IGNORED

Scottish football (Merged)

Robbored

Why is there a suggestion of the Glasgow pair coming into the English league system? It's at least seven years since Rangers were Scotland,s second best team. If (and i wouldn't want it to happen), but IF two Scottish teams were to play in OUR system, then surely it should be Celtic & Aberdeen?

If the criteria is fan base rather than playing ability, then Sunderland not Swansea should be in the Prem.

1 hour ago, oldrosie said:

Just as Swansea and Cardiff are allowed into the English League, ditto Celtic and Rangers ... 

It's at least seven years since Rangers were Scotland,s second best team. If two Scottish teams were to play in OUR system, then surely it should be Celtic & Aberdeen?

Having been admitted to the league's bottom tier, all Welsh clubs were treated like any English club and had to work their way up the divisions. For the record they were Aberdare, Cardiff, Merthyr, Newport, Swansea and Wrexham.

OK folks the draw has been made for the first two qualifying rounds of the Champions league.

TNS, Welsh champions, play the Gibraltar league champions. San Marino's league champions play Linfield from Northern Ireland. The winners of that game meet Celtic in the 2nd qualifying round.

Yes; Scottish clubs are held in such low esteem by UEFA, their champions enter the Champions League at the 2nd qualifying round stage.

AFAIK the top top two in England's Prem go straight to the Group stage, those finishing 3rd & 4th play in the final qualifying round.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK folks the draw has been made for the first two qualifying rounds of the Champions league.

TNS, Welsh champions, play the Gibraltar league champions. San Marino's league champions play Linfield from Northern Ireland. The winners of that game meet Celtic in the 2nd qualifying round.

Yes; Scottish clubs are held in such low esteem by UEFA, their champions enter the Champions League at the 2nd qualifying round stage.

AFAIK the top top two in England's Prem go straight to the Group stage, those finishing 3rd & 4th play in the final qualifying round.

This helps to explain how it works

http://www.footballseeding.com/club-ranking/a2016-2017/

http://www.footballseeding.com/european-cups/champions-league-seeding-17-18/

30 minutes ago, 22A said:

Potentially Celtic could play Linfield on 12th July in Belfast. Now that would be utter carnage!!!

2 hours ago, SARJ said:

Potentially Celtic could play Linfield on 12th July in Belfast. Now that would be utter carnage!!!

For those who don't realise; Linfield is a Protestant club who play in a very similar strip to Glasgow Rangers.

Linfield, Rangers and Chelsea refer to themselves as 'the Blues brothers'. They have/had a joint fanzine back in the day. I can't see Linfield selling any tickets to Celtic for this game, it would be more sensible to simply have a beam back to Celtic Park.

7 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Linfield, Rangers and Chelsea refer to themselves as 'the Blues brothers'. They have/had a joint fanzine back in the day. I can't see Linfield selling any tickets to Celtic for this game, it would be more sensible to simply have a beam back to Celtic Park.

They are saying locally it will be on the 11th with a 5pm kick off. **** It, Im gonna go to the away leg!

39 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Me and my mate were talking about this very subject today. Rangers will make them very welcome in Glasgow!

Barnsley are taking some of the best young scottish talent whether it will pay off or not remains to be seen but stevie mallan and Liam lindsay are two good wee players I like alot. Really Think wee missed a trick with jason cummings. I would have liked him here. Never mind lets hope we get some good talent in soon 

55 minutes ago, fergie1919 said:

Barnsley are taking some of the best young scottish talent whether it will pay off or not remains to be seen but stevie mallan and Liam lindsay are two good wee players I like alot. Really Think wee missed a trick with jason cummings. I would have liked him here. Never mind lets hope we get some good talent in soon 

There are plenty of very decent Scottish players around and I'm sure many of them would love the chance to play down south but the SPL is a two horse race and still a pretty shite standard so often the Scottish lads that do move south don't actually make an impact. 

Some do of course.

On 19/06/2017 at 15:29, SARJ said:

"Oh it is old but it is beautiful and it's colours they are fine...it was worn at Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen and The Boyne....my Father wore it as a youth in the bygone days of yore...and it's on the 12th I proudly wear...."

On 20/06/2017 at 22:55, BS4 on Tour... said:

"Oh it is old but it is beautiful and it's colours they are fine...it was worn at Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen and The Boyne....my Father wore it as a youth in the bygone days of yore...and it's on the 12th I proudly wear...."

The sash Mia Farrow wore.

On 6/20/2017 at 22:55, BS4 on Tour... said:

Although, presumably for geographical reasons if no other, the Linfield fans will not be singing 'The Famine's Over'. 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Although, presumably for geographical reasons if no other, the Linfield fans will not be singing 'The Famine's Over'. 

They won't have anyone to sing to, Celtic aren't taking their allocation of tickets, which I think is bang out of order.

Apparently after discussions between the two clubs and the PSNI it is felt they cannot guarantee the safety of Celtic supporters. If Linfield can't control their fans then they shouldn't be playing in the Champions League!

20 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

They won't have anyone to sing to, Celtic aren't taking their allocation of tickets, which I think is bang out of order.

Apparently after discussions between the two clubs and the PSNI it is felt they cannot guarantee the safety of Celtic supporters. If Linfield can't control their fans then they shouldn't be playing in the Champions League!

Surely this is best for both sets of supporters safety?

19 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Linfield's ground is situated just off Sandy Row. As in you are now entering Loyalist Sandy Row.

It works both ways. Could Celtic guarantee given Celtic supporters history they would behave in a respectful manner? No is the answer. The consequences are not just a normal smack in the mouth ... Not worth it.

Archived