IGNORED

Redevelopment of the Atyeo

Robbored

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:54, jambodinho said:

The only 2 ways onto the pitch at old Trafford are via the 2 tunnels. One by the corner flag and one between the dugouts. Neither of which big enough to get and ambulance or horses through. The worst injury I can think of there was David Buust and he was taken off on a stretcher and down the tunnel. I'd imagine it's probably only amateur football where access is needed for an ambulance. 

Ambulance access mightn't be an issue for us in future....

....if I have my way we'll soon have our own Hot Air Balloon!  :fingerscrossed:

9 hours ago, Xiled said:

When you look at corner of the Atyeo where it doesn't quite meet the media centre, it's clear that it was designed, approved and built to avoid a legal wrangle.

The stand loses a few rows at that back corner in a staggered fashion to maintain a minimum distance to the houses behind (they aren't parallel with the stand).

If the club were prepared to face the issue of compensation with the residents then there is plenty of room to build a south stand replica.

If I lived in that terrace and was offered £100k or more to have a wall closer to my back garden fence, I would take the money in a heartbeat - it's not like they've got a great view at the moment.

The staggered comer has bugged me for over 15 years and finally I have the answer!!!!

9 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

The staggered comer has bugged me for over 15 years and finally I have the answer!!!!

The shadow from this (dated) aerial photo illustrates it pretty perfectly:

IMG_0907.thumb.PNG.891be930c74094cd825908d46c167a8a.PNG

On 09/06/2017 at 23:15, cider head said:

Would look good upload.jpg

...... apart from the fact it shows a nice big Atyeo end AND all the houses still there.

This is the point.

The stadium boundary would have to go out to the road.

All it takes is for the last resident to be a sag, and it's no complete stadium.

Nice try.

tfj

On 13/06/2017 at 10:15, Taxi for Johnson said:

...... apart from the fact it shows a nice big Atyeo end AND all the houses still there.

This is the point.

The stadium boundary would have to go out to the road.

All it takes is for the last resident to be a sag, and it's no complete stadium.

Nice try.

tfj

The image at the Atyeo end is a copy of the south stand but flipped round and it fits the Atyeo stand and car park area.

Behind the Atyeo car park wall is a small lane for access to the houses gardens so don't underestimate the size from the car park wall to the Atyeo stands pitch side advertising boards, the area is much larger than the Eastend / Dolman end garden walls.

It can be done with the houses staying although demolition of the houses would give you more car parking and a more pretty look.

2 minutes ago, cider head said:

The image at the Atyeo end is a copy of the south stand but flipped round and it fits the Atyeo stand and car park area.

Behind the Atyeo car park wall is a small lane for access to the houses gardens so don't underestimate the size from the car park wall to the Atyeo stands pitch side advertising boards, the area is much larger than the Eastend / Dolman end garden walls.

It can be done with the houses staying although demolition of the houses would give you more car parking and a more pretty look.

Look on google earth: it can't be done with the houses remaining.

You have to have some access behind the stand for access / evacuation / emergency use. If you want to build a big stand there (all other three sides are substantial / large footprints), then the houses would have to go.

Anyway - blame bloody Robbored, not me: "he started it".

:grr:

tfj

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

You have to have some access behind the stand for access / evacuation / emergency use. If you want to build a big stand there (all other three sides are substantial / large footprints), then the houses would have to go.

Like the Dolman stand?

Small walkway at the back - entrances either end

Why, on a regular basis, do with have this discussion about extending the Atyeo with the houses in place? There is no ambiguity about the light issue for the houses and the assumption that City could just bung the owners a few thousand pounds to waive their rights is wildly optimistic. An Atyeo extension backing into the very small gardens would drastically reduce the value of the houses. It's also ridiculous to assume that the owners are stupid. Anyone with any sense would know they could hold City to ransom over this and demand an extortionate sum.  

It's not as though there is a real problem as current capacity is 27k ish. Gate receipts are not as important as they used to be, as the big money comes from TV if a club is in the Premier League. Quite a few other grounds have odd redevelopments, though not always obvious on TV - e g West Brom have a very small stand on one side, but this doesn't show as the cameras are in this stand and only show the other 3 stands 

All this talk of trees to soften the landscape behind a possible new Atyeo, well I hope someone at the club remembers to water them.

Half the new Silver Birches put in to line the brook behind the South Stand had already died off when I walked past at the last home game.

Is the 'media centre' referred to on this thread the completely out of place, flat, grey building between the SS and the Atyeo? Or is this the (oversized) police control room/or both?

Dreadful eyesore from the Dolman.

Hard to imagine such an ugly building was ever meant to be permanent, so perhaps this points to the Atyeo redevelopment, and corner infillling, happening and the media/police then functioning from something that actually looks like part of a football stadium.

Do any other clubs have such prominent stand alone buildings especially for the media/police?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

All this talk of trees to soften the landscape behind a possible new Atyeo, well I hope someone at the club remembers to water them.

Half the new Silver Birches put in to line the brook behind the South Stand had already died off when I walked past at the last home game.

Is the 'media centre' referred to on this thread the completely out of place, flat, grey building between the SS and the Atyeo? Or is this the (oversized) police control room/or both?

Dreadful eyesore from the Dolman.

Hard to imagine such an ugly building was ever meant to be permanent, so perhaps this points to the Atyeo redevelopment, and corner infillling, happening and the media/police then functioning from something that actually looks like part of a football stadium.

Do any other clubs have such prominent stand alone buildings especially for the media/police?

:no:

I suppose BS could shorten the pitch to move the Atyeo towards the South stand.. Look at this web site to see the rules & regs regarding Pitch Sizes .. Interestingly our pitch is bigger than several Prem Clubs ..

http://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/are-all-football-pitches-the-same-size/

Ashton Gate

Bristol City         105        68          7,140

Are All Football Pitches The Same Size?

We’ve all been there. Watching our team in an away game on a Saturday afternoon and aware of the fact that the players seem to be absolutely knackered. We’ve probably called them lazy and used some other choice language to make our feelings about them known.

But did you know that not all pitches are the same size? It could be that these players who think are being lazy are actually just not used to having to cover so much ground because the playing surface they’re on now is significantly different in its dimensions from the one in the team’s home ground. Here we’ll explain how it is that pitches can be so different and what, if any, difference it makes to the match you’re watching.

Football Pitch Dimension Rules

Here’s a really interesting quirk of the game. Football pitches not only don’t have to be the same size but, in fact, can cary wildly from each other because the rules state minimum and maximum widths and lengths rather than specific measurements that must be adhered to.

When it comes to the length of a pitch it must be between a minimum of 100 yards, or 90 metres, and a maximum of 130 yards, or 120 metres. The width is similarly vague in its specifications. A pitch can be a minimum of 50 yards, or 45 metres, in width and a maximum of 100 yards, or 90 metres.

Of course one of the other things about a football pitch is that it must maintain its aspect ratio, so to speak, meaning that you’ll never see a pitch that is 90 metres by 90 metres. This may fit in with the minimum and maximum sizes but it wouldn’t keep the ratio correct so it wouldn’t be allowed.

There is also a different size range depending on the age group the pitch is being used by. Under 8s, for example, can play on a pitch ranging from 27.45 metres to 45.75 metres in length and from 18.30 metres to 27.45 metres in width. The Under 13 - Under14 age group, meanwhile have a range of 72.80 metres to 91 metres in length and 45.50 metres to 56 metres in width.

Whilst there is no exact specification of dimensions that pitches have to adhere to, there is a suggested pitch size for clubs to work with. For senior teams that is 64.01 metres in width by a length of 100.58 metres.

Just for added confusion, FIFA have set different minimum and maximum dimensions for international competitions. These are a minimum of 64 metres to a maximum of 75 metres in width alongside a minimum of 100 metres to a maximum of 110 metres in length.

The Premier League is not against adding further complications into the mix, either. In 2012 they attempted to standardise the pitch dimensions for teams in their division by adding rule K21 to their manifesto. It declared that “Unless otherwise permitted by the board, in league matches the length of the pitch shall be 105 metres and its breadth 68 metres”. All fine and dandy, but rule K22 then stated that clubs would be exempt from rule K21 “if it is impossible to comply with rule K21 due to the nature of the construction of the ground”. Clear as muck, as they say.

On 2017-6-9 at 20:25, 1960maaan said:

Just thinking out loud but ......

If I were buying up the houses, and there wasn't particularly any timescale , I'd wait until the house(s) came up for sale and buy through a 3rd party. 
Never would I approach someone and show my hand as then you can be held to ransom. If ( humungous if) he was buying them up, and had been for a while , the less people to realise the better. Those houses must be worth a decent amount, the one in Frayne road is on for £450,000 so that gives you an idea, but if you found out and were the last couple of houses available ????
I can't remember the address but there is a site that you can see when, and how much for , houses sold. I did look a while back but you'd need to look from SL's take over, or shortly after.

Zoopla

5 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

tfj

What if access/egress was at ground level beneath the upper level of a revamped stand? I seem to recall the Doug Ellis at Villa Park actually reaching over the pavement, or was I pissed?

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It is strange, with CCTV it's not as though it needs to be inside at all. The reporters (I use he term loosely for the BEP) have an area in the Lansdown so not sure why it's there. Someone with their finger more closely to the pulse may be able to elaborate .

2 hours ago, flipflopcity said:

I suppose BS could shorten the pitch to move the Atyeo towards the South stand.. Look at this web site to see the rules & regs regarding Pitch Sizes .. Interestingly our pitch is bigger than several Prem Clubs ..

http://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/are-all-football-pitches-the-same-size/

Ashton Gate

We’ve all been there. Watching our team in an away game on a Saturday afternoon and aware of the fact that the players seem to be absolutely knackered. We’ve probably called them lazy and used some other choice language to make our feelings about them known.

But did you know that not all pitches are the same size? It could be that these players who think are being lazy are actually just not used to having to cover so much ground because the playing surface they’re on now is significantly different in its dimensions from the one in the team’s home ground. Here we’ll explain how it is that pitches can be so different and what, if any, difference it makes to the match you’re watching.

Here’s a really interesting quirk of the game. Football pitches not only don’t have to be the same size but, in fact, can cary wildly from each other because the rules state minimum and maximum widths and lengths rather than specific measurements that must be adhered to.

When it comes to the length of a pitch it must be between a minimum of 100 yards, or 90 metres, and a maximum of 130 yards, or 120 metres. The width is similarly vague in its specifications. A pitch can be a minimum of 50 yards, or 45 metres, in width and a maximum of 100 yards, or 90 metres.

Of course one of the other things about a football pitch is that it must maintain its aspect ratio, so to speak, meaning that you’ll never see a pitch that is 90 metres by 90 metres. This may fit in with the minimum and maximum sizes but it wouldn’t keep the ratio correct so it wouldn’t be allowed.

There is also a different size range depending on the age group the pitch is being used by. Under 8s, for example, can play on a pitch ranging from 27.45 metres to 45.75 metres in length and from 18.30 metres to 27.45 metres in width. The Under 13 - Under14 age group, meanwhile have a range of 72.80 metres to 91 metres in length and 45.50 metres to 56 metres in width.

Whilst there is no exact specification of dimensions that pitches have to adhere to, there is a suggested pitch size for clubs to work with. For senior teams that is 64.01 metres in width by a length of 100.58 metres.

Just for added confusion, FIFA have set different minimum and maximum dimensions for international competitions. These are a minimum of 64 metres to a maximum of 75 metres in width alongside a minimum of 100 metres to a maximum of 110 metres in length.

