IGNORED

Football Manager 2017

ollywhyte

Anyone play this? What team are you managing and how are you doing?

Bought it a few days ago, finished my first season in charge of City in 17th... 15 wins, 9 draws, 22 defeats. Ironically the exact same as real life, including a 1-0 away win to Brighton followed by a 1-0 home defeat to Birmingham! I'm basically LJ in disguise.

About to start my second season and line up is in a 5-3-2.

Lucic

Moore Holding Magnusson

Darikwa                                                Husband
                       Hegeler   Coady

Tomlin

Abraham   Hooper

I've started playing it again recently and I started an unemployed save. My first two clubs were in the bottom tier of Russia and Poland and now I've worked myself up at Southampton. I have a City save but I had the hard Brexit so I the only foreign players I can sign need to play regularly for their international side, I got so frustrated I stopped playing. I did win the World Cup with England in that save though and I took Abraham with me who ended up as top scorer in the Tournament.

I play but i'm one of those that ain't very good so i get frustrated/bored and ended up buying the in-game editor.  But now it's a piece of piss and i win everything can get any player i want etc.... and you've guessed it i get frustrated and bored rather quick. Think most time I've ever spent on a save is 2 seasons then i start again ha! ha! 

I did get City to league cup semi final without any cheating not long ago though beating Bournemouth,Everton and West Ham on the way before getting spanked over two legs to Utd in Semi's

Think i shall start a new proper save this evening and give it a proper go.

I usually play it when it comes out till a bit before the end of season, get bored by then of that and fifa, play something different over the summer and repeat process. May give it another go soon though. Never managed to make Tammy that prolific though, Engvall appeared to be a beast generally.

I got City into the Prem via playoffs in first season then stayed up with just 34 points!

The club went through 3 takeovers in 4 years which was unsettling.

Slow progression, but in 2020 I got into Europe with a bit of a freak season, the next year I got 20 points less, but won the Champions League on penalties.

Getting through Europe was a rather mixed bag, in the Group stage I barely got through, finishing 2nd but having been 4th at one point during the final game. In the knockout rounds I went through on away goals twice, drawing 4 times. The quarter final saw 2 absolute hammerings, a 5-1 home win and a 3-0 away defeat that could have been much worse.

The final was against Man Utd who I had already beaten with a counter attacking set up, so went with that. Held for penalties and had a bit of luck.

Struggling this season compared to before, 9th after 13 games.

My method was essentially blow all my transfer budget on wonderkids. 1 big signing a season with a bunch of free transfers. 

One real player (or should that be Real) I went all out to get was Martin Odegaard from Real Madrid. Had a release clause at around £17.5m, he took a lot of convincing, but has been a key part of my team for about 5 seasons and is only 23 in game!

I also splashed big on Kai Havertz (Leverkusen I think) for £30 million and sold him for £40m a year later. This funded the £35m purchase of Mbappe who I sold for over £80m 18 months later (I was still paying some of the installments!)

Now most of my signings are regens, but those ones get specific mentions for being actual players.

Edit- made about £20m on Moussa Dembele, the one Fulham had. 

I have had more failed transfers than good ones and currently have 2 players agreed to sign who wont join for another 2 years due to age.

Another part of my strategy was to get good coaches and scouts. Making sure I had among the best ones in the Prem from my very first season up.

I did take on the England job alongside the City one, but this post is long enough already.

Finished my second season and couple days back... I was 2nd going into the final game of the season and ended up drawing and finishing 3rd by one goal difference. Made it to the play off final and lost to Fulham 4-3 despite leading 2-0 at half time, wow I hate this game. Into my third season and currently top, still got Tammy on loan for his third season! This best be the season nearly broke my laptop the other night haha

I have a nightmare Champions league group and my defense of the trophy may be already over.

My 3 opponents are Barcelona, Leverkusen and Bordeaux.

After 5 games all 4 teams have 7 points, I am second, above Barca on goals scored. My last game is away at top of the group Leverkusen.

Fully expecting to go out, but I beat Leverkusen twice in the group stage in the previous season, and drew the first time round this season. Just hoping for a draw between Bordeaux and Barca.

20170608_180112.jpg

Not played for a while. Got sacked twice by City in October, obviously thought the game was broken :blush:  so tried an easy one. Got Man City to win everything for a couple of years, but how boring is that. Did start a Braintree game but was struggling to get loans in. Might start again during the summer.

21 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Finished my second season and couple days back... I was 2nd going into the final game of the season and ended up drawing and finishing 3rd by one goal difference. Made it to the play off final and lost to Fulham 4-3 despite leading 2-0 at half time, wow I hate this game. Into my third season and currently top, still got Tammy on loan for his third season! This best be the season nearly broke my laptop the other night haha

Won the league third season with 93 points! Team is now set for the Premier League

Lucic

Moore Holding Magnusson
    Naughton                                              Kingsley

Clasie     Coady
                                    Diame

Akpom   Hogan

In my first season after a hard start I led Bristol City to 11th in the championship with Milan Djuric somehow top scorer with 24 league goals with Tammy getting 13 league goals aswell but unfortunately I couldn't resign him on loan for the second season. Also Wilbs retired and he is now a coach alongside David Coles (Bobby Davro!)nanda my assistant Jamie McAllister.

