IGNORED

To those who celebrated staying up.

cidered abroad

Man City chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak told the club website he was not a happy man after the club finished third in the Premier League

"There's nothing that annoys me more than people either calling me or sending me a message congratulating me on third place," he said.

"My answer was pretty standard to everyone, 'don't congratulate me on getting third, there's nothing to congratulate, only congratulate me if we win the league'.

"So, this is not the ambition, not at all. There's nothing to celebrate. I think it's something which is important, it's critical, and I know it requires a lot of hard work, particularly in this league, to be in the top four, but our ambition is to win the league. And if not winning it, to go as close as physically possible to winning the league."

So remember this coming season, we should only celebrate promotion or a major cup win. Staying up isn't an achievement.

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Man City chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak told the club website he was not a happy man after the club finished third in the Premier League

"There's nothing that annoys me more than people either calling me or sending me a message congratulating me on third place," he said.

"My answer was pretty standard to everyone, 'don't congratulate me on getting third, there's nothing to congratulate, only congratulate me if we win the league'.

"So, this is not the ambition, not at all. There's nothing to celebrate. I think it's something which is important, it's critical, and I know it requires a lot of hard work, particularly in this league, to be in the top four, but our ambition is to win the league. And if not winning it, to go as close as physically possible to winning the league."

So remember this coming season, we should only celebrate promotion or a major cup win. Staying up isn't an achievement.

Maybe not, but you have to re-evaluate your position.

Imagine Leicester had just celebrated getting to 40 points last season and just took their foot of the gas because that was their objective achieved?

Staying up was worth celebrating for us as fans, based on our position in Feb / March and how bad it was looking.

My fear this coming season is relegation finally catches up with us, we've had 2 seasons of flirting with it, both with a 20 goal a season striker. So LJ'S infamous 3rd transfer window better turn up the goods or its back to Northern league 1 we go I'm afraid.

Just now, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Don't know anybody who actually celebrated staying up.

Plenty of us were relieved though.

Completely different thing.

Yeah - I was at Brighton and joined in with the songs about staying up but the fact I was relieved we ultimately avoided relegation is completely different to thinking being in that position was acceptable in the first place.

Of course you celebrate staying up, going down would've been disasterous. 12000 crowds rattling around in the new AG and the same league as Rovers. Would've been awful.

It's all relative to our situation, Man City's expectations are clearly far different to ours. When you get Guardiola and spend millions in the summer, you can forgive their owners for expecting a title.

46 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Try telling that to Burton Albion fans.

48 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The majority of football league clubs they celebrate for staying afloat, let alone staying up.

I still think we should be aiming a lot higher, it's still crazy that Bristol doesn't have a premier league club given the size of the city, monetary backing and some of the players we've had in

Probably just too difficult to compete against the teams like Villa, Newcastle etc who can throw near premier league wages at players and £5-10 million in transfer fees

Just now, Thatch35 said:

Plenty did celebrate a very poor season which was nearly a disaster of a season (3 points from it). Plenty celebrated after the last game, which was another poor poor performance against Brum. City should of sent them down. 'Fans' celebrating with LJ on the stage with the Wurzels, what a total embarrassment.

I'd say that what's embarrassing is you making stuff up. LJ wasn't on stage with the Wurzels.

8 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Plenty did celebrate a very poor season which was nearly a disaster of a season (3 points from it). Plenty celebrated after the last game, which was another poor poor performance against Brum. City should of sent them down. 'Fans' celebrating with LJ on the stage with the Wurzels, what a total embarrassment.

Fans with more sense, just received the appreciation from the players and left quietly, thinking how lucky City were, and where the hell does the management and current squad go from here.

Pretty miserable way to look at it, clearly last season was disappointing and nervy towards the end - but we didn't go down, why not celebrate it? Football is meant to be enjoyable primarily, achievement is relative to your current situation - towards the end of 16/17, staying up was an achievement given our awful form in the middle of the season.

28 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Can't compare us to man city, that's like comparing a banana to a pair of shoes,

steady improvment season on season is what we want, 12 to 8th place has to be the minimum next season,

I suspect a certain Billy Connolly might disagree.

Image result for billy connolly banana boots

26 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Roma just sacked their manager after finishing runners up to Juve and qualifying for the champions league.

And Dortmund just sacked theirs for coming 3rd- in a season of relative transition as they lost 3 key players, and won the German Cup their first trophy in 3 years. (And if you don't class a Super cup as a real trophy, then 5 years)!

On the other hand, relative to start of season no, perhaps not celebrate. However the loud celebrations I recall were post the 3-2 v Barnsley. I can see both sides tbh.

PS- Tuchel actually was linked with Brentford not so long ago...one for Steve to go and get?? :whistle:

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Did anybody celebrate staying up?

There's a big difference between that and being happy that we didn't go down.

I still haven't drunk my bottle of Freixenet that Father Christmas brought me. I didn't feel the season warranted a celebration.

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

That's not relevant to the point that you have fabricated something to fuel your agenda.

Was he not onstage bouncing?  Sure there was a video on here somewhere.

oh yeah here you go:

Sorry if this doesn't suit your agenda.

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

He was not on stage with the Wurzels. That was the allegation. That is fake news. 

Lee Johnson engaged with fans at the event. If that's a crime, lock him up and throw away the key.

oh ffs, so you were just being pedantic.  I'd already guessed.

I wish the mods would do something about the hideous Americanism that is 'fake news', it appears to be the new 'simples' or 'dot com'.  

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Did anybody celebrate staying up?

There's a big difference between that and being happy that we didn't go down.

Plenty were celebrating as if we'd won the league.

This season was nothing short of shambolic with a mildly average finish. Fair play to the Man City Arab who wants nothing but success. Bristol City should be challenging for play offs, not settling for avoiding relegation.

Archived