IGNORED

New to Golf..

winterbournered

Just taking up the game of Golf. 

Couple of quick questions..

Best course around the South Glos area for newbies and value for money as a member? Also, anybody use a GPS range watch? Worth the money or are there any decent apps for the phone. Struggle with judging distances so actually think this would help. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers 

55 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

Best course around the South Glos area for newbies and value for money as a member? Also, anybody use a GPS range watch? Worth the money or are there any decent apps for the phone. Struggle with judging distances so actually think this would help. 

Cheers 

Thornbury is a pretty good course for starting off, one of the easier courses around. Never done a membership as I like to play different courses.

6 hours ago, winterbournered said:

Cheers 

Woodlands is sound . Relaxed dress code . Not that expensive. 2 courses as well . I play there now and again and I'm shit . So you will be fine . 

I like Woodlands - but lose so many balls there (ruddy water) - a little trip but a nice easy non fussy course is Cotswold Edge - cheap as well - played a few times there - I agree the comment re Kendelshire - not for a starter

As a member of Burnham I can tolerate the slightly stuffy side of Golf - I wish it was more open but some people really do have no manners when they try golf - just avoid slow play and be aware of people on greens etc near to where you are (and avoid shouting if you can  unless it is FORE or Ball Right etc)

Lessons - must be the right thing to do - but having never had a lesson and playing off of 17 (golfing on and off for 30 years) - I took lessons went up to 26 and I am still stuck at 24 - just lost what little I had by trying to be correct!

Go Cotswold Edge in my view

Woodlands and Shortwood are the best courses to start on apart from Entry hill in Bath (3/4 length). Another good place to learn is at Westonbirt where the holes aren't full length but you can still hit a decent long iron at times. All cheap, quite relaxed on clothing, not too long but still challenging. I still play Shortwood now at times TBH.

As for the distances, I would probably find a 150 yard marker on the fairway / pratcice ground / range and try various irons to see which one you hit which distance, consistently, before wasting money on a lower handicappers toy. Once you have an idea of how far you hit, your 9,8, 7 6,5 and 4 iron, then you start playing to leave yourself that distance. The last advice from me would be to leave your driver in the car until you get some form of consistent swing, you'll find the 3 wood much easier to hit and alot more forgiving. 

From small acorns etc.

When I started, I found it was very tempting to waste a shed load of cash on tools that I only started to use properly once I reached 18 and had to go for the green at times. I would suggest a few rounds to get some kind of swing then maybe some group lessons would be money better spent than paying out for a laser distance guide. All courses have markers at 200, 150, 100 yards, either in the middle of the fairway or at the side. Use them but find out if they are to the front of the green or the centre as it can vary and does make a difference as you find consistency in your swing.

18 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I play off 18 and don't own a driver. Hybrid off the tea most par 4's or 5's better to be 220 straight than 260 sideways. 

I leadnt at Westonbirt cracking course lovely views, honest box to pay. Can get around quick as it's 9 holes (play 18 they have two different teams boxes on each hole) and of the 9 holes the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th are par 3's.

I was fitted for my driver zha and it made a hell of a difference although I agree it's the club I regularly leave out of my bag, especially when I was learning the game, it's not worth the trouble. Most go out and buy a 10.5 degree driver as it's the 'norm' but I was fitted for an 8.5 and it's made a fair difference, when I use it, which is only 3 or 4 times during a round at most TBH.

On the hybrids, I've just ordered a 3 and 4 baffler (love Cobra) to replace my 3 and 4 irons as I don't really use them. I'm expecting / hoping for a bit more control with longer approach shots. Any tips as I've never really used them apart from trying a mates hybrid a few times?

I totally agree about Westonbirt BTW, there and Entry hill are ideal IMHO and the views are stunning. Still useful nowadays to practice with irons. 

Have taken up golf at various points in my life, never had the focus to practice enough and have ended up quitting each time. Think my most consistent spell was hitting low 90s. Keep meaning to give it one last go.

