IGNORED

Scottish football (Merged)

Robbored

2 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Bs4 on tour seems like a nice enough guy, but I'm sure any discussion on Celtic leads him down this same route, he must have that video saved in his favourites. (Apologies if I'm getting you confused with someone else).

This discussion is so often difficult to have as you either get the absolute melons on each end of the spectrum that make any discourse impossible, or you get those that make a few reasonable points but are so obviously clouded in their bias that the conversation will always ultimately veer in the same direction. Their own experiences and memories will be twisted and misremembered and confused and regurgitated until it just so happens to match the opinion they had already formed long ago.

In all honesty, I have been to many Celtic games, and for a long period I attended every game they played in England, and I've been witness to both sides of the coin. Yes I've seen  and heard the IRA chanting, the political and ill-judged singing and conversation, the fans so drunk that they are nothing but a nuisance to the local population. I also know that year by year the number of those participating appears to decrease (well, maybe not the drunkenness!). I also know that 95% of all the Celtic fans I've encountered are there for nothing more than to go and passionately support the football club they love, like each one of you do every time you go to a City match. 

Potentially the most interesting observation I could make after years of going to these games, is that in actual fact I have witnessed just as much (probably more) abuse of a sectarian nature dished out towards Celtic players and fans than I've seen given in the other direction. I certainly feel like even the smallest mention of Celtic brings out the worst in some people who have a very extreme and ignorant viewpoint.

Both Rangers and Celtic are fantastically supported, massive clubs, with a small but vocal toxic element. Trying to distinguish one as good and one as bad does nothing but immediately show your ingrained bias.

Thanks for this response, you make some good points. However, I am only talking from experience....and the nine UEFA fines in five seasons for Celtic for the political behaviour of their fans (conveniently ignored by @Miah Dennehyin his or her response) suggests that a large number of Celtic fans are political. But I appreciate you are probably only talking from your experiences too, which is fair enough.

This seems to have escalated a bit. I only responded to @Miah Dennehy's assertion that at Celtic matches you will only find pubs full of fans talking about football and not politics - I've seen so much to prove that isn't true and UEFA has found enough evidence to prove that isn't true.

And if Celtic fans aren't political why have I seen Union Jack flags confiscated from away fans as they enter Parkhead with the reason given that they will 'offend the home support.' ?!

I'm happy to leave this here, agree to disagree and move on...

Enjoy your weekend.

5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well done, you found a clip on you tube. Unfortunately videos of people chatting in pubs dont tend to make it onto social media for obvious reasons. If you like I can go and find plenty of clips of City fans behaving like *****, or Rovers fans, or West Ham fans, or Derby fans ad infinitum.

Of course there are loads of videos of football fans acting disgracefully, but you said Celtic fans talk about football and not politics - that is very different and that video proves you are incorrect....

56 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thanks for this response, you make some good points. However, I am only talking from experience....and the nine UEFA fines in five seasons for Celtic for the political behaviour of their fans (conveniently ignored by @Miah Dennehyin his or her response) suggests that a large number of Celtic fans are political. But I appreciate you are probably only talking from your experiences too, which is fair enough.

This seems to have escalated a bit. I only responded to @Miah Dennehy's assertion that at Celtic matches you will only find pubs full of fans talking about football and not politics - I've seen so much to prove that isn't true and UEFA has found enough evidence to prove that isn't true.

And if Celtic fans aren't political why have I seen Union Jack flags confiscated from away fans as they enter Parkhead with the reason given that they will 'offend the home support.' ?!

I'm happy to leave this here, agree to disagree and move on...

Enjoy your weekend.

Enjoy yours too- but have you ever seen a picture of the Rangers away support at Parkhead?

On 08/07/2017 at 19:16, Miah Dennehy said:

Enjoy yours too- but have you ever seen a picture of the Rangers away support at Parkhead?

Yes I have, and I've been there when Union Jacks were taken from away fans as they entered the stadium because they 'might cause offence to the home fans' - the flag of the United Kingdom might cause offence - in Glasgow...

Have you seen the NINE fines given to Celtic by UEFA in FIVE seasons for the political behaviour of their fans? I've mentioned it a few times to you yet you continually choose to ignore it...despite your assertion that Celtic fans 'only talk about football and not politics' - utter nonsense...

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes I have, and I've been there when Union Jacks were taken from away fans as they entered the stadium because they 'might cause offence to the home fans' - the flag of the United Kingdom might cause offence - in Glasgow...

