IGNORED

Annoying phrases used in football you'd like to disappear (if only)

Warwickshire Red

4 hours ago, beaverface said:

When a player is being interviewed, it annoys me when they start their answer with "Yeah No", for example

Q: "So Bob, great goal your scored today, started with a great pass from Smith?"

A: "Yeah no, it was a great pass...blah blah"

ahh, the old Yeah, no

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Stockings definitely sounds leftfield....how do they keep them up?

Exactly. That is my issue with it

Stockings conjure up an image in my mind that I'm not sure I want to imagine Flint (for example) wearing

"PK".  "The ref has awarded New York Red Bulls a PK".  Hate it.  Typical of Americans to take something that we simply call a 'penalty' then change it and abbreviate it, as if it's been there's all along.  I hear it all the time in the office.

Just now, Atlanta_Red said:

"PK".  "The ref has awarded New York Red Bulls a PK".  Hate it.  Typical of Americans to take something that we simply call a 'penalty' then change it and abbreviate it, as if it's been there's all along.  I hear it all the time in the office.

Do they have TI's, CK,s, GK,s, YC,s & RC,s as well ?

When people say "to be fair" this bloody annoys me, people just stick it in any part of a sentence when it's not even needed, I think this phase is like polyfilla used when you have nothing else to say so you just buy time to think of something.

EXAMPLES BELOW.

"To be fair he had a great game" why be fair just say he played well and made a big difference in the game.                       (Incorrect use)

"To be fair" he's come back from a long layoff and performed well today considering the injury he had.                   (Correct use)

8 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Adam Baker's in commentary "very much so" and "high wide and handsome" when clearly it wasn't so handsome!

Commentator: Adam, Bristol City really aren't at the races today (another one btw)..

Adam B:    (silence)

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Exactly. That is my issue with it

Stockings conjure up an image in my mind that I'm not sure I want to imagine Flint (for example) wearing

Back in the day shorts were knickers:whistle:

"In 1904 the Football Association dropped its rule that players' knickerbockers must cover their knees and teams began wearing them much shorter. They became known as "knickers", and were referred to by this term until the 1960s when "shorts" became the preferred term.[43] Initially, almost all teams wore knickers of a contrasting colour to their shirts"

Archived