IGNORED

Historical Season Ticket Prices?

CyderInACan

Lots of debate around how Prices could be structured better etc but I'd love to know what our season ticket inflation is over the years. 

I've had mine in the Dolman now, in the same seat, since 97/98 promotion season under Ward. I can't really remember a point in that period where the increase from one season to the next has made think it was a liberty to have hoiked the price up so much. 

Anyone got any info on the pricing structure from season to season? I know there's quite a few stattos on here so would be interested to see. I'm not even really convinced mine has increased in "real terms" all that much. 

What was the capacity in 07/08 for example compared to what it could potentially be now? I understood whilst we were redeveloping prices had to be high due to compensating for the reduced capacity. From what I see now prices have remained high after completion and we are looking at seats that aren't for sale except to a few families? How is the the best use of the ground?

I don't doubt it is good value but it could be better value, hence my campaign to emulate Huddersfield in the other thread.

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

What was the capacity in 07/08 for example compared to what it could potentially be now? I understood whilst we were redeveloping prices had to be high due to compensating for the reduced capacity. From what I see now prices have remained high after completion and we are looking at seats that aren't for sale except to a few families? How is the the best use of the ground?

I don't doubt it is good value but it could be better value, hence my campaign to emulate Huddersfield in the other thread.

Huddersfield play in blue and white. 

What are you trying to say??

tfj

42 minutes ago, RedM said:

Huddersfield are very much an exception to the rule though. I think our ST prices are about average aren't they?

Not saying they couldn't/shouldn't be lower but Lansdown isn't an idiot. If he could sell 25,000 at £250 instead of 15,000 at £350 he would.

You'd presume they've researched likely gates at different price points and tried to find the balance that maximises revenue versus attendances. 

Trouble is our fans aren't in the same mentality as Huddersfield. Our fans expect us to pay big wages and big transfer fees.

Huddersfield fans just don't have that mentality that comes from years of a chairman subsidising enormous losses. Not saying it's the fans fault but that's the reality. 

I don't think our 07/08 season actually did us a lot of good. Almost overnight a large portion of our fan base thought we suddenly had some divine right to be competing at the top end.

STs in the 70's and 80's could be bought for tens of pounds, rather the hundreds so there must have been a period of high inflation of prices at some point.

I suspect it must have been the early to mid nineties that it happened, around the time of the formation of the Premier League and the start of the 'gentrification' of football.

The prices had certainly jumped by 1996 which is when I had my first ST.

Never had a season ticket for the first 50 years of my tenure but I started by paying one shilling (5p) to go in the "Open End". The "Covered End" was also a shilling with the "Enclosures" one and six (7 1/2p new money). Haven't a clue what the "Stands" cost.  As for season tickets phew!!!   That was in 1956. For comparison sake I got 3d ( 1 1/4p new money) a day pocket money.

1 minute ago, redysteadygo said:

Never had a season ticket for the first 50 years of my tenure but I started by paying one shilling (5p) to go in the "Open End". The "Covered End" was also a shilling with the "Enclosures" one and six (7 1/2p new money). Haven't a clue what the "Stands" cost.  As for season tickets phew!!!   That was in 1956. For comparison sake I got 3d ( 1 1/4p new money) a day pocket money.

I can remember paying 15 pence as an adult to stand in the open end in 1972, so a season ticket if you could buy one there would have cost about 3 pounds allowing for a bit of discount, even allowing for inflation 350 quid now is nearly 120 times what it was then say the average wage for a man was about 25 pounds a week. I would say that football prices have far exceeded inflation

I remember there being a relative hike after the promotion season with Gary Johnson because I can remember otib going into meltdown.  

I can remember the club arguing that there hadn't been a rise for several years leading up to that.  

East End was available at £230 that season though, so it didn't effect me.  

I think there was as much as £100 increases in some catagories.  Outrage on here!

22 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can't remember early season ticket prices, but around 30 years ago I could get a day rider, a Mickey Finns lunchbox and a kids ticket and get change from a fiver.