Have you seen the NINE fines given to Celtic by UEFA in FIVE seasons for the political behaviour of their fans? I've mentioned it a few times to you yet you continually choose to ignore it...despite your assertion that Celtic fans 'only talk about football and not politics' - utter nonsense...

Again- I have never said this. I said if you go into the pubs around the ground you will generally hear people talking football- pretty much like any ground.

Yes of course there is a political element to some of Celtics support, and I don't have a huge problem with that but what you don't seem to grasp (maybe I'm not making a very good fist of explaining it)  is that when you go to watch a football match, people tend to talk about football! I have been involved in hundreds of pre match conversations about the merits of various players & managers over the years but I have yet to be asked about my opinion of the Anglo Irish treaty of 1921 and whether Michael Collins sold out or not (For the record I think he went for compromise and peace in a similar way McGuiness did years later :)) 

Yes I am aware of the fines Celtic have received, and have been at some of the games where the 'offences' took place. Heinous crimes such as 'lateral movement' which the fans did during a certain chant that looked fantastic from the other end of the ground. Flying Palestinian flags (Which personally I thought was a bit antagonistic but like you say- fancy being offended by a flag. And then the awful crime  of unfurling a banner that basically stated 'One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter' which surely is common sense. As for Union flags being taken away, well I will have to take your word for it, but security must be slipping at Celtic Park in recent years because when Rangers come to town its like the Silver Jubilee all over again!

I think Celtic being fined by UEFA for shite like that is about as relevant as England & Scotland being fined by FIFA for wearing poppies on their shirt.

A chain of back packers hostels asked on line "What's the best thing to do in Europe this Summer"? Others were posting such obvious things as "Sailing around Croatia", "walking round Amsterdam" or "Hitting Barcelona beach". My suggestion made it to their top 25!"

"What's the best thing to do in Europe in the Summer? " - put out a team of part timers and still beat the "mighty" Glasgow Rangers!

On 15/07/2017 at 07:01, Miah Dennehy said:

Again- I have never said this. I said if you go into the pubs around the ground you will generally hear people talking football- pretty much like any ground.

Yes of course there is a political element to some of Celtics support, and I don't have a huge problem with that but what you don't seem to grasp (maybe I'm not making a very good fist of explaining it)  is that when you go to watch a football match, people tend to talk about football! I have been involved in hundreds of pre match conversations about the merits of various players & managers over the years but I have yet to be asked about my opinion of the Anglo Irish treaty of 1921 and whether Michael Collins sold out or not (For the record I think he went for compromise and peace in a similar way McGuiness did years later :)) 

Yes I am aware of the fines Celtic have received, and have been at some of the games where the 'offences' took place. Heinous crimes such as 'lateral movement' which the fans did during a certain chant that looked fantastic from the other end of the ground. Flying Palestinian flags (Which personally I thought was a bit antagonistic but like you say- fancy being offended by a flag. And then the awful crime  of unfurling a banner that basically stated 'One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter' which surely is common sense. As for Union flags being taken away, well I will have to take your word for it, but security must be slipping at Celtic Park in recent years because when Rangers come to town its like the Silver Jubilee all over again!

I think Celtic being fined by UEFA for shite like that is about as relevant as England & Scotland being fined by FIFA for wearing poppies on their shirt.

Oh dear, a TENTH fine for Celtic in five years for the political mis-behaviour of their fans, this time against Linfield on the 19 July...

They unfurled banners featuring the Easter Lily badge which commemorates the 1916 Easter Rising and which is also associated with the IRA and another banner mimicking the 'Sniper at Work' banners mounted by The IRA during The Troubles...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/celtic/celtic-hit-with-20600-illicit-banner-fine-by-uefa-following-linfield-game-at-parkhead-35977603.html

They just can't help themselves...but as you said, Celtic fans just talk about football, they don't talk about politics....

On 7/8/2017 at 15:09, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Bs4 on tour seems like a nice enough guy, but I'm sure any discussion on Celtic leads him down this same route, he must have that video saved in his favourites. (Apologies if I'm getting you confused with someone else).

If you google Green Brigade a multitude of links will appear. The latest concerning a paramilitary banner v Linfield is part of a line stretching back for a decade. The Green Brigade make NO secret of their support for republican terrorism, they openly display it within Parkhead.

At Ashton Gate BCFC banned small flags featuring the words Ultra and Loyal. At Parkhead a pro terrorist fan group gets it own part of the stadium and is allowed to display enormous banners displaying links to terrorism. 

