IGNORED

Cracking journalism in the Post

Major Isewater

30 minutes ago, Antman said:

example here of the razor sharp journalism

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/loads-helicopters-were-flying-over-90638

How would we manage to understand what a helicopter looks like without that stock picture!!! (of Hong Kong harbour BTW !)

My word... 

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that article. The stock picture though... 

:laugh:

1 hour ago, Antman said:

example here of the razor sharp journalism

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/loads-helicopters-were-flying-over-90638

How would we manage to understand what a helicopter looks like without that stock picture!!! (of Hong Kong harbour BTW !)

In that link, also incredibly amusing / ironic / hypocritical is a spokesperson from an organisation called Fresh Air being quoted as being 'excited about expanding their heliport business through a partnership with Cardiff Heliport...' 

He obviously doesn't realise the amount of crap pumped out by aircraft into the atmosphere...Fresh Air?! Laughable!

Sports journalism is dying particularly for local journalists. Many newspapers, the Post included don't employ people to cover City or Rovers for that matter. Hence Stockhausen's redundancy. There's no sports editor either. 

Sports stories are taken from the various clubs official websites which means the reader only gets fed what the club wants.

Its real shame imv.

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

whilst on the topic of goofs/gaffes anyone note how the sunday independent spelt lineker as linekar in the headline 

I cannot see 'Lineker' written without saying in my head 'the boy Lineacre', as Mick Channon kept calling him on tv during Mexico 86

Just now, Robbored said:

Sports journalism is dying particularly for local journalists. Many newspapers, the Post included don't employ people to cover City or Rovers for that matter. Hence Stockhausen's redundancy. There's no sports editor either

Sports stories are taken from the various clubs official websites which means the reader only gets fed what the club wants.

Its real shame imv.

Good lord, is that fa shizzle? Their website is impossible to navigate, I wouldn't buy a paper copy.....they really don't have a lot going for them, do they?

Quite shocking really. Loved reading a paper back in the day, can't remember the last time I bought one

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sports journalism is dying particularly for local journalists. Many newspapers, the Post included don't employ people to cover City or Rovers for that matter. Hence Stockhausen's redundancy. There's no sports editor either. 

Its real shame imv.

They gave Stocky redundancy and yet took on Gee Mac Gee. Click on his reporter page and it's says Bristol City reporter for Bristol Post...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/authors/gregor-macgregor/

Hmmmm. Same job as Stocky? Not so according to the Post...

Just now, Septic Peg said:

They gave Stocky redundancy and yet took on Gee Mac Gee. Click on his reporter page and it's says Bristol City reporter for Bristol Post...

Richard Latham gave a talk at Senior Reds recently and he painted a bleak picture of the future of sports journalism.  He told us about the situation at the Post.

He should know, that's his line of work.

Just now, Robbored said:

Richard Latham gave a talk at Senior Reds recently and he painted a bleak picture of the future of sports journalism.  He told us about the situation at the Post.

He should know, that's his line of work.

Not doubting you or Richard Latham. Just saying that the Post employs someone to cover City. Admittedly, I think it's done on a part time/pro rata basis unlike Stocky whom was full time I think...

32 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Is Gregor MacGregor even a real person or just some software that hoovers up stories from OTIB to publish ? 

And was Peter rabbit nicking carrots from his garden ? 

We need answers. 

14 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Is Gregor MacGregor even a real person or just some software that hoovers up stories from OTIB to publish ? 

And was Peter rabbit nicking carrots from his garden ? 

We need answers. 

Follow this link and there's a video of the man himself speaking! Can you imagine going for a night out with him? He hardly looks like the life and soul of the party does he?

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-news-transfer-rumours-85406

What I can't fathom is that in addition to Gregor McGregor (!) they also now employ both Dan Newman and a lady called Phillippa Jenkins whose sole purpose in life apparently seems to be to tell us what others (such as Flint or Tammy) are doing when they are on social media.

How can getting rid of one (Stockhausen) and then employing three replacements for him make any sort of economic sense?

Additionally the quality of spelling and grammar (especially by Dan Newman, who seemingly cannot ever distinguish between the correct use of "there" and "their") is absolutely terrible for people who are so say employed to "write" for a living..

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What I can't fathom is that in addition to Gregor McGregor (!) they also now employ both Dan Newman and a lady called Phillippa Jenkins whose sole purpose in life apparently seems to be to tell us what others (such as Flint or Tammy) are doing when they are on social media.

How can getting rid of one (Stockhausen) and then employing three replacements for him make any sort of economic sense?

Additionally the quality of spelling and grammar (especially by Dan Newman, who seemingly cannot ever distinguish between the correct use of "there" and "their") is absolutely terrible for people who are so say employed to "write" for a living..

I suspect that Stocky was on a decent wedge and these are kids straight out of college or interns.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Its real shame imv.

It seems to be non-local now. Back inside pages filled with national sport ! Never had that back in the day. It's more like a freebie morning national now .

12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I suspect that Stocky was on a decent wedge and these are kids straight out of college or interns.

Which seems to be the business model these days for all local press.  They want space fillers rather than journalists.

This is why the national press lifts threads directly out of mumsnet: it takes ten minutes to fill a quarter of a page and anyone can do it without leaving their desk.

It's not about increasing profits rather it's the only way to cope with vastly reduced revenue in the internet age. I actually read a story which comprised some intern going for a pizza.

28 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Wouldn't wipe my arse with EP.

Written by idiots for idiots 

It has never been great but has hit an all time low. Although I partially agree with @Robbored about the overall standard of journalism, there are still some good articles elsewhere in the press. 

Also, there are some journalists using the new media to bring good content. If you haven't listened to the Colin Murray podcast At Home for example, give it a go. It shows that sports stars are often misrepresented because of the terrible questions they are asked. His Interviews with Ian Wright, Michael Carrick and Asmir Begovic in particular, are really inciteful.

Archived