Aaaaaah the halcyon days of being able to get chips. 

1 hour ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I remember there being a relative hike after the promotion season with Gary Johnson because I can remember otib going into meltdown.  

I can remember the club arguing that there hadn't been a rise for several years leading up to that.  

East End was available at £230 that season though, so it didn't effect me.  

I think there was as much as £100 increases in some catagories.  Outrage on here!

You're right, mine in the Dolman went up from £325 to £425! This year I've moved to the South Stand and because I bought a Rugby season ticket at the same time my season ticket cost £310!

I've still got some old Dolman STs.

My dad had a ST in the old, pre-Dolman stand, which cost £5 5s 0d (£5.25) in 1957-58.

The Dolman cost us £8 in 1971-72 as a special opening offer. Not much more than it was for a much worse stand 14 years earlier. The next year it shot up to £10.50, an increase of 30%.

1973-4 was another near 30% hike to £13.50, but 1974-75 only went up 11% to £15.

By 1975-76 it was getting serious, up 40% to £21 and on getting to the top division in 1976-77 ,up 90% to £40. That might get you one game today.

So if we made it to the Prem, could we be looking at a similar 90% hike?

Also interesting to see the plan for when the Dolman was new, was to stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap. It seemed to work then?

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

STs in the 70's and 80's could be bought for tens of pounds, rather the hundreds so there must have been a period of high inflation of prices at some point.

I suspect it must have been the early to mid nineties that it happened, around the time of the formation of the Premier League and the start of the 'gentrification' of football.

The prices had certainly jumped by 1996 which is when I had my first ST.

houses use to cost 15 -40k, as well

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Used to get in the EE as under 16, early nineties for £3

Stewards always used to check for fags - if you had em you had to pay adult prices 

Surely you hid your Woodbines in your socks?  

Found these two in my BCFC folder.

• 2002/3 which was 5% cheaper than 2001/2.
  • 2004/5

I also have my season ticket for the "Brunel Ford Williams Stand" from 1998/99. That was £270.

[Also found my 1997/98 ticket - John Wards promotion season I think - that was £104? Can this be right as it would mean 1997/98 = £104 then 1998/99 = £270?]

PS. I'm an old git so both were adult tickets and both for the same seat in the Williams.

001.jpg

002.jpg

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Can't comment on ST prices, but when I first started going to the gate in 1967, standing prices were 5 bob (25p) for adults and half a crown (12 1/2p) for kids.

Two years later the price was the same. When the Dolman Stand opened a ST was £7.50.

When City ran into problems in 82, the club sought cash immediately. Consequently they offered a TEN year season ticket for £500. Don't think too many took up the offer as we didn't know if City would still be here in ten months, let alone years.

My relatives in Ipswich reckon if you miss four ITFC games in a season, it is cheaper to POTD than have a ST!

4 hours ago, 22A said:

Two years later the price was the same. When the Dolman Stand opened a ST was £7.50.

When City ran into problems in 82, the club sought cash immediately. Consequently they offered a TEN year season ticket for £500. Don't think too many took up the offer as we didn't know if City would still be here in ten months, let alone years.

My relatives in Ipswich reckon if you miss four ITFC games in a season, it is cheaper to POTD than have a ST!

We did a three year one a few years back, it was about £750 in the Atyeo IIRC.

5 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

Found these two in my BCFC folder.

• 2002/3 which was 5% cheaper than 2001/2.
  • 2004/5

I also have my season ticket for the "Brunel Ford Williams Stand" from 1998/99. That was £270.

[Also found my 1997/98 ticket - John Wards promotion season I think - that was £104? Can this be right as it would mean 1997/98 = £104 then 1998/99 = £270?]

PS. I'm an old git so both were adult tickets and both for the same seat in the Williams.

001.jpg

002.jpg

This is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to see! We'll done @Red Grovesy  I remember that 3yr deal but couldn't afford it at the time. If there's one thing I think we SHOULD do it's that kind of thing and loyalty bonuses. 

Archived