IGNORED

Your best loved City player

Major Isewater

Keeper......We all agreed he was better than Yashin.

Defender........Bites yer legs.  (My all time favourite player, years before he joined us)

Midfield........He's here, he's there, he's looking down over us now.         R.I.P. legend.

Striker......We'd have walked a million miles for one of his goals.

All wonderful players in their own individual ways.  Those were great days.

I started watching in earnst from the 89 season. so only can consider players from there onwards.

Can I pick a new one in LJ?? (jokes!)

No really these are mine:

Gavin / Smith the wing wizards, Nicky Morgan (class player and very underrated), Tinnion, Scotty Murray, Basso, Trundle (although he did not show us his best form), Noble, Russell. Tomlin (for last season, not this one!)

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

just thought of another,

Bas Savage...... the only player I have seen, who made me think I could still become a professional footballer 

I'm sure he wore clowns boots he was shocking. Imagine him and Andy Smith up front, you'd be lucky to get 5 goals and season.

Easy one for me. Maybe not the most gifted but Matty Hill. Local lad. Played with heart, determination and great strength for someone with small stature but always with a beaming smile on his face.

I have many other favourites with better records.. but for me Matty is what it was all about to be a footballer for your local cub and he looked like he was enjoying it the whole time

On 08/06/2017 at 12:39, Eddie Hitler said:

That's better Major.

Paul Agostino, ran his socks off every game and clearly enjoyed playing.

That the club admin staff were too slow to wake up to the implication of the Bosman ruling on player contracts is their fault and not his. See also Liam Rosenoir.

Aggo ran a lot and that was it!!

John Galley for me. I used to spot him washing his car outside his house in Whitchurch Lane on a Sunday afternoon when I was being driven to my nan's house in Nailsea. Still instinctively look towards the house now 47 yrs later.

Paul Cheesely my hero of the promotion season. I was behind the Goal in the Park End the night he was 'done' by Shilton....sad end to a promising career.

Despite my avitar it's Donnie Gillies for me. Even after all the intervening years I'm not sure why. Perhaps it was the tash or the fact he could look quite frightening especially when going for a 50 50 ball.

It would be easy to say Gow but for me Gillies epitomised everything that was Bristol City at the time.

We had some really great players at the time Merrick was such a quick and incisive defender coupled with the silky smooth Gary Collier, the perfect foil.

If Cheesley hadn't picked up that career ending injury perhaps his name would've been as popular as Gerry Gow's.

Growing up it was always Matt Hill i liked think the whole being from Bristol thing plus he never really got the credit i thought he deserved. On my shirts growing up i always had Bell for Micky Bell not sure if i liked him or just because it was the cheapest option ha! ha!

In today's era i like Aaron Wilbraham just for the fact of his goals to get us up plus the way he walks out like a Sunday league player. Slightly overweight with a red bull in his hand then bully's defenders plus a cracking beard ha! ha!

Big John, never bought into idolising anyone really, but with him I made the exception. As a kid he lit up my hum drum world living in in Bris, and going to that Harlcliffe Borstal ,School, couldn't wait for Saturdays home and away. The perfect gentleman, but hard as nails, I mean rock hard, the toughest man I have ever seen play football, and always had time for the fans.... they broke the mould. 

Archived