Following on from @Ska Junkie's comment of "The last advice from me would be to leave your driver in the car until you get some form of consistent swing, you'll find the 3 wood much easier to hit and alot more forgiving.", I would add work on chipping and putting above everything else, particularly the latter: highly likely you will take upwards of 30+ shots with your putter and maybe 15+ with your wedges on a given round, and if you are even shooting around 100, that is approaching 50% of all shots you make: I know it is great to try and smash your driver out of sight on the range, but unless you work on your short game you will be forever frustrated with the sport.

Just now, One Team In Keynsham said:

Have taken up golf at various points in my life, never had the focus to practice enough and have ended up quitting each time. Think my most consistent spell was hitting low 90s. Keep meaning to give it one last go.

Following on from @Ska Junkie's comment of "The last advice from me would be to leave your driver in the car until you get some form of consistent swing, you'll find the 3 wood much easier to hit and alot more forgiving.", I would add work on chipping and putting above everything else, particularly the latter: highly likely you will take upwards of 30+ shots with your putter and maybe 15+ with your wedges on a given round, and if you are even shooting around 100, that is approaching 50% of all shots you make: I know it is great to try and smash your driver out of sight on the range, but unless you work on your short game you will be forever frustrated with the sport.

I couldn't agree more OTIK. It's all well and good smashing it down the fairway but the short game is where you make your round. I'm not unique in that if I take time off from the game, my pitching around the green turns to rat shit. That's the difference between a handicapper of 18 / 20 and a low handicapper IMHO. 

My old man still plays at 80 and is generally playing his 3rd before I play my second but he is deadly from 120 yards, absolutely sensational. He played off 4 at one time and it's obvious why. He may not be able to hit 250/275 yards anymore but his short game is an education! 

Great advice fella.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I couldn't agree more OTIK. It's all well and good smashing it down the fairway but the short game is where you make your round. I'm not unique in that if I take time off from the game, my pitching around the green turns to rat shit. That's the difference between a handicapper of 18 / 20 and a low handicapper IMHO. 

My old man still plays at 80 and is generally playing his 3rd before I play my second but he is deadly from 120 yards, absolutely sensational. He played off 4 at one time and it's obvious why. He may not be able to hit 250/275 yards anymore but his short game is an education! 

Great advice fella.

Pretty much taken from the various Bob Rotella hardbacks gathering dust on my bookcase.

Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect and Putting Out Of Your Mind are 2 that I particularly recommend: short easy reads, but incredibly insightful.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was fitted for my driver zha and it made a hell of a difference although I agree it's the club I regularly leave out of my bag, especially when I was learning the game, it's not worth the trouble. Most go out and buy a 10.5 degree driver as it's the 'norm' but I was fitted for an 8.5 and it's made a fair difference, when I use it, which is only 3 or 4 times during a round at most TBH.

On the hybrids, I've just ordered a 3 and 4 baffler (love Cobra) to replace my 3 and 4 irons as I don't really use them. I'm expecting / hoping for a bit more control with longer approach shots. Any tips as I've never really used them apart from trying a mates hybrid a few times?

I totally agree about Westonbirt BTW, there and Entry hill are ideal IMHO and the views are stunning. Still useful nowadays to practice with irons. 

Just noticed this comment: cannot speak highly enough of hybrids over long irons, particularly for hackers like I used to be. My 3 and 4 irons were purely illustrative of having bought a full set (indeed, not sure I ever used my 3 iron on a course): I bought a Nike CPR iron and used that instead: way easier to hit.

17 hours ago, Leveller said:

I've resurrected this as I've NEVER played golf but have just retired.

I'm just east of Taunton. Does anybody have any advice on where and how to start around here?

Good for you Leveller.

The best course I've played down in your neck of the woods is Taunton Deane. Very nice it was too and I'm sure there would be a pro there only too happy to give you a few lessons. I'm not sure if there's a range or a pitch and putt course near you but I'm sure there's one relatively close. Most ranges give group lessons for a minimal cost so that might be a good place to start. Either that or buy a cheap / 2nd hand set of clubs and just find somewhere to hit a few balls.  The 3/4 size courses like Entry hill in Bath or Westonbirt are good starting points so have a look for those as well.

Don't spend too much £££ when you start as you may not enjoy it and some of the sets are seriously expensive. IIRC, sports direct do a half tidy starter set for about £100.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-ddh-golf-set-876089?colcode=87608990

Good luck! 

