IGNORED

What would make a successful transfer window for you?

What positions need to be filled ASAP?

I'm thinking a new GK to finally put an end to the merry-go-round of keepers we seem to have or at least to ease Lucic/O'Leary into the squad (wouldn't actually mind Giefer permanently but have seen that he's off to Augsburg), a strong defender (especially if Flint goes) a proven championship RB and a striker....not too much to ask although Engvall could get a chance next season, seems to be in good form for his current team in Sweden

We certainly need a RB (or two) , ST and a RM. We may also end up needing a CB if Flint leaves, maybe a new GK and I'd like to see us sign a ball winning midfielder. I'd like us to get rid of Reid, O'Neil , Golbourne and Magnusson (if we can get a decent fee + sell on).

1 hour ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I'm thinking a new GK to finally put an end to the merry-go-round of keepers we seem to have or at least to ease Lucic/O'Leary into the squad (wouldn't actually mind Giefer permanently but have seen that he's off to Augsburg), a strong defender (especially if Flint goes) a proven championship RB and a striker....not too much to ask although Engvall could get a chance next season, seems to be in good form for his current team in Sweden

Priority; two strikers & a right back..

Would be nice; Commanding,proven keeper & right mid/winger..

3 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I think we need experience above anything else, especially in the following roles:

• Centre back
  • Right back
  • Centre midfield

I'd also like to see some younger signings for the wings, and maybe another forward.

What I want is for LJ to succeed, and not a new Head Coach to arrive half way through the season with a different set of tactics and approach, which the players recruited by LJ this summer won't fit into.

12 minutes ago, WRERE said:

We certainly need a RB (or two) , ST and a RM. We may also end up needing a CB if Flint leaves, maybe a new GK and I'd like to see us sign a ball winning midfielder. I'd like us to get rid of Reid, O'Neil , Golbourne and Magnusson (if we can get a decent fee + sell on).

Magnusson? Why?

9 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What I want is for LJ to succeed, and not a new Head Coach to arrive half way through the season with a different set of tactics and approach, which the players recruited by LJ this summer won't fit into.

That's making the assumption that LJ is the person making the signings, which I very much doubt as it doesn't fit the head coach role. LJ's responsibility is towards coaching the first team, with only a bit part to play in landing players. It's one of the main criticisms of the club since we parted ways with GJ, having spent a lot of money on poor players.

That's not to say that your point is invalid. We need stability, but we also need a top-quality coach. Most importantly, we need to attract the right players. We seemed to have a good window last season, but many of our youth products have hardly set the world alight, so ultimately the window has to be deemed a failure.

A right back, two strikers. Possibly an upgrade on cover for Golbourne too.

Overall though I hope for not too much upheaval, if anything we signed too many players in the last year and a half. If it accelerated the change, then great! Just don't think a constant churn would benefit us- a squad of between 21 and 25 players. Hopefully see some more youth getting gametime too.

1 hour ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Getting a PhD in bio-chemistry; inventing a youth potion; persuading Alan Walsh to take it; having a 24 year old Walshy on the left wing next season.

I'd give him licence to cut in from the wing below the Dolman; two or three Walshy shuffles as he approaches the corner of the box, and then - with minimal back-lift, a rocket into the top corner of the net, taking the keepers hand off at the wrist on the way.

:wub:

tfj

Just now, Taxi for Johnson said:

Getting a PhD in bio-chemistry; inventing a youth potion; persuading Alan Walsh to take it; having a 24 year old Walshy on the left wing next season.

I'd give him licence to cut in from the wing below the Dolman; two or three Walshy shuffles as he approaches the corner of the box, and then - with minimal back-lift, a rocket into the top corner of the net, taking the keepers hand off at the wrist on the way.

tfj

........ if there is any left, I'd give it to Bob Taylor. I'd get Walshy to mentor Bob to harden up his powder puff shooting.

:yes:

tfj

24 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Magnusson? Why?

Wright and Flint are rightly ahead of him and I'm sure he doesn't want to be a back up or rotational player at his age. At the moment he's more of a luxury player although it may be worth trying him at LB during pre-season.

Just now, WRERE said:

Wright and Flint are rightly ahead of him and I'm sure he doesn't want to be a back up or rotational player at his age. At the moment he's more of a luxury player although it may be worth trying him at LB during pre-season.

