IGNORED

Do you wear a City shirt out and about?

reddogkev

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 08:26, SuperDziek said:

Don't restrict it to current players and, hey presto, you've got a decent number of names to go on the back! Who's rich enough to be able to afford Phillipson-Masters on the back?

Well, I'm certainly wide enough!

I stopped wearing replica shirts when I got out of my teens/early 20s but I still proudly wear my 2015 Champions T-Shirt when wondering foreign shores! I get the odd comment.. The other day, I was walking past a bar whilst wearing it and heard a Westcountry accent shout "Bristol City are shit".. I turned around... "You gas then mate?". "Nah mate, Man Yooo" was the response. I just shook my head and kept walking. I'm perfectly happy to receive banter from a Saggie but from some plastic Bristolian gloryhunter, no way.

23 hours ago, shelts said:

I've been told by the kids in no uncertain terms that I'm too old for a City shirt, shame as its Father's Day soon, and the embarrassment would lead them to disowning me , the last laugh being mine as they don't know their adopted!!!

My daughters bought me a shirt for Fathers Day about 3 years ago, was chuffed that they'd thought about getting me one!

I wear mine down the local now and then. In Gloucester I've seen a few City shirts, and shorts in the summer, over there. There was a 15er prowdly wearing his the night they became a FL club again, so I like to wear mine now and then and reclaim it for City. I wouldn't recognise him now to know if he's giving me a dirty look or not!

My ex wife found a load of old ones in the loft a while back, I'm defo planning on giving the original purple and lime one an outing over there this summer, and the yellow Sanderson one too. I may be a pushing it a little in terms of how well they fit now, but I care not!

Got a bobble hat for the winter, and a bucket hat for the summer with the Robin on (check out Vintage Voyeur if you fancy one, as the club won't actually produce retro stuff themselves) and I've got various pin badges for different jackets

As for would I wear it more if City were in the Prem, no I wouldn't. I tend to wear my stuff more when we're struggling. Siege mentality and all that. I hate anyone to think I was gloating about being a City fan because we're 8th in the Championship. I want them to know the pain. My local is full off Liverpool, Chelsea and United shirts, ******* ***** know **** all about football as well

On saying that, it's law that we all wear something to do with Gloucester Rugby up here. I join in that, it's not a choice. It's a birthright 

I just don't get why its frowned upon men wearing replica shirts.

is it men over a certain age or men over a certain age with a large belly?

Please could someone enlighten me as i don't want to look odd and embarrass my family :laugh:....

26 minutes ago, yardy said:

Please could someone enlighten me as i don't want to look odd and embarrass my family :laugh:....

You either know  or you don't. If you know, you don't wear a football shirt. If you don't know, you do. 

15 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Rubber, crotchless thong, with integral butt plug.

Is there any other football forum that would have such interesting contributions as this? I doubt it. Well done OTIB, keep it up (the last three words are meant in a purely innocent way)  

8 hours ago, yardy said:

Yes, it would be a shame to offend anyone wouldn't it.  ;)

All these people getting upset at what others choose to wear.

I'm finding that as the years go by, the less I care about others opinions of what I'm wearing. 

That's their problem, not mine.

13 hours ago, yardy said:

It's hard to put my finger on why would feel so uncomfortable as a grown man in a nylon football shirt.  

I think it's to do with the association of them with my childhood and teenage years when they were the must have item, and worthy of all credibility among your mates.  I feel it's something I grew out of.  I know a 42 y/o who still wears Super Man pyjamas, WTF man!

Secondly, children truly idolise their footballing heroes and wearing a football shirt or even full kit is a form of emulating them.  It is part of the wonder of childhood, along with 'being' Bob Taylor in the playground.  Getting an autograph is a highlight of youth.  As an adult, I realise pro-footballers are really just other blokes who happen to be good at football, not worthy of unadulterated hero-worship.