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh dear, a TENTH fine for Celtic in five years for the political mis-behaviour of their fans, this time against Linfield on the 19 July...

They unfurled banners featuring the Easter Lily badge which commemorates the 1916 Easter Rising and which is also associated with the IRA and another banner mimicking the 'Sniper at Work' banners mounted by The IRA during The Troubles...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/celtic/celtic-hit-with-20600-illicit-banner-fine-by-uefa-following-linfield-game-at-parkhead-35977603.html

They just can't help themselves...but as you said, Celtic fans just talk about football, they don't talk about politics....

As I have now said on countless occasions , I didn't say that at all,

The Easter Rising is something the Irish celebrate, and why wouldn't they! Maybe you should read some history,

As for the paramilitary banner, I thought there was absolutely no need for it whatsoever. It didn't make a statement of any sort, it was just deliberately antagonistic,

13 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

As I have now said on countless occasions , I didn't say that at all,

The Easter Rising is something the Irish celebrate, and why wouldn't they! Maybe you should read some history,

As for the paramilitary banner, I thought there was absolutely no need for it whatsoever. It didn't make a statement of any sort, it was just deliberately antagonistic,

In post 231 on this thread you said "If you go to a Celtic match you will find packed pubs full of people talking about football and not politics..."

So you did say it and as I've said countless times I've been in pubs full of Celtic fans chanting about anything but football, usually pro-IRA stuff etc.

Ten fines in five seasons for inappropriate political behaviour by Celtic fans during European matches suggests your rose-tinted spectacles aren't seeing the truth...

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In post 231 on this thread you said "If you go to a Celtic match you will find packed pubs full of people talking about football and not politics..."

So you did say it and as I've said countless times I've been in pubs full of Celtic fans chanting about anything but football, usually pro-IRA stuff etc.

Ten fines in five seasons for inappropriate political behaviour by Celtic fans during European matches suggests your rose-tinted spectacles aren't seeing the truth...

I really cant be ****** with it any more, but you continue to say that I said 'Celtic fans never talk about politics' which is very different from 'if you go to a Celtic match you will find pubs full of people talking about football and not politics'.  It's a bit like saying 'City fans don't talk about politics' but I'm sure a few of you have made remarks about Brexit etc over a pint before the game,  but I bet the huge majority of the chat is about football, the same as it is at Celtic, Rangers, Rovers or Accrington Stanley.

I may have vaguely agreed with the political point of a couple of the Green Brigades political banners  over the years , although I certainly thought the ones against Linfield were crass and just designed to provoke a reaction and whether they have any place at a football match is another debate entirely.

Uefa fines? Do me a favour, have you seen the list of offences that UEFA hand fines out for? Did you agree with the fines for British clubs wearing the poppy for example?

You obviously don't like Celtic, and that's  entirely up to you, although I do find it odd that you seemingly often frequent pubs full of Celtic fans, who apparently do nothing but talk politics when you are there and yes I have heard IRA songs in pubs, although I have rarely heard songs about the Provisional IRA, the huge majority are what are called rebel songs and are generally about the Easter Rising which is celebrated all over Ireland. I could point out that Rangers favourite sectarian song isn't anything to do with the Battle of the Boyne, but ins in fact about a bunch of thugs from Glasgow who enjoyed slashing catholics with razors in the 1930s, but to be fair the HUGE majority of Rangers fans I know (and I know a lot) are far more interested in football than sectarian violence.

Maybe we could call a truce as this thread was about Scottish Football generally and I note from your earlier posts we seem to be pretty much in agreement about the standard!

The Scottish League Cup. I know the first round comprises some mini leagues of five teams with the group winners progressing to the knock out stages. However, how are points in these mini leagues awarded? It's not always three for a win and one for a draw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-league-cup/table

For instance in Group A, Brechin & Forfar have both drawn one game, but Brechin have two points and Forfar just one. In Group D, Ross W2 D1 giving eight points. Hibernian W2 D1 giving seven points. 

Ah OK, I've now found out why, but it still seems odd for a league based competition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_League_Cup

In the group phase, three points are given for a win and one point for a draw. If matches are level after ninety minutes, a penalty shoot-out is held with the winning team gaining a bonus point.

