IGNORED

Obsolete footballing phrases

Major Isewater

6 minutes ago, Rascal said:

He's a inside right. 

Just a question mate, and don't read this the wrong way, because I like you as a poster, it's just a genuine question...

why spend so much time on here? I'm guessing because of the fairly high level of activity and user friendliness? Without wanting to sound like Alan Partridge when he asks Michael "are there any other men that you talk to?", are there any other forums you spend time on other than Barnsley's?

Like I said, there's no animosity in the question, just genuine interest. 

21 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just a question mate, and don't read this the wrong way, because I like you as a poster, it's just a genuine question...

why spend so much time on here? I'm guessing because of the fairly high level of activity and user friendliness? Without wanting to sound like Alan Partridge when he asks Michael "are there any other men that you talk to?", are there any other forums you spend time on other than Barnsley's?

I'd be interested why Rascal has selected City, I post on another team's forum as a Bristol City fan because I used to watch them but don't post that often as I don't really follow them these days.  All welcome btw and carry on posting.

I was inspired to remind myself of the actual quote; classic stuff.

Alan: Do you chat to any other men?
Michael: Aye. Including you, four regulars, like.
Alan: Michael, what the hell’s going on?
Michael: Well, it’s just, you know, men who want someone to talk to. They’re just lonely. Look, I cannot not talk to the customers, man. Look, what does it say on me badge “Michael, I’m here to help.”
Alan: No it doesn’t, it just says “Michael”.
Michael: Oh, aye. It does.
Alan: Why did you think it said the rest?
Michael: I don’t know. I must have dreamt it. 

21 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

PNE on line

Owlstalk

VSC (Doncaster Rovers) 

s24su (Sheffield United) 

Pasoti (Plymouth) 

RedCafe (Man Utd) 

WACCOE (Leeds) 

grand old team (Everton) 

Red and White Kop (Liverpool)  

read them everyday reply if I feel like it, 

Just now, Rascal said:

PNE on line

Owlstalk

VSC (Doncaster Rovers) 

s24su (Sheffield United) 

Pasoti (Plymouth) 

RedCafe (Man Utd) 

WACCOE (Leeds) 

grand old team (Everton) 

Red and White Kop (Liverpool)  

read them everyday reply if I feel like it, 

And I thought we were special.

:disapointed2se:

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'd be interested why Rascal has selected City, I post on another team's forum as a Bristol City fan because I used to watch them but don't post that often as I don't really follow them these days.  All welcome btw and carry on posting.

I was inspired to remind myself of the actual quote; classic stuff.

Alan: Do you chat to any other men?
Michael: Aye. Including you, four regulars, like.
Alan: Michael, what the hell’s going on?
Michael: Well, it’s just, you know, men who want someone to talk to. They’re just lonely. Look, I cannot not talk to the customers, man. Look, what does it say on me badge “Michael, I’m here to help.”
Alan: No it doesn’t, it just says “Michael”.
Michael: Oh, aye. It does.
Alan: Why did you think it said the rest?
Michael: I don’t know. I must have dreamt it. 

Michael....Michael.......tell me all about the lady boys.......

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

"Back to square one"

There are several suggestions as to the origin of this expression, but I prefer the football related one - i.e.

The phrase originates from the days when football was listened to a lot on the radio. To help the listener picture the scene, the pitch was divided up into a grid of imaginary squares, square one being around the goalmouth. Thus, whenever the ball went out of play for a goal kick, or someone made a boring pass-back (of the type no longer allowed), the commentator would groan: "Back to square one"

'In his black boots' 

Hardly any players wear black boots, off the top of my head i can only think of Mags and Juve's Dybala 

I actually like seeing black boots and i think they look more classy than a pair of bright pink boots....

Archived