IGNORED

Maggs (Merged)

cityred exile

All this shows me that there are a lot of negatives to having lots of choice.  Rather than accepting his faults and working on them, LJ seems to be saying he's not good enough or versatile and will look to the transfer market for a quick fix. On the other hand, Iceland have a very small pool of players so he is being picked, clearly gaining confidence in a side that must have remarkable self belief with a strong team ethic.  I wonder which coach he respects the most?

8 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

My understanding with Mags was that if he played a certain number of games in his first season for us, we would have to pay Juventus more money.

If other clubs aren't interested (for the right fee) Over the summer, I'm sure he will be a main stay next season.

Interesting idea.  When he dropped out of the squad that seemed a particularly odd decision (injury time aside).  Through the middle of the season (when we were shipping goals) it would have been dangerous to have him on the bench as that would have put even more pressure on a beleaguered Lee Johnson - selecting him but not playing him.

But, I didn't think we were in a perilous financial situation where appearance related payments would hurt us - unless it was an absurd clause/charge.

Would really like to see him back in the starting 11.  He didn't do much wrong in the games I saw him play.

16 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

My understanding with Mags was that if he played a certain number of games in his first season for us, we would have to pay Juventus more money.

If other clubs aren't interested (for the right fee) Over the summer, I'm sure he will be a main stay next season.

Surely that can't be the reason he hardly featured later in the season.

It must have been a hell of a fee if we sidelined a player to save money, meanwhile we played without him whilst paying him and probably unsettled him too. Oh and of course we bought another player in* Real saving that must have been, and could be disastrous in the long run too.

*I'm not suggesting it wasn't right to bring Bailey Wright in btw.

But yes, I agree that sometimes our club seems to have no logic

1 hour ago, ColeCiderRed said:

That was the rumour but, as RedM says, it must have been a seriously large fee in the clause for us to drop him?

Do we know if said clause still applies next season?

The other thing, if this clause, as rumoured, is true, is that Magners wasn't purchased with the expectation of playing so many games as he did? I find the idea that clubs like us, would sign players from Juve and not play them a tad daft TBH. It sounds like a poorly drafted contract if that clause is correct and of no benefit to the club or the player.

54 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Mags scores a winner.  Let's use this as an opportunity to slag off LJ.  What next?  LJ doesn't select the right beach towel for his holiday? Give the bloke the summer off at least!

Well done Mags.

Not really I think the frustration is we were weak in both fullback positions all season whilst we had an international left back getting no game time. We should of at least tried him there. 

Hopefully we'll see more of him next season 

Just now, WolfOfWestStreet said:

So he kept a clean sheet and scored the winner against a team that includes one of the worlds best midfielders who has just lifted his third champikns league trophy ... 

But he can't get in the team to play Ipswich...

Something wrong here. 

Has he done a 'Hegeler' and said 'I' a left back / CH' and it doesn't suit the team? The rumoured clause is genuine? Definitely something has gone on.

28 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Has he done a 'Hegeler' and said 'I' a left back / CH' and it doesn't suit the team? The rumoured clause is genuine? Definitely something has gone on.

Lj called him out against preston even though we were 4 0 down when he came on. 

If he doesnt rate him, even though it was his signing, then he needs to be sold. 

But would rather see johnson **** off to be honest 

Just now, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Lj called him out against preston even though we were 4 0 down when he came on. 

If he doesnt rate him, even though it was his signing, then he needs to be sold. 

But would rather see johnson **** off to be honest 

I'm in agreement there WoWS! 

I am not a stato, but I think our form was abysmal when he had a run in the side and picked up when he was dropped? Maybe someone can check that who likes looking at the stat’s?

It may just be that he is a good player (I think he is), but was not right for the side we had at the time. I certainly dont see Baily Wright as an improvement, but overall our form did pick up with him in the side.

8 hours ago, BCFC1990 said:

I think the frustration is we were weak in both fullback positions all season whilst we had an international left back getting no game time. We should of at least tried him there. 

Danny Rose, Peter Stybar and now Hordur....what is it about left backs that no one knew were left backs at Bristol City - some sort of cloaking device?

11 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

That was the rumour but, as RedM says, it must have been a seriously large fee in the clause for us to drop him?

Do we know if said clause still applies next season?

The other thing, if this clause, as rumoured, is true, is that Magners wasn't purchased with the expectation of playing so many games as he did? I find the idea that clubs like us, would sign players from Juve and not play them a tad daft TBH. It sounds like a poorly drafted contract if that clause is correct and of no benefit to the club or the player.

It was physically stated in an interview (Mark Ashton, start of Jan I believe) that some players had played more than expected, and others less. Magnusson and Engvall were namechecked (from memory).

Archived