Finally, they are a low quality produce (who wears plastic on the skin in any other instance?) and a totally exploitive rip-off.  The clubs know they can charge it as street-credibility is so damn important to kids and teenagers.  Football shirts were the height of 'cool' when I was 11.  Additionally, the nylon also always made me sweat as a teenager and I had to wear an under t-shirt.  

So there we have why would feel so cringey in a football shirt, I have never thought about it before, it is just something I felt.  

Don't let my thinking that it is a sign of arrested development and in poor taste worry you; as others have said it is none of my business.  For some reason, women and the elderly seem to be able to pull it of as a fashion item in my view, so goodness knows!

5 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

It's hard to put my finger on why would feel so uncomfortable as a grown man in a nylon football shirt.  

I think it's to do with the association of them with my childhood and teenage years when they were the must have item, and worthy of all credibility among your mates.  I feel it's something I grew out of.  I know a 42 y/o who still wears Super Man pyjamas, WTF man!

Secondly, children truly idolise their footballing heroes and wearing a football shirt or even full kit is a form of emulating them.  It is part of the wonder of childhood, along with 'being' Bob Taylor in the playground.  Getting an autograph is a highlight of youth.  As an adult, I realise pro-footballers are really just other blokes who happen to be good at football, not worthy of unadulterated hero-worship.

Finally, they are a low quality produce (who wears plastic on the skin in any other instance?) and a totally exploitive rip-off.  The clubs know they can charge it as street-credibility is so damn important to kids and teenagers.  Football shirts were the height of 'cool' when I was 11.  Additionally, the nylon also always made me sweat as a teenager and I had to wear an under t-shirt.  

So there we have why would feel so cringey in a football shirt, I have never thought about it before, it is just something I felt.  

Don't let my thinking that it is a sign of arrested development and in poor taste worry you; as others have said it is none of my business.  For some reason, women and the elderly seem to be able to pull it of as a fashion item in my view, so goodness knows!

Really?

In the UK Mental Health Act of 1983, the term "arrested development" was considered a form of mental disorder consisting of severe mental impairment, resulting in a lack of intelligence.

So you see an adult in a football shirt, and you think this of them?

Wow!

1 hour ago, 42nite said:

Really?

In the UK Mental Health Act of 1983, the term "arrested development" was considered a form of mental disorder consisting of severe mental impairment, resulting in a lack of intelligence.

So you see an adult in a football shirt, and you think this of them?

Wow!

It was used to try to summarise the post and so was meant within the context of the post it was written.

It was not meant in the context of a technical, medical report but I'd have thought that obvious.

33 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

It was used to try to summarise the post and so was meant within the context of the post it was written.

It was not meant in the context of a technical, medical report but I'd have thought that obvious.

Obviously not.

So even though you stated that you think adults wearing football shirts is a sign of arrested development,  you didn't really mean it.

Right, got it.   

15 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Obviously not.

So even though you stated that you think adults wearing football shirts is a sign of arrested development,  you didn't really mean it.

Right, got it.   

People like you are why we have ridiculous Political Correctness rules on what we can say nowadays.

28 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Obviously not.

Right, got it.   

People say they're depressed when they're not, have OCD when they don't, comment about 'going to the bridge' (suicide reference) when City haven't won in 20 etc etc etc. 

It is common for people to incorrectly use technical terms for hyperbole.  It is not literal.

43 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

People say they're depressed when they're not, have OCD when they don't, comment about 'going to the bridge' (suicide reference) when City haven't won in 20 etc etc etc. 

It is common for people to incorrectly use technical terms for hyperbole.  It is not literal.

Finally, someone with an ounce of common sense

Always take at least 1 BCFC shirt of some description or another when I go on holiday, took several to Spain last year & was wearing 1 in Ireland 3 years ago when a lad in his 20's walked up to me to tell me that he bought team shirts from around the world & had seen the BCFC shirt online but now that he had "seen it in real life" he was going home to order it. Off to Cancun in Mexico in August so will be taking several with me to wear with pride. But, saying all that, it really annoys my missus when I wear them on non match occasions as she says I look like a sad old man, happy days !!! 

Archived