IGNORED

Annoying phrases used in football you'd like to disappear (if only)

Warwickshire Red

As a bit of fun, what phrases get on your nerves which you'd rid fottball of (in a Carlsberg world)?

Mine would be:

Like I say/like you say - when often not been said before in the interview (one of LJ's and many footballer's favs)

we need a result - you'll get a result win, lose or draw. You mean need a win.

we go again - go where? To the loo?  You mean we lost but we'll try to win the next game.

1 minute ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Struggling Bristol City - every time we were mentioned on radio or TV we were given this prefix.

Always remember Billy Connolly once saying that when he was a kid he always believed his local club's name was "Partick Thistle Nil"

"He was unlucky!" - in the context of the ball striking the woodwork, for example.  He wasn't unlucky, he was not accurate enough. This is an issue of skill, performance etc, not luck.

"He's hit it too well" - usually said when a player has missed.  The objective was to score so quite self-definabley if he hasn't scored then he hasn't 'hit' (really 'kicked') it well enough.  Also, how can something be done 'too well'? Surely there is an optimum of wellness? If something has not reached that optimum for whatever reason, then it fails to be well.

Basic logic.

The phrase often used is '6 Pointer' when only ever 3 points are awarded for a win.

I believe a draw should be 2 points for the away team and 1 point for the home team, thereby the 3 points available at the start of the game is correctly shared.

5 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

"He was unlucky!" - in the context of the ball striking the woodwork, for example.  He wasn't unlucky, he was not accurate enough. This is an issue of skill, performance etc, not luck.

"He's hit it too well" - usually said when a player has missed.  The objective was to score so quite self-definabley if he hasn't scored then he hasn't 'hit' (really 'kicked') it well enough.  Also, how can something be done 'too well'? Surely there is an optimum of wellness? If something has not reached that optimum for whatever reason, then it fails to be well.

Basic logic.

Alternatively. He meant to cross that ball rather than score.

5 minutes ago, KernowRed said:

The phrase often used is '6 Pointer' when only ever 3 points are awarded for a win.

I believe a draw should be 2 points for the away team and 1 point for the home team, thereby the 3 points available at the start of the game is correctly shared.

Good god no....!  The amount of park the bus performances from away teams would kill the game as a spectacle.  This is possibly up there with one of the worst suggestions I've ever seen in my opinion!  Now if more points were to be awarded for goals scored, then that may be a little different, but I'd rather it just remained simple.

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Good god no....!  The amount of park the bus performances from away teams would kill the game as a spectacle.  This is possibly up there with one of the worst suggestions I've ever seen in my opinion!  Now if more points were to be awarded for goals scored, then that may be a little different, but I'd rather it just remained simple.

teams should get zero points for a 0-0.

"He's put in a shift..." (ah bless, good of him to run around for his 100k a week)

"2 up top.." (annoying phrase brought in by Richard Keys...we all know it's 2 up front...)

"He's got that in his locker..." (any danger of getting it out the locker and showing it on the pitch?!)

"They've set their stall out..." (what is this, a church fete?!)

"The football club..." (championed by Pulis, why not just say the team name?! Or have you been at so many clubs you can't remember where you're at ?!)

"We've got a good group..." (another annoying, recent addition to manager vocab, it's a 'squad'!)

"Bad day at the office..." (used by those who've never worked a day in an office in their lives, why isn't it "a bad day at the factory" or "a bad day on the road" or "a bad day in the warehouse" or "a bad day cleaning out the lions' enclosure"???!!!

"On another day we'd have won that..." (well that's a pity, because you're not playing them next Wednesday are you?!)

Archived