The Premier League is not against adding further complications into the mix, either. In 2012 they attempted to standardise the pitch dimensions for teams in their division by adding rule K21 to their manifesto. It declared that “Unless otherwise permitted by the board, in league matches the length of the pitch shall be 105 metres and its breadth 68 metres”. All fine and dandy, but rule K22 then stated that clubs would be exempt from rule K21 “if it is impossible to comply with rule K21 due to the nature of the construction of the ground”. Clear as muck, as they say.

Rugby.

Rugby ? I still think you would be able to squeeze it in ... I played on the Mem when it was a proper pitch and looking at the sag pitch size it is smaller than AG !!

A typical length is 100m for the field of play plus the depth of the ingoal areas at both ends of the field, say10m each - total 120m. The width is typically 70m so the area = 120m x 70m = 8400 sq m. A full size pitch (22m ingoal) would be 144m x 70m = 10080 sq m.

3 hours ago, flipflopcity said:

Ashton Gate

Wonderful! The result would be a multi million pound Lansdown Stand and the redeveloped Dolman Stand that are no longer aligned to the pitch. The seats in Atyeo end of the Lansdown and Dolman stands would also have restricted views due to the new Atyeo being built in front of them. 

To all those trying to suggest ways  of extending the Atyeo with the houses in place, please try to rearrange the following words into a sentence:

Straws, at, clutching 

7 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

tfj

Make the stand slightly shorter to the car park wall as all that photo is just an idea which shows how it could look.

4 hours ago, flipflopcity said:

Ashton Gate

So basically, the pitch is Premier League ready. :thumbsup:

Are our sprinklers up to standard?

On 09/06/2017 at 11:54, jambodinho said:

The only 2 ways onto the pitch at old Trafford are via the 2 tunnels. One by the corner flag and one between the dugouts. Neither of which big enough to get and ambulance or horses through. The worst injury I can think of there was David Buust and he was taken off on a stretcher and down the tunnel. I'd imagine it's probably only amateur football where access is needed for an ambulance. 

That's incorrect the corner tunnel does have ambulance access

Just now, Taxi for Johnson said:

.......... AND modern ambulances have diesel engines - no need for the horses.

:thumbsup:

tfj

.............. and there would be no need for a massive stables in the new Atyeo.

It's a win-win - apart from the fact Robbored has made all of this up.

Bastad.

tfj

Bristol Rovers directors bought houses in the adjoining roads to their proposed redevelopment of the rugby ground, (about 07/08). This benefitted them in various ways. Firstly, there was less opposition to their scheme, secondly, they were rented out and income was gained, thirdly they made a profit on their investment when they were subsequently sold.

Their scheme involved building very close to the neighbouring houses, it also included student accommodation which overlooked those houses. Sadly for them, I believe GCC got their plans through first, which diminished the need for student accommodation in the area, the rest is history. 

On another point, the right to light is a very complicated law, which it seems is down to interpretation. From admittedly, the little I've read, it relates to how long the people have had that light, to how much percentage light would be lost, to how much compensation would be acceptable for that loss of light, depending on the gain to the community of the development.     More to the point, is the angle of light. From memory, according to building regs, this used to be 20 degrees from the lowest nearest window, to the top of a new structure, (though I did read that it's now 45 degrees). So it's possible to draw a line from that lowest, nearest window, at an angle of 20 degrees, (anyone got elevations from the original Atyeo application), this will then determine the height that could be built, but also taking into account the proximity to the boundary. As someone has stated, its is posiible to overhang the boundary, (not needed though). The current stand is nowhere near the height which would affect the light to the houses in Ashton Rd and would appear to have been a compromise, just to sail it through planning without being contentious.

As for access, it would be no different than it currently is, access is gained to that area at each end. It could then be an open concourse, just as under the Dolman and the other stands. Vehicle access would be in the same area, as it needs to be maintained to the rear of the Dolman.

Archived