In the second season I signed Rob Holding and Callum Robinson on loan and Rob Holding was a useful back up to Flint and Wright and Robinson was my top scorer with 14 league goals with Djuric just behind on 12. I also replaced Giefer with Martinez from Arsenal and in the end I finished 10th (1 better than last year).

I am now currently in my 3rd season and I made a few signings already including Jota from Brentford, Silvestri from Leeds and Robert Huth on a free. Hoping to get a new striker also but here's my current team.

Martinez

Odoi

Flint

Wright

Magnusson

Paterson

Hegeler

Reid

Bryan

Osvaldo (Brazilian I got on a bosman did ok of the bench last year 3 goals in 11 apps)

Djuric

Bench

Silvestri, Huth, Evans (from Reading), Brownhill, O'Dowda, Engvall, Jota

image.png

About to start my second season in the Premier League, got given 49 million so completely rebuilt the squad. How I wish we had a line up like this in real life...                                 

Forster

Lienhart Holding Ake
    Bree                                                    Sessegnon

Loftus-Cheek     Clasie
                                    Hesketh

Dembele  Werner

Just bought the game - I normally buy it around this time of year when it's cheaper.

Started a BCFC save and suffered a heavy opening day defeat before crashing out of the League Cup at home to Oxford in the first round.

The realism is staggering. It's like I'm actually there.

On 12 June 2017 at 10:20, ollywhyte said:

About to start my second season in the Premier League, got given 49 million so completely rebuilt the squad. How I wish we had a line up like this in real life...                                 

Forster

Lienhart Holding Ake
    Bree                                                    Sessegnon

Loftus-Cheek     Clasie
                                    Hesketh

Dembele  Werner

Great team! Where did you finish?

Just finished first season and it was a bit of a mixed bag really. Like City in real life starting off flying even went on a 10 game unbeaten run through October and November beating both Sunderland and beat West Ham 5-1 :blink: in those 10 games.. Then after that just couldn't string two wins together ended up finishing in 13th. Cup competitions went well though got to rd5 of Fa cup then getting knocked out by Chelsea losing 5-1 and the EFL cup we got to the semi's where we faced Arsenal. At home first leg and actually got a 1nil win i'm guessing because they played a load of kids second leg though was a different story ended up losing 4-1. 

Top Scorer was Tammy he got 28 in 48 games in all comps and Djuric got 23 in 53 games in all comps. So scoring goals don't seem to be my problem its keeping them out down the other end. Giefer conceded 60 in 44 games and fielding 31 in 18 games.

My most played 11 is as follows 

Giefer 

Wright   Flint   Magnusson

Matthews                                                                Sequeira

Brownhill            Smith 

Tomlin 

Djuric   Abraham 

I got sacked from the England job I had taken alongside the City one.

Had 2 International League runners up places (as in won the group, lost the final), a Euros win and an injury time World Cup final defeat. Lost the job after losing on penalties to Russia in the Euros first knockout round.

My last season with City saw 3 cup final defeats and finishing second in the League having been 5 points clear at one point.

My strategy of expensive versatile players, but a small squad backfired, when at one point my entire front 4 (using a 4-2-3-1 style) were injured along with my 3 firsr choice CMs. I had to start a Champions league game with 4 youth players starting! And finished the season with a subs bench that had 5 players with a light injury.

Started a save as Villa, got to January and I'm 5th after 24 games. Signed Tom Ince, Gary Hooper and young(ish) dutch guy and a couple of youngsters on loan. Gets to October/November and I get the board to sign Nahki Wells as he'd requested a transfer as neither Kodjia or Hogan were doing anything for me off the bench (Hooper 16 before January) and Wells then goes and breaks his leg in his last game before joining... £11m well spent.

After injuries decimating my squad 2 seasons in a row I have put my main game on hold.

Started one with every single playable nation added, starting unemployed with no qualifications.

Applied for every job going and was given the job at BK Höllviken in the Swedish first division south.

Target given is to avoid automatic relegation, which I arrogantly thought would be easy- forgetting the Swedish season was half over and the club had managed just one win and 6 points from 13 games.

8 games played so far, 7 points from 7 in the league, but 6 points adrift of the relegation playoff with 6 games left. All against top 6 sides. Had a transfer budget of £0 to add to the squad, which barely manages to fill a subs bench.

This is by far the toughest job I have ever taken.

Finished 7th with Villa in the first season, play offs were incredibly tight 3rd to 8th was like 4 points in it, Hooper got injured with around 5 games to go which cost me dearly given he finished with around 26 goals for the season, at £2.9m I'd say its probably one of my best ever value for money signings on the game now his value is up at £6m for and older player.

Missed out on the play offs by a point having 2 draws and a loss in my last 3 games which included Blackburn getting a last minute equaliser. Then the joy of failing FFP presumably because of the Wells deal. Had to sell £40m worth in players and reduce the wage bill by £200,000 before being able to sign players again (which I managed) and got given a budget of £10m, however I had no keeper, no left back (Amavi and Taylor being sold). 