Until 1995, the winners of the Scottish League Cup were granted a place in the UEFA Cup, although this privilege was rarely invoked as the winning teams usually qualified for Europe by some other means such as winning the League Championship or Scottish Cup. The most recent example was Raith Rovers who represented Scotland in the 1995–96 UEFA Cup after winning the League Cup the previous season as a First Division club. This privilege has since been discontinued due to the reduction in the number of European places granted to Scottish clubs.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I really cant be ****** with it any more, but you continue to say that I said 'Celtic fans never talk about politics' which is very different from 'if you go to a Celtic match you will find pubs full of people talking about football and not politics'.  It's a bit like saying 'City fans don't talk about politics' but I'm sure a few of you have made remarks about Brexit etc over a pint before the game,  but I bet the huge majority of the chat is about football, the same as it is at Celtic, Rangers, Rovers or Accrington Stanley.

I may have vaguely agreed with the political point of a couple of the Green Brigades political banners  over the years , although I certainly thought the ones against Linfield were crass and just designed to provoke a reaction and whether they have any place at a football match is another debate entirely.

Uefa fines? Do me a favour, have you seen the list of offences that UEFA hand fines out for? Did you agree with the fines for British clubs wearing the poppy for example?

You obviously don't like Celtic, and that's  entirely up to you, although I do find it odd that you seemingly often frequent pubs full of Celtic fans, who apparently do nothing but talk politics when you are there and yes I have heard IRA songs in pubs, although I have rarely heard songs about the Provisional IRA, the huge majority are what are called rebel songs and are generally about the Easter Rising which is celebrated all over Ireland. I could point out that Rangers favourite sectarian song isn't anything to do with the Battle of the Boyne, but ins in fact about a bunch of thugs from Glasgow who enjoyed slashing catholics with razors in the 1930s, but to be fair the HUGE majority of Rangers fans I know (and I know a lot) are far more interested in football than sectarian violence.

Maybe we could call a truce as this thread was about Scottish Football generally and I note from your earlier posts we seem to be pretty much in agreement about the standard!

Cheers for the reply....I've mostly frequented pubs full of Celtic fans when I've been up there many times to watch Partick Thistle home and away against the Hoops...but I've also encountered them abroad too and I was working in Manchester when Celtic played United away in The Champions League some years ago and my hotel was full of Celts (who incidentally charged over £300 worth of booze to my room when they overheard me ordering a drink).

I've got into some unfortunate situations around Celtic fans simply when they've heard my accent....once in Glasgow I was in a pub near Celtic's stadium with around ten Partick supporting mates before an away game at Parkhead. I ordered a drink and upon hearing my accent the landlord grabbed a microphone and yelled "Who brought this sassenach scum into my pub?" Every head turned and again he demanded "How did this English **** get into my pub?" Luckily my Partick mates stick right by me and we struggled to force our way out of the pub.

This also happened abroad in Spain, I was having a drink with my girlfriend in a bar which suddenly fillled with Celts chanting IRA songs etc non-stop for ages. As soon as they appeared the (Irish) barman told me to "drink up and **** off you English ***" - funny how he was happy for my custom until they turned up.

I haven't had many joyous experiences around Celtic fans and I've certainly heard more of a political agenda than a football one whenever they are around.

Anyway, I agree, let's draw a line under this one and look forward to nine months of misery involving the Bristol teams...

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers for the reply....I've mostly frequented pubs full of Celtic fans when I've been up there many times to watch Partick Thistle home and away against the Hoops...but I've also encountered them abroad too and I was working in Manchester when Celtic played United away in The Champions League some years ago and my hotel was full of Celts (who incidentally charged over £300 worth of booze to my room when they overheard me ordering a drink).

I've got into some unfortunate situations around Celtic fans simply when they've heard my accent....once in Glasgow I was in a pub near Celtic's stadium with around ten Partick supporting mates before an away game at Parkhead. I ordered a drink and upon hearing my accent the landlord grabbed a microphone and yelled "Who brought this sassenach scum into my pub?" Every head turned and again he demanded "How did this English **** get into my pub?" Luckily my Partick mates stick right by me and we struggled to force our way out of the pub.

This also happened abroad in Spain, I was having a drink with my girlfriend in a bar which suddenly fillled with Celts chanting IRA songs etc non-stop for ages. As soon as they appeared the (Irish) barman told me to "drink up and **** off you English ***" - funny how he was happy for my custom until they turned up.

I haven't had many joyous experiences around Celtic fans and I've certainly heard more of a political agenda than a football one whenever they are around.

Anyway, I agree, let's draw a line under this one and look forward to nine months of misery involving the Bristol teams...

Misery? I'm really looking forward to the season, I'm going to stick my neck out and say we will get to the 2nd round of the cup and won't be knocked out by a non league team.

Archived