IGNORED

Redevelopment of the Atyeo

Robbored

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I didn't realise I'd been evicted from the "bosom" of the forum........who are these "people" anyway? :dunno:

if you read through this thread you'll have seen that the source of this info reckoned that there is enough space between the Atyeo and the wall of the car park to expand outwards but more importantly upwards.

I've always said this, look back at the drawings for the recent redevelopment and you will see a new stand equal size to the south stand would fit in the space quite comfortably. I'm not sure why there is always this obsession about buying up the houses it's simply not an obstacle 

34 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Just remember Rob, There is always someone worse off than you

and your food vouchers are feeding a whole village in Africa.

it is easier too smile than frown

and I am a lazy bar steward

I can only assume my personal account manager has relocated to Africa on my meal ticket.

11 hours ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Can't be too integrated as it will be full of away fans next year. If they built seats under the tv screen it will limit access to the ground for the groundsmen and also they would only end up netting them because of segragation.

Heard it's an addition of a second tier which will be integrated into upper dolman and original atyeo thus still segregated 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I've always said this, look back at the drawings for the recent redevelopment and you will see a new stand equal size to the south stand would fit in the space quite comfortably. I'm not sure why there is always this obsession about buying up the houses it's simply not an obstacle 

This is an occasion when size doesn't matter. It's due to the Right to Light legislation that applies to the houses behind the Atyeo:

"windows that have received natural daylight for 20 years or more is entitled to forbid any construction or other obstruction that would deprive him or her of that illumination. Neighbours cannot build anything that would block the light without permission"

Although the law has recently changed, it's not retrospective. 

19 hours ago, jambodinho said:

The only 2 ways onto the pitch at old Trafford are via the 2 tunnels. One by the corner flag and one between the dugouts. Neither of which big enough to get and ambulance or horses through. The worst injury I can think of there was David Buust and he was taken off on a stretcher and down the tunnel. I'd imagine it's probably only amateur football where access is needed for an ambulance. 

Someone had better let Wally and the UWE know then 

IF SL was buying up the houses via some intermediary (which I don`t think is the case going by previous threads on here over the years) the sensible thing to do would be to rent them out to students and suchlike in the interim as they`re not going to make it obvious by boarding them up. I don`t think this is happening.

From my pre match position on the Natch Wall I keep an eye on what`s for sale along there and there have only been about three or four in the last three years or so.

The big advantage for any owner along there if we did start actively looking to buy them up is that BCFC would be a cash buyer with no chain or anything to worry about so that could prove attractive to anyone looking to sell and perhaps deter owners from holding the club to ransom - particularly if a decent deal re. solicitors fees etc was also on the table.

TBH if anything is actually happening local estate agents would have to be aware of it and I feel sure that news would have leaked out by now if that were the case. Even if houses were secretly being bought up privately they would know it was going on.

The only people who would know for sure are the club and the folks who live along there.

9 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Heard it's an addition of a second tier which will be integrated into upper dolman and original atyeo thus still segregated 

Many speculated that the Atyeo would be rebuilt after the rest of the stadium was developed, but because of the houses behind I always thought that they would be disappointed and that it would end in tiers!

10 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Makes sense and would certainly be 'the way to go-though wouldn't the Atyeo have had to,in its own construction,provision built in to support such a structure??

10 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Ever stopped to think about the Right to Light legislation fella? 

BS must be confident their plans don't contravene the legislation. Just hope the tarmac behind the Atyeo isn't actually a village green and none of us have noticed.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Makes sense and would certainly be 'the way to go-though wouldn't the Atyeo have had to,in its own construction,provision built in to support such a structure??

Would just need some engineering magic. Didn't something similar happen with liverpool's new stand?

12 hours ago, phantom said:

Sorry but you're wrong. The impact of a larger stand on the houses is unacceptable from a planning point of view. It wouldn't get planning permission.

58 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

BS must be confident their plans don't contravene the legislation. Just hope the tarmac behind the Atyeo isn't actually a village green and none of us have noticed.

Does BS being confident give you the feeling it will go ahead? Wouldn't trust them to be able to organise a piss up in a brewery. Shambles.

1 hour ago, hollydog said:

Sorry but you're wrong. The impact of a larger stand on the houses is unacceptable from a planning point of view. It wouldn't get planning permission.

Not completely cut and dried.