Signings included Sam Johnstone (had on loan, re-signed permanently for £900,000 3* with potential to rise to 4*, Declan John from Cardiff for LB £2.3m or so. Young Italian left back Dimarco from Inter on loan as cover. Got Jordan Veretout, Charles Gil and Ross McCormack back from loan practically like new signings. Josh Sims from Southampton on loan (LW) and James Wilson on loan from Man Utd. 

...................................Johnstone

Bree..........Chester.........................Baker..........John

.................Hourihane....................Bjarnsson

Gil..............................McCormack......................Grealish

.....................................Wilson 

O'Brien (young GK on a free)

Elphick

Richards

Veretout

Adomah

Hooper

Wells

Pretty happy given everything with FFP over the summer. 

Currently in January in second season and doing not to bad sitting in 2nd behind Fulham by 4 points.  

Notable players sold start of second season

L.Tomiln 1.3 rising to 1.5mill to Hull

M. Pack 250k rising to 375k to Forest

M.Taylor  275k rising to 350k to Burton

G. O'Neil  80k rising to 100k to Blackburn

F. Fielding loan to Peterborough loan

Notable players brought in

Scott Bain GK from Dundee 400k

Ali Crawford to replace Tomiln  from Hamilton 950k

Toni Lato LB on loan from Valencia (quality player get if you can)

John McGinn CM from Hibernain 1.3mill

Got Tammy Abraham on loan for a second season and got Adam Armstrong on loan from Newcastle both banging goals in.

If you can in January in my first season i signed a player called Bruno Zuculini only 24 years of age from Verona from serie B on a free to join me end of his contract in the summer. So had him 6 months now and hes now valued at 8.5mill.

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

After injuries decimating my squad 2 seasons in a row I have put my main game on hold.

Started one with every single playable nation added, starting unemployed with no qualifications.

Applied for every job going and was given the job at BK Höllviken in the Swedish first division south.

Target given is to avoid automatic relegation, which I arrogantly thought would be easy- forgetting the Swedish season was half over and the club had managed just one win and 6 points from 13 games.

8 games played so far, 7 points from 7 in the league, but 6 points adrift of the relegation playoff with 6 games left. All against top 6 sides. Had a transfer budget of £0 to add to the squad, which barely manages to fill a subs bench.

This is by far the toughest job I have ever taken.

Finished the season. Relegated with 15 points from 26 games (under my control it was 9 in 13. Still poor, but better than they were doing.)

I was offered a new contract, though I believe I am currently a division below the lowest you can make available to choose from at the start.

All my best players were on pay as you play deals, and none want to re-sign so a complete squad overhaul needed, though I managed to tied a couple down to a 1 year deal before relegation was confirmed.

End of January in my second season with Villa, p33 w12 d14 L7 - 50 points. Had a bad start to the season but on a 16 game unbeaten streak and in 7th place. In the final of the league cup after beating West Ham in the semis 2-1 away and won 5-2 at home, then beat Spurs 5-4 in the 4th round of the FA cup. January was a bit busy, loan signings Josh Cullen, Freddie Woodman and Marko Grujic. Doing the standard relegated team thing of signing players on big wages, signed Januzaj, Chalobah and Zuculini. Fans hated me signing Will Keane even for a couple of hundred thousand, first game comes off the bench to score 2 to win the game. 

Finished 6th, poor finish over the last 7 games or so but luckily those chasing me were just as bad. Lost to Brighton in the semi finals and then went about another very busy summer. James Wilson is back on loan for the season again (cheaper than buying a striker of his quality) after scoring 20 in all comps for me last season. Federico Dimarco is also back on loan, excellent championship standard left back if anyone is ever looking for one on loan. Other notable signings include Patrick Bamford, although he's playing second fiddle to Wilson has he's scored 9 in 10 games to start the season (including 4 against City :fear: ) and Vladimir Weiss on a free.

Otherwise generally I went abroad for cheaper young players who were around championship standard with higher potential. Adam Maher, CAM on a free from PSV's B team, Nicolas de Preville LW from Oostende on a free (Lille in real time), Sam Lammers, striker from PSV. Ivan Fiolic from Utrecht for £4.5m can play CAM or RW. Raman Chibsah from Sassulo on a free, plays as a ball winning midfielder. And then Akpom, Garbutt, Byrne, Hennessy Marc Robers and Zelalem. Feel I may have bought a couple too many as only a few of them made it into my starting XI but my squad is very strong now.

.......................................... Johnstone

Byrne................Chester........................Roberts.............Dimarco

.......................Hourihane.....................Bjarnssen 

Januzaj..............................Maher...................................de Preville

..........................................Wilson

• Hennessy
  • Bree
  • Baker (broke his leg in February, only just came back for the new season)
  • Chalobah
  • Fiolic
  • Grealish
  • Bamford

After 10 games I'm top having won 7, lost 3. Biggest win has been away at City winning 6-1 (funnily all goals in the first half) and City now have 2 of my old strikers in Will Keane and Nahki Wells, they're loitering outside the play offs.

Archived