quick google revealed no solid evidence that is actually works unless you're a manufacturer of it of course......:facepalm:

Just now, pongo88 said:

Nothing can be as good as the liniment used in bygone days. The smell when players ran out of the tunnel at the beginning of the match was overpowering, but it helped to clear the sinuses if you had a cold. 

Honestly mate the smell of football in the 80s and early 90s was amazing, Pipe and cigar smoke, bovril, beer farts, liniment oil, even piss. 

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

We used to call it horse liniment. The old dirty trick of putting in a teammates jock strap was a common event.

Recent medical experiments show that it didn't actually effect any muscles and the warming sensation was entirely topical.

12 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Honestly mate the smell of football in the 80s and early 90s was amazing, Pipe and cigar smoke, bovril, beer farts, liniment oil, even piss. 

......and that was just the food outlets!

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We used to call it horse liniment. The old dirty trick of putting in a teammates jock strap was a common event.

Recent medical experiments show that it didn't actually effect any muscles and the warming sensation was entirely topical.

It was the effect of massaging that warmed the muscles and joints .

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think you're right. 

A quick google revealed no solid evidence that is actually works unless you're a manufacturer of it of course......:facepalm:

Like many things it's probably psychological. I just wonder how sticky it has to be to keep skin and muscles taught...sorts the men from the boys when that is ripped off after the games.*

*Please don't tell me that it just soaks off easily in the showers afterwards...I like to think of Flinty flinching as someone rips his tape off!

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Like many things it's probably psychological. I just wonder how sticky it has to be to keep skin and muscles taught...sorts the men from the boys when that is ripped off after the games.*

*Please don't tell me that it just soaks off easily in the showers afterwards...I like to think of Flinty flinching as someone rips his tape off!

I expect the area to be taped has to be carefully shaved, possibly with the application of essential oils, by a willing volunteer.

9 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I expect the area to be taped has to be carefully shaved, possibly with the application of essential oils, by a willing volunteer.

Yes but the tape wouldn't stick then, but I'm willing to experiment!

Taping and oiling Flinty? Job for Dolls!

Personally think there's a lot of placebo about this new tape. When I used to play (back in my halcyon days) it was proper tape: had to bite it hard to tear it, it stayed put all game and when it came to remove it you needed extra help from a teammate. One swift, decisive pull and no need for hair removal products.:o Ever.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Now we know what the M stands for...

Masochist!

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Like many things it's probably psychological. I just wonder how sticky it has to be to keep skin and muscles taught.....

There's no actual contact between the epidermis and the muscle mass so I really don't understand how it works. It's an idiosyncratic treatment..

4 hours ago, Rascal said:

Rascal, do you want to become one of us? You are sharp, witty, likeable and frankly more like a Bristol City fan than a Barnsley one  :laugh:

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Aden Flint flinching?  ffs  come on

31 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Aden Flint flinching?  ffs  come on

Have you seen the infamous quiz H2H on YouTube where he gets a ball to the jewels and later when being interviewed for RB I think, Pack gives Flinty's meat and two veg a punch?

Seen sacks of spuds go down slower than him... Meant to be an old school centre back, hard as nails and built like a tank. 

Just now, Septic Peg said:

Have you seen the infamous quiz H2H on YouTube where he gets a ball to the jewels and later when being interviewed for RB I think, Pack gives Flinty's meat and two veg a punch?

Seen sacks of spuds go down slower than him... Meant to be an old school centre back, hard as nails and built like a tank. 

Pegs, you seem to have a very very good memory of this  :laugh: NOT something imprinted in memory, I have to admit.

Archived