IGNORED

Scottish football (Merged)

Robbored

Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

£47 for Celtic fans at Ibrox this season.

Sheff wed and Leeds is £40 a game ffs. Fortunately prem away games are £20 a pop now. Biggest game in scottish football not bad.

For the record I used to like Motherwell and Falkirk but have now gone for "glory" with Rangers. Im a catholic boy myself so not sure if thats allowed but Celtic fans are absolute scummers. Hate the club.

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Since I have been watching footy Scotland have been shit and they have continued to be shit ever since. Many smaller countries have performed better than Scotland and us. Chile, Uruguay, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, Croatia all more successful in the last 15-20years.

I do not doubt they are domestically well supported in their leagues looking at the averages however they have fewer teams in each league and far cheaper ticket prices.

You sound like Sky Sports, only acknowledging football over the last 15-20 years....Scotland qualified for SIX out of seven consecutive World Cup tournaments - 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990 and 1998...NONE of the countries you listed can match that record...

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Sheff wed and Leeds is £40 a game ffs. Fortunately prem away games are £20 a pop now. Biggest game in scottish football not bad.

For the record I used to like Motherwell and Falkirk but have now gone for "glory" with Rangers. Im a catholic boy myself so not sure if thats allowed but Celtic fans are absolute scummers. Hate the club.

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

also a Catholic...ex St Brendans....both clubs fans have been in the naughty boys corner in the past, but I'll stick to Celtic from the Glasgow teams thanks. I have friends in Dunfermline (non catholic) but they dread Rangers fans coming to town. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

With the Scotland v England game coming up I get the same feeling about the Scottish game every time we play them -that its pretty shite and of poor quality.

Yet again Celitic with the league and both the cups. Sure the treble is unusual but for one club to dominate has to be a negative effect in their game. There's no serious competition with Rangers still recovering and only Aberdeen can mount any kind of challenge.

Celtic go into the Champions League and struggle and recently got stuffed 8-0 by Barca. 

Personaly I think the Scottish league is laughable but then I've always thought that.

For the 4th time in 129 years.

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

My point was kinda to Kodijas condemnation of Celtic fans while also claiming to prefer a club who has SOME supporters who sing distasteful songs. I'm pretty sure if we tried we could unearth videos of every single clubs fans singing distasteful stuff.

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You sound like Sky Sports, only acknowledging football over the last 15-20 years....Scotland qualified for SIX out of seven consecutive World Cup tournaments - 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990 and 1998...NONE of the countries you listed can match that record...

Well yeah because Im only 26 and started watching footy in 99. So thats the period I am acknowledging as i said? I suppose its a generation thing. Like Oxford Utd for example, bottom tier and conference for five or six and now just back in League one. The older footy fans bang on about how big they are yet the new generation think they are tinpot.

How many have Scotland qualified for since btw?

14 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well they are tossers as well but after the Kris Boyd's brother incident and the Lee Rigby chants by celtic fans at brentford , I prefer Rangers anyday.

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well yeah because Im only 26 and started watching footy in 99. So thats the period I am acknowledging as i said? I suppose its a generation thing. Like Oxford Utd for example, bottom tier and conference for five or six and now just back in League one. The older footy fans bang on about how big they are yet the new generation think they are tinpot.

Well they are tossers as well but after the Kris Boyd's brother incident and the Lee Rigby chants by celtic fans at brentford , I prefer Rangers anyday.

they can equally obnoxious I promise you.

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the 'Lee Rigby' chants all turned out to be a load of bollocks. one of those things that spread round Facebook like wildfire without anyone checking the facts. Any teams supporters can have an odd stupid**** who shouts out vile stuff, but I find it INCREDIBLY difficult to believe that there was any mass chanting about Lee Rigby.

Just now, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Well i suppose we are getting into sectarian troubles now but then this is what most of the rivalry is based on is it not?

This is why I asked if it is ok for me to watch rangers being a catholic boy. Apparently not if i dont make it obvious...

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Well i suppose we are getting into sectarian troubles now but then this is what most of the rivalry is based on is it not?

This is why I asked if it is ok for me to watch rangers being a catholic boy. Apparently not if i dont make it obvious...

correct(ish). The issues start waaaaaay back before both of us were born.