In England and Wales a right to light is usually acquired under the Prescription Act 1832. Under the Act a right to light usually occurs once light has been enjoyed through defined apertures of a building for an uninterrupted period of 20 years.

An infringement may give the neighbouring owner the right to seek an injunction to have the proposed development reduced in size. If the loss of light is small and can be adequately compensated by money, a court may decide to award compensation instead of an injunction.

Calculations need to be made to determine how much light will be lost, it's possible that the Atyeo was reduced in depth and height simply to avoid litigation. But it could be say 100K to each householder affected, and maybe the ones at the Atyeo Dolman end aren't affected at all.

If the owner has the right, and not the building itself, it could be that many of the current home owners haven't been in the houses for 20 years, I assume it's the building, but it may not be.

If the house is rented perhaps the owner, who may not be the occupier, would be quite happy with a payout.

43 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

.....it's possible that the Atyeo was reduced in depth and height simply to avoid litigation....

When you look at corner of the Atyeo where it doesn't quite meet the media centre, it's clear that it was designed, approved and built to avoid a legal wrangle.

The stand loses a few rows at that back corner in a staggered fashion to maintain a minimum distance to the houses behind (they aren't parallel with the stand).

If the club were prepared to face the issue of compensation with the residents then there is plenty of room to build a south stand replica.

If I lived in that terrace and was offered £100k or more to have a wall closer to my back garden fence, I would take the money in a heartbeat - it's not like they've got a great view at the moment.

Just now, Xiled said:

When you look at corner of the Atyeo where it doesn't quite meet the media centre, it's clear that it was designed, approved and built to avoid a legal wrangle.

The stand loses a few rows at that back corner in a staggered fashion to maintain a minimum distance to the houses behind (they aren't parallel with the stand).

If the club were prepared to face the issue of compensation with the residents then there is plenty of room to build a south stand replica.

If I lived in that terrace and was offered £100k or more to have a wall closer to my back garden fence, I would take the money in a heartbeat - it's not like they've got a great view at the moment.

I agree about the staggered back to the Atyeo. I just read the Wiki page and it seems the way the light is measured is now in dispute, and in addition some councils will agree to loss of light if the building improves the economic viability of the area, I guess this applies to office blocks more than football stadium, but there is no doubt the rebuild has boosted the local economy, and provided jobs, perhaps a deal has been done over the Ashton Vale houses that includes an Atyeo rebuild.

3 hours ago, Xiled said:

Compensation is not a simple issue. An offer of £100k might seem O.K. but a large stand immediately behind the houses would have a devastating affect on the value of each house if it was sold. An owner would have to consider the implications. It would only need one person to decline an offer, for the whole plan to be scuppered  

2 hours ago, cynic said:

I suppose the club could soften the outlook for the residents with some trees along the back of the houses in what is now the car park. And/or, if there was enough room, create some private parking spaces which would add a bit of value to the properties. Good neighbour and all that...

Trees sound good, but that's just something else to block the light. Parking spaces might be welcomed by the owners of the houses, but I doubt that there is sufficient space as, in addition to the land required for a stand extension, space is also required for an external concourse 

5 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Not completely cut and dried.

In England and Wales a right to light is usually acquired under the Prescription Act 1832. Under the Act a right to light usually occurs once light has been enjoyed through defined apertures of a building for an uninterrupted period of 20 years.

An infringement may give the neighbouring owner the right to seek an injunction to have the proposed development reduced in size. If the loss of light is small and can be adequately compensated by money, a court may decide to award compensation instead of an injunction.

Calculations need to be made to determine how much light will be lost, it's possible that the Atyeo was reduced in depth and height simply to avoid litigation. But it could be say 100K to each householder affected, and maybe the ones at the Atyeo Dolman end aren't affected at all.

If the owner has the right, and not the building itself, it could be that many of the current home owners haven't been in the houses for 20 years, I assume it's the building, but it may not be.

If the house is rented perhaps the owner, who may not be the occupier, would be quite happy with a payout.

I think you misunderstood me. My point relates to planning permission not right to light (which as you say is something that could be overcome). The planning authority will look at wider issues of "amenity" including the overbearing effect of the structure and impact on outlook.

20 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Ever stopped to think about the Right to Light legislation fella? 

It's okay, they're going to paint a massive picture of the sun on the back of it.

If it is a second tier, I hope it's not like that effort at Forest that tails away to nothing as it gets closer to the Lansdown stand where the houses are closest.

Archived