IGNORED

Annoying phrases used in football you'd like to disappear (if only)

Warwickshire Red

28 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Good god no....!  The amount of park the bus performances from away teams would kill the game as a spectacle.  This is possibly up there with one of the worst suggestions I've ever seen in my opinion!  Now if more points were to be awarded for goals scored, then that may be a little different, but I'd rather it just remained simple.

Accept your opinion Steve, but I thought the away team would have more incentive to go for a result from the start, away win or a draw, ie 3pts or 2pts. The home team would also have to up their game because they would have to go for a win 3pts, whereas a draw would only be 1pt. I only see 'park the bus performances' from both teams drawing at the present time due to the even sharing of points, but at least you may see more goals scored, as you desire.

The 3 point format only happened because football pools coupons firms/football league  thought a 0-0 score was inferior to a 2-2 etc score draw, and more money could be paid out for a score draw. I would probabaly think not many people do 'the pools'  now preferring to gamble on differing aspects of the game.

Mine was just a thought and not a suggestion. It would make the league tables a lot different though, whereby at the present, a team could be unbeaten for every game ie draw results, and still be relegated!

1 hour ago, KernowRed said:

The phrase often used is '6 Pointer' when only ever 3 points are awarded for a win.

A six pointer is referred to as such due the fact that the game could result in a 6 point swing. Start the game 3 points in front of the oppo and win you are 6 points ahead, lose and you're level.

it actually makes sense as a terminology.

"Back where we belong"

Usually used when a so called big club gets promoted back to the top flight.

Nobody belongs anywhere  in the league and if you get relegated its because you ain't good enough.

No club has a devine right to anything in football no matter how big your fan base or history.

6 minutes ago, adamc6203 said:

A six pointer is referred to as such due the fact that the game could result in a 6 point swing. Start the game 3 points in front of the oppo and win you are 6 points ahead, lose and you're level.

That is true, but every single league game is a six pointer.

'Away goals count double' - no they don't, and they never have. If the first leg (of e.g. a Champions League tie) ends 0-0 and the second leg ends 1-1, the aggregate score is not recorded as 1-2 (which it would be if away goals counted double). 

'Premiership' - it hasn't been called that for ten years now. It's called the premier league.

'EPL' or 'BPL' as an abbreviation for the premier league.

Anyone that still refers to Chelsea as 'Chelski' - it wasn't funny in 2005.

And before anyone points it out, yes I know I'm a pedant.

4 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

There was a banner at my work the other day saying 'National Dyslexic Workers Union' with people signing up.

I went over and said can I join your Onion?

What makes me chuckle is the posters in public buildings that offer literacy classes .

" Can't read ? 

Come to our meeting ... " 

:blink:

1 hour ago, Creg said:

"He's literally on fire!" (No he's not. Jamie Redknapp - I'm looking in your direction) 

"2-0 is the most dangerous scoreline in football"

"At the end of the day..." - This also applies to work

Incorrect use of the word literally in life general, and especially in football - it literally makes my blood boil;).

"that chance was literally handed to him on a plate" - should be "metaphorically" JR again!

"his first touch was literally to pick it out the back of the net"  no need for "literally", or any other word to replace "literally".

"To be fair, he's not that kind of player": only used to describe anyone (other than Joey Barton) who has just flattened an opponent with a horrendously timed and viciously high tackle.

"I think when he looks back he'll be disappointed with that." - used in the correct context such as Lee Tomlin's penalty against Burton 

52 minutes ago, adamc6203 said:

Trouble is that the phrase is now applied to any match between two teams that start the game reasonably close to each other.  Or even just to any match that's been decided to be fairly important. Your definition is the correct one though.

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Never thought about that but a great idea. 

Would certainly get more attacking, teams would know unless they score a goal they will definitely get 0 points.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Would certainly get more attacking, teams would know unless they score a goal they will definitely get 0 points.

Or how about 1 point for a 0-0, and 2 for any other score draw? Would encourage teams score.

Archived