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Good for you Leveller.

The best course I've played down in your neck of the woods is Taunton Deane. Very nice it was too and I'm sure there would be a pro there only too happy to give you a few lessons. I'm not sure if there's a range or a pitch and putt course near you but I'm sure there's one relatively close. Most ranges give group lessons for a minimal cost so that might be a good place to start. Either that or buy a cheap / 2nd hand set of clubs and just find somewhere to hit a few balls.  The 3/4 size courses like Entry hill in Bath or Westonbirt are good starting points so have a look for those as well.

Don't spend too much £££ when you start as you may not enjoy it and some of the sets are seriously expensive. IIRC, sports direct do a half tidy starter set for about £100.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-ddh-golf-set-876089?colcode=87608990

Good luck! 

Thanks for the response. Taunton town centre has Vivary Park which seems a basic municipal facility, so I guess that may be somewhere to start.

12 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Thanks for the response. Taunton town centre has Vivary Park which seems a basic municipal facility, so I guess that may be somewhere to start.

After a quick google of Vivary park, that looks ideal mate, not too long and not too expensive. Just don't get too frustrated with yourself when you're not smashing it 300 yards straight away. Just enjoy it as it's a great game.

32 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I wouldn't wish Vivary on my worst enemy. It has a football-golf course interleaving with the golf holes, too many par 3s, too many cross-over holes and a pay and display car park. Ok to try out golf for a start if you're not sure but if you can get a deal at Taunton and Pickeridge or Oake Manor you might be better off - there are play and pay deals, 5 day memberships and seniors discounts at quite a few clubs. If you're on the Bridgwater side Enmore is great.

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

I wouldn't wish Vivary on my worst enemy. It has a football-golf course interleaving with the golf holes, too many par 3s, too many cross-over holes and a pay and display car park. Ok to try out golf for a start if you're not sure but if you can get a deal at Taunton and Pickeridge or Oake Manor you might be better off - there are play and pay deals, 5 day memberships and seniors discounts at quite a few clubs. If you're on the Bridgwater side Enmore is great.

Thanks.

Thornbury - Fairly forgiving course and a good start for first timers. The Par 5's are good distance for new starters and help you find your distances 

Cotswold Edge - Front 9 very much like Thornbury, fairly open and wide fairways. Back 9, very enclosed and will make you think tactically e.g do I need to take a driver on 300yrd Par 4 that's got a field on one side and a tree bank on the other or just take an iron and play down the middle.

Woodlands - Very frustrating, seems like it should be a doddle but my god some holes you walk away wondering how you've managed to **** your round up

Golf is a very stressful game, you can have a round and count 12 pars on your scorecard and your left wondering how you managed to hit 20+ over par. 

The last time I played Thornbury I went round in +15, After the first 3 holes I was +8 and almost went home, wonderful game :grr:

I would only comment that golf is not an antidote for anything. If you reckon the footy causes you some bile, then be aware golf can rival it. Other than that, it keeps you out the house for a good few hours...:shifty:

On 16/07/2017 at 00:22, Leveller said:

I've resurrected this as I've NEVER played golf but have just retired.

I'm just east of Taunton. Does anybody have any advice on where and how to start around here?

I ended up buying a cheap but new set of Wilson Profile clubs with bag and started banging a few balls at the driving range.

Progressed to the Thornbury Par 3, which I really enjoy ( 12th is a cracking hole ), use it as a training exercise for 2nd shots on a big boys course so no tees. Gives me a good range of different distances. Had a couple of rounds at Woodlands which I enjoyed nothing to compare it to yet though! 

Would say if you haven't tried it yet, do, I love it and it's a good bit of exercise. 

9 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Is the 12th the drop hole? Once you get a bit more confident and fancy treating yourself try Castle Combe, it's not cheap but you can pick up deals. The 17th hole their is a brilliant drop hole. Stunning infact. manorhouse17th.jpg?width=860&height=568)

Yeh,great hole,followed by the climb to the 18th tee. Take a canister of oxygen with you.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:59, winterbournered said:

Cheers 

Just make sure you have a good set of bats.

Archived