IGNORED

Supports City and Rovers

Top Robin

I knew a few that would go to both but it was over 30 years ago, did go to East vile myself with mates, think it was against West Ham or Chelsea, I know a few who will go to Wembley with City or Rovers but they don't really follow either, just go for the day out, think it was fairly common many years ago.

10 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

My Dad used to go down the Rovers with his mates if City's away game was off or City weren't playing, and in boding so one time he met my Mum!

So Brian Tinnion used to watch the Gas if he didn't have a game for us?!

Just now, weepywall said:

I knew a few that would go to both but it was over 30 years ago, did go to East vile myself with mates, think it was against West Ham or Chelsea, I know a few who will go to Wembley with City or Rovers but they don't really follow either, just go for the day out, think it was fairly common many years ago.

I'm talking circa 45 years ago. Saw the Gas play West Ham and Southampton in the cup. Alan Ball was playing for Saints I recall.

I went to watch both teams for a short while in the mid 70s, my mate's old man used to take us to Eastville and the Gate. Can't remember if it was a few weeks or a few months, but after a while I started being 'unavailable'  for the Rovers games and only turned up for the City. 

I don't think the term 'no brainer' had been invented then, but the quality of the football, the stadium, the size of the crowds and the atmosphere were just worlds apart, and the choice was a pretty blindingly obvious one. 

Mind the gap*

*est. 1975.

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

In the 1950's and early sixties, I went to both wen I could. City because I supported them and Rovers just to see a game. Some notable one's at Eastville were Newcastle 1951 6th round replay. Everton in their only season out of the top tier since the war. And also Workington and Barrow in 3rd Division!

I always wanted the other team to win.

same here living in BARTON HILL ten minute walk to Eastville no radio Bristol those days pasties were good at the gas but main reason was i could find out how City were doing halftime

10 hours ago, BigTone said:

I'm talking circa 45 years ago. Saw the Gas play West Ham and Southampton in the cup. Alan Ball was playing for Saