IGNORED

Two yellows

reddoc

Quick question. Crossed my mind earlier watching the U20s.

Can you get sent off for two yellow cards without having received the first one?

I'm talking about the situation where a bookable offence occurs , plays allowed to continue, and then the ref goes back to book the player. If the same player commits another bookable offence during the advantage period of play, can he get booked for that and the as yet unpunished offence at the same time, even though he's unaware of the previous booking?

Sorry, been bothering me all day. Hope that made sense.

What do you mean? A player commits two bookable offences in one continuous period of play but only gets the one? Don't recall that happening before but I'm sure a ref would send them off. Unless Graham Poll was in charge...:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Quick question. Crossed my mind earlier watching the U20s.

Can you get sent off for two yellow cards without having received the first one?

I'm talking about the situation where a bookable offence occurs , plays allowed to continue, and then the ref goes back to book the player. If the same player commits another bookable offence during the advantage period of play, can he get booked for that and the as yet unpunished offence at the same time, even though he's unaware of the previous booking?

Sorry, been bothering me all day. Hope that made sense.

I believe the answer is yes.

I'm pretty sure the rules say no, but think Chris Baird got two in a single passage of play for N.Ireland a few seasons back.  He had a hack at someone then pulled the player back 10 seconds later as they broke on them.

In defence if some refs, I think that's why if they see a foul that's a yellow, they don't play an advantage, because the same player might commit another yellow later in the move.

Happy to be corrected (@shelts)

2 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

What do you mean? A player commits two bookable offences in one continuous period of play but only gets the one? Don't recall that happening before but I'm sure a ref would send them off. Unless Graham Poll was in charge...:facepalm:

Yep, yellow card offence, ref allows play to continue planning to go back and book him at the next opportunity, but he commits another yellow offence before the refs had the chance to give him the first.

Im no referee but  would say the player has clocked up two yellow card offences in a very short space of time so gets shown 1 yellow followed immediately by a red....unless 2 yellow have to be shown before the red. Either way, hes off.

I was wrong....

Yes. If both the offences deserve a yellow card each, the referee is obligated to show the player two yellows (and hence a red card). The referee must indicate that the first yellow is for the first offence and the subsequent yellow for the second offence. 

After the second offence, the referee must stop play immediately unless there is a clear goal scoring opportunity. Advantage may not be played on sending-off offences unless a clear goal scoring opportunity is present.

13 hours ago, reddoc said:

Yep, yellow card offence, ref allows play to continue planning to go back and book him at the next opportunity, but he commits another yellow offence before the refs had the chance to give him the first.

Essentially that's two bookable offences in one period of play?

In which case the referee would show two yellows at the earliest opportunity which means a sending off.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was wrong....

Yes. If both the offences deserve a yellow card each, the referee is obligated to show the player two yellows (and hence a red card). The referee must indicate that the first yellow is for the first offence and the subsequent yellow for the second offence. 

After the second offence, the referee must stop play immediately unless there is a clear goal scoring opportunity. Advantage may not be played on sending-off offences unless a clear goal scoring opportunity is present.

Exactly. It would involve a Kilkenny level of pointing and some quick brandishing of cards but you would see the yellow card shown twice followed by the red.

Archived