IGNORED

The maverick footballer....

Londoner

With Tomlin seemingly on his way out there seems to be a mix of.....he is too inconsistent and good for him to leave, to, LJ  is inept and should find a place for him and is to blame.

The answer is simple, it's the former. Looking at the successful teams in this league NONE of them have maverick players who are carried.....newcastle? Nope, Brighton Nope, Huddersfield nope the list goes on.....csn anyone actually identify a successful "maverick", "Tomlin esq" player in this league? 

There are 3 things that will lead to success....1) finances to attract talent 2) innovation 3) a strong defence....

Obvious or not.....thats the reality.

No team at this level can afford to have a player who strolls around, with little to no work ethic.  Knockaert works really hard as an example.

As for Tomlin, 15/16 he did work hard, 16/17, different story.  He had games where he did, but too many where he didn't.

Good to see that you deem your individual views on Tomlin important enough to bestow them upon us with their own unique thread. ;)

Its an interesting point, would be good to look back over the last 5 seasons and whether any promoted clubs had a Tomlin type player. Even in our double winning season, JET (similar issue), wasn't a first choice for most of the season whereas we had all of your '3 steps to success' in that side and won the double.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

With Tomlin seemingly on his way out there seems to be a mix of.....he is too inconsistent and good for him to leave, to, LJ  is inept and should find a place for him and is to blame.

The answer is simple, it's the former. Looking at the successful teams in this league NONE of them have maverick players who are carried.....newcastle? Nope, Brighton Nope, Huddersfield nope the list goes on.....csn anyone actually identify a successful "maverick", "Tomlin esq" player in this league? 

There are 3 things that will lead to success....1) finances to attract talent 2) innovation 3) a strong defence....

Obvious or not.....thats the reality.

Huddersfield have had neither a good defence (3 or more goals conceded eight times this season)  nor high finances, spending much less than us last summer.  

Reading conceded more than Huddersfield and spent less than us.  

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yet weirdly many supporters of this club still worship Dziekanowski, whose work rate made Tomlin look like Gary Shelton..

To be fair I think a lot of them, like myself, were very young when Jacki played.  I was about 11 I think and if you are worrying about work rate at 11 then that is a shame! 

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yet weirdly many supporters of this club still worship Dziekanowski, whose work rate made Tomlin look like Gary Shelton..

I lost count of the away games when the lazy sods Dziekanowski and Cole "didn't turn up" and only passed to a selected few other players.

It's supposed to be a team game.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I do get what you are saying but many of us loved Jacki ,he was brilliant to watch .But at times so was Tomlin .Work ethic is nearly everything if you want success but sometimes its great to see a magic bit of individual skill .

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

No arguments with that. Dziekanowski was a luxury, and a waste of a place a lot of the time. Celtic had their reasons for letting him go.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

No arguments with that. Dziekanowski was a luxury, and a waste of a place a lot of the time. Celtic had their reasons for letting him go.

Dziekanowski is one of many examples at City over the years where a quality forward comes in and the rest of the side are incapable of reading the game as well as him - Arthur Milton, Chris Crowe, come immediately to mind. The only quality forward  I have seen below the top division, playing for us, who overcame this problem was John Atyeo.

Well it depends on what you mean by maverick. If you mean somebody who gets the supporters off their seats when he gets the ball. I would class Scotty as a maverick - when ever he got the ball there would always be a buzz around the ground. Perhaps thats the last truly successful maverick we have had.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Dziekanowski and Shelton in the same sentence. I like sentence's like that, Graham!

I loved Jacki, he just had something about him. Every 3rd or 4th game he'd do something that took your breath away, something you just wouldn't expect to happen from a player in a Bristol City shirt. As @RedDave says, I was younger, I appreciated it more. Nowadays, give me a team of Gary Shelton's, who I always appreciated, but probably appreciated more after he had moved on

As for Tomlin, can't be arsed to read the thread. Hardly a shock, is it? And he set it up perfectly on the bank holiday knowing he'd get the fans talking and we wouldn't get anything from the club. Loves a drama, doesn't he? Shame it didn't work out, he just doesn't fit with what LJ wants, or can't be arsed to fit in. Whichever way it is, best for all that we move on

Was JET  a maverick? I  think a maverick only works for a team when the manager and the rest of the team accept them for what they are. Too often  teams don't recognise/accept what a talent they have in the team and this leads to discontent within the rest of the team.

On 5/30/2017 at 07:23, GrahamC said:

I was in my mid 20 when Jacki and Cole were up front for City

Always felt that side had the worst team spirit i have seen from a city team 

ps Jackie 7 goal in 43 app and nothing else

Shelton 24 goals in 150 app Plus loads of tackle and ran his socks off

Only one of them get into my favourite 11 team and it aint Jackie!!

Not sure I've  told this story before about Jacki

I was very friendly with Alan Crawfs when he was here as Youth Team manager

One pre season  , Crawfs was given the reigns for a pres season friendly (Luton IIRC) as Dennis Smith was away with the other half the squad

Jacki was in Crawfs squad

Crawfs eager as ever to impress spent a great deal of time in preparation and pre match spent a bit of time on shape and  what he wanted from each player on a wipe board

Getting to Jacki he spent  some sound bites praising him up as our playmaker and said Jacki I'd like you bending a run in here and here showing short spin and runs on the wipe board

Jacki watched intently , and in silence , and eventually got up , still saying nothing , took the marker pen from Crawfs and said 'Alan , Alan I no run here (Wipes run from board) , here (wipe) and here (wipe) ,

he then marks a small circle around the edge of the penalty area and says 'Jacki play here' , with that he handed the pen back to Crawfs and sat down again leaving Crawfs not knowing quite what to say !!!!!!  

:laughcont:  

Archived