I just don't get it with Wright-slow(very), positionally unaware-and lacking in presence..

7 minutes ago, WRERE said:

I wouldn't be so sure that he's seen of as a backup player right now. You could be right, but I have a feeling that he's the type of player Johnson sees as his ideal defender - ball-playing, calm etc.

I wouldn't be that shocked if we sold Flint to a Premier League team for a 7 figure sum and we saw Wright and Magnusson as an interesting partnership.

10 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

I just don't get it with Wright-slow(very), positionally unaware-and lacking in presence..

This has debated to death on here but imo Wright is our best centre back followed by Flint.

5 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I wouldn't be so sure that he's seen of as a backup player right now. You could be right, but I have a feeling that he's the type of player Johnson sees as his ideal defender - ball-playing, calm etc.

I wouldn't be that shocked if we sold Flint to a Premier League team for a 7 figure sum and we saw Wright and Magnusson as an interesting partnership.

Since January Magnusson has only played 232 minutes out of a possible 1980 whereas before he had played in the previous 24 games with 23 of them being the full 90. Maybe LJ is trying not to burn him out but he was rested so much surely he would've been fine after a few games. Or maybe there is something has gone on behind the scenes. He needs to improve his physicality and be more aggressive imo , but he does have a sense of grace about the way he plays which is nice to see.

Whatever positions/signings there needs to be (positions debated over and over again so won't bother listing again), I feel that the majority/all business needs to be done before pre-season starts. 

Make the relevant offers to players,agents clubs - whoever, make them good offers early and get everyone onboard ASAP. The promotion season showed us what a good preseason can do for the squad morale, so get as many in as possible for then. 

Get them playing as a unit, let Johnson find his best formation/line-up (preferably before Easter this year), and hit the ground running.

The only business that should be happening in August, is replacing someone who gets sold unexpectedly, or injured very early doors.

Johnson can't afford to have a period next season where we lose 3/4 + in a row, because as much as SL likes him and wants him to stay in charge, anything like this season's bad spell, he'll be gone. 

Wright and Maggers is the future if we want to progress. Now is the time to move Flint on whilst stock is high and can replace for younger, lower league version. Djuric will be a big player for us this year and will help aerially with set pieces if Flint goes 

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

To sort out the defence, and not just ones that turn up for half a season like we currently have

Wish we could get Baker back, other than that game against Blackburn last season he played great. Although I don't watch Villa so unsure if he's in the starting 11. 

I've always liked the look of Calum Paterson for both Hearts and Scotland at RB but I've read somewhere it's almost certain he will be going to Cardiff this window

Pace, strength and physical presence. Dont mind where on the pitch but we have far too many little'uns and get bullied out of games too easily. 

If im stating positions then GK,RB, CAM, RW ans 2 x strikers. 

Cheerio to golborne, reid, oneill and tomlin. 

9 hours ago, Super said:

GK, RB, LB, Goal Scoring Midfielder, Winger, Striker x 2.

6 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Pace, strength and physical presence. Dont mind where on the pitch but we have far too many little'uns and get bullied out of games too easily. 

If im stating positions then GK,RB, CAM, RW ans 2 x strikers. 

Cheerio to golborne, reid, oneill and tomlin. 

I'm not a million miles from you two.

To be a successful window:

- recruit early in the window to allow the squad to gel

- dispose of players at good prices

- 2/3rds of signings (or better - see 14/15) to make an impact and be regular starters, thus improving the first eleven, therefore the bench, and therefore the overall cover.

Any player brought in (other than obvious young'uns who are here to develop) are to be ready immediately.  If that means we only bring 3 or 4 genuine 'upgrades' then so be it.

We don't need players of the same ilk as ones we've got, e.g. No point getting another Matt Taylor, either get someone better or trust him.  Same with the keepers.  If you can't get anyone in for respectable money who's better than Frank, go with Frank (or Ivan for that matter).

We've done quantity, this window is about quality.

15 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

tfj

Nice sentiment but Walshy was not proven at this level! :whistle:

Our squad is full of "ones for the future" so hopefully we focus a lot more on experience. We need a couple of signings in the Paul Hartley/Wade Elliott/Aaron Wilbraham mould plus a Premier League loanee or two to compliament our young squad. Whenever we've had a succesful year, its always been down to having a good mix of youth and seasoned veterans.

That said, I thought O'Neil was the perfect signing for that last year... 

Archived