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Watch who you like. As much as I dislike Souness, he did an awful lot in breaking down the barriers. You may think me biased, but there is a significant minority of Rangers fans who haven't moved in much from the days of the awful, truly shocking murder of Mark Scott in 1995. Plenty of Rangers fans will not give a monkeys that you are a catholic, but I wouldn't be casually mentioning it in the bars of Bridgeton if I were you.

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Slightly off topic but why does Robbored get so much shit off of everyone? His posts aren't that different from many i see on here? 

Or is it just Banta?

It's  just banter............sometimes.......

The shite I get stems back to when GJ was manager and I would regularly slag him and his style of football off.

That criticism upset loads of his disciples who saw him as the greatest thing since sliced bread............:crying:

Just now, Robbored said:

It's  just banter............sometimes.......

The shite I get stems back to when GJ was manager and I would regularly slag him and his style of football off.

That criticism upset loads of his disciples who saw him as the greatest thing since sliced bread............:crying:

Ah right ok I tend to remember your posts from your avatar and can never remember anything outrageous. You must have been best mates with @kachina

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I stopped reading at this :P

To be fair @sglosbcfc I enjoy watching any derby game in both countries leagues.

The difference in population makes it hard to determine who is better supported. You forget the fact that most prem league clubs could fit in thousands more. Man Utd and Liverpool could get 120k a game easy if the tickets were as cheap as the Old Firms.

We have 6th and 7th tier clubs averaging over 1k a week. I saw an 8th tier derby that had 3k turn up to watch. 

Again you are comparing one of the largest countries in Europe with a population in excess of 60m with Scotland. Ross County took 15,000 fans to the Scottish League Cup final and they come from a town that has a population of 5,000. When did Man Utd or Liverpool last take 1.5m with them to a cup final. That is comparing like with like.

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Ross County took 15,000 fans to the Scottish League Cup final and they come from a town that has a population of 5,000. 

Even gas heads can't claim that level of support.

11 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Slagging off Scottish football, OK as usual I'll bite -

1. Scotland is the best supported league in Europe. Despite having a tiny population they have Celtic and Rangers averaging 50,000 +, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts averaging over 12,000 and Dundee and Dundee United averaging over 6,000. That is despite the fact that in the past 5 years all of the biggest teams in Scotland with the exception of Celtic and Aberdeen have spent time outside the top flight.

2. Teams in the fourth tier attract gates of 1,000 + for derbies and big matches, unheard of for similar size countries.

3. Again for such a small country the record of clubs in Europe is excellent. Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United have all reached semi finals or won major Europen cup competitions.

4. Tv money is tiny compared to the English game. This means that League two clubs can often pay better wages than SPL clubs. This is a problem facing smaller countries all over Europe.

5. Some of the people who slag off scottish football  have never bothered to tune in. Next season watch a Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee (if they are drawn in the Cup) Derby and I trust you will get entertainment (as long as you enjoy traditional British fare of tough tackles, direct play and full bloodied commitment as opposed to tip tap, roll over every time you are touched European footy).

6. Finally, Scotland like many smaller countries will go through cycles, in the past twenty years they have struggled to unearth great talents. But just like Wales have enjoyed glory in the past 2 years so will Scotland in the not too distant future.

p.s I'm not Scottish. 

I'm talking about the standard in Scottish football being pretty shite, not the population.........

12 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Slightly off topic but why does Robbored get so much shit off of everyone? His posts aren't that different from many i see on here? 

Or is it just Banta?

He likes to play the forum villain so in many cases he brings it on himself... But I thought this was an interesting thread to be honest. No need for all the bile here.

I don't mind Scottish football myself. It is largely free of the soulless corporate feel that has consumed the Premier League. The quality is poor for sure but it feels more real. Crumbling terraces, pie and bovril, eccentric but friendly working class fans and not a prawn sarnie in sight (outside of the old firm anyway). I went to a Hibs game once and loved it. Made friends with the group of lads around me once they discovered I was a city fan.. It was shortly after Sproule had joined us from them (or was it vice versa I cant remember!!) so we had that link to bond over.

My favourite Scottish team has to be Brechin City though. They are called BCFC and play in red and white.. What more could you want? Cracking little ground too, hope to visit one day.

Archived