IGNORED

Scottish football (Merged)

Robbored

With the Scotland v England game coming up I get the same feeling about the Scottish game every time we play them -that its pretty shite and of poor quality.

Yet again Celitic with the league and both the cups. Sure the treble is unusual but for one club to dominate has to be a negative effect in their game. There's no serious competition with Rangers still recovering and only Aberdeen can mount any kind of challenge.

Celtic go into the Champions League and struggle and recently got stuffed 8-0 by Barca. 

Personaly I think the Scottish league is laughable but then I've always thought that.

18 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

Fascinating insight into Robbored's thoughts on Scottish football. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for that RZ.

It is the silly season after all so I though a silly thread would be appropriate.

21 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

That's why I'm here. Celtic (or "Celitic" as you prefer to call them) were not too shoddy in 1967. 

First British club to win the European Cup and they deserved much praise - 50 years ago.........:facepalm:

To be serious for a moment, Scottish football is indeed, sh!te. 

However in the 1980s/90s it wasn't just Rangers (IIRC beating Leeds?) and Celtic, but Dundee Utd and Aberdeen reaching high levels, even winning European competition.

Question is what went wrong?

As coincidence, the Beeb published an article about Scotlands 1982 U18 champs today. Names you'll recognise like Nevin, McStay, Clarke. The question is why it wasn't maintained/kicked on. Andy Roxburghs quote about numbers playing seems quite apt, and could equally apply to England in the last 10 years...

1982 European Under-18 Championship: When Scotland's kids conquered Europe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40076061

Celtic and Rangers had good sides up until the early 00's but the standard from the other sides in Hearts, Aberdeen and co dropped which mean the 2 Old Firm sides havent had to do much to improve to win the League.

The last world class player in that league was Henrik Larsson.

10 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Their record against English Premier League teams isn't too shabby :)

One off games don't count. Nor do matches over two legs.

Its the standard of the Scottish leagues that's pretty shite.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I thought Robbored had no interest in football outside of Bristol City (and Rovers when they are at Wembley)

Or at least that is what he tells us...

I don't usually but as City are on the summer break there's not much to discuss. 

Just trying to help the threads turning over.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don't usually but as City are on the summer break there's not much to discuss. 

Just trying to help the threads turning over.

Do you mind, some of us are trying to I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post! 

Edit

Ha - caught by RR's own filter. I'm trying to say catch some z's 

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Do you mind, some of us are trying to I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post! 

Edit

Ha - caught by RR's own filter. I'm trying to say catch some z's 

you have fifty likes zzz

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

50 years ago.........:facepalm:

At which time you were probably already strutting your stuff in Backwell's bowls team. So, as Don Silvio states above, you are wrong to believe that Scottish football was "always"...how did you put it?..."pretty shite and of poor quality".

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

One off games don't count. Nor do matches over two legs.

Its the standard of the Scottish leagues that's pretty shite.

Awwww, we have a fair few football league trophies to hand back :sad26:

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

This could become a classic

Not sure it will too be a classic we need the following.

@NTTDS will have too take a plane to Newcastle and back

@Robbored will need to drive his gas mates to Wembley

Giles will need to get married

what ever happened to Stacey?

The Rougier brothers (now to go back to scotland) are rarer than our browns

1 hour ago, RedZepperin said:

That's why I'm here. Celtic (or "Celitic" as you prefer to call them) were not too shoddy in 1967. 

I wasnt too shoddy in 1967. As a mod I had plenty of mohair suits and looked like a cool dude. Unfortunately it's now 2017 and I've gone downhill a bit 

There's nobody able to compete and force Celtic further than where they are. The next best rival is not even close still and the money is obviously lacking.

To be fair, many countries of Scotland's profile/rep don't make an impact in European compos, do they? So it's standard and a sign of the 'money ploughing' times.

Are there actually any countries who are similar in level with the SPL who can/have vouch for a strong European push in recent times?

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

With the Scotland v England game coming up I get the same feeling about the Scottish game every time we play them -that its pretty shite and of poor quality.

Yet again Celitic with the league and both the cups. Sure the treble is unusual but for one club to dominate has to be a negative effect in their game. There's no serious competition with Rangers still recovering and only Aberdeen can mount any kind of challenge.

Celtic go into the Champions League and struggle and recently got stuffed 8-0 by Barca. 

Personaly I think the Scottish league is laughable but then I've always thought that.

To be fair they had an absolute stinker of a group. They might have only got three points and not won a game but I think that losing three out of six matches against Barcelona, Man City and Monchengladbach wasn't a horrendous effort considering the respective squads.

Archived