IGNORED

"Project"

Is it me or is this word banded around far too much in football nowadays?!

Apparently we are currently a "project" and LJs belief in this is what kept him in a job. Reading the article about the Wolves new manager, they refer to "the Wolves project".

Its been banded around quite a bit recently and as a supporter of a club I'm not sure I like the fact that my club is deemed a project...

51 minutes ago, Neo said:

Isn't the boss a Project Manager, his coaches the Project Assistants and the players, training facilities etc the resources?

Hasnt that always been the way really just not used the term?

nope,he is a manager, a project manager has a defined start and end date with a set of deliverable s which have to be met in certain timescales with a finishing date to hand over the deliverable into a live service.  

The word project in football is a load of old bollocks, what they are saying is we are paying to watch the article before it is finished. just a poor term for we are trying to build something

By definition a project is something that is additional from the current standard and has an end date and specific budget - possibly why managers think in those terms as they know they won't be around long term.

Us, the fans, probably see our team as more of a service that we hope improves with each new 'project'.

I'm going to stop now cos I'm boring myself...

10 minutes ago, Judda said:

Buzz word bingo!

Come on. You need to think outside the box. How else are we going to build bridges and not walls?

Exactly! We need to push the envelope with blue sky thinking if we`re ever going to square the circle.

I thought I`d just run that up the flagpole and see who salutes it.

39 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Just the "In term" for a change of company direction.

Like when the company Transport Manager became the Logistics Director.

And one of my favourites; What is the job of a "Light Transmission Operative"?

A window cleaner.

I thought that was a `transparent walling maintenance engineer`

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Is it me or is this word banded around far too much in football nowadays?!

Apparently we are currently a "project" and LJs belief in this is what kept him in a job. Reading the article about the Wolves new manager, they refer to "the Wolves project".

Its been banded around quite a bit recently and as a supporter of a club I'm not sure I like the fact that my club is deemed a project...

Yep it's an annoying term when linked to a football club....but, to me, no more annoying than other ridiculously over-used words that were commonplace on here over the season just finished - e.g. 'Delusional' - 'Agenda' - 'New manager bounce' - etc etc

"Project", "DNA" is all complete BS. It is just code for we know where we want to go but were not sure how or if we can get there...but will see how we get on! The 5 Pillars of SOD was a project that nearly ended in catastrophe. Was Cotts reign a project - no. It was good management combined with getting in good quality players for League One. In reality that is what we need to do now if we are to progress - buy top end Championship players with a sprinkle of up and coming talent.... we are a long way from doing that given the current strategy of the club....

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A window cleaner.

Ah but. My son once worked in this field as a Vision Technician.!!

5 hours ago, TRL said:

nope,he is a manager, a project manager has a defined start and end date with a set of deliverable s which have to be met in certain timescales with a finishing date to hand over the deliverable into a live service.  

The word project in football is a load of old bollocks, what they are saying is we are paying to watch the article before it is finished. just a poor term for we are trying to build something

I thought the goal of the project was Europa League within 5 years.

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A window cleaner.

Ha, and there was me thinking it's somebody who works on not very heavy gearboxes. Learn something new everyday.

In business, when you manage a product, you manage it from conception to the release of that product. For a project, you manage it from conception and onwards.

Since a lot of clubs are run at board level now, it's hardly surprising that clubs are referring to their on-field activities as projects.

15 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

"Project", "DNA" is all complete BS. It is just code for we know where we want to go but were not sure how or if we can get there...but will see how we get on! The 5 Pillars of SOD was a project that nearly ended in catastrophe. Was Cotts reign a project - no. It was good management combined with getting in good quality players for League One. In reality that is what we need to do now if we are to progress - buy top end Championship players with a sprinkle of up and coming talent.... we are a long way from doing that given the current strategy of the club....

The '5 pillars' wasn't a SO'D thing, and we are still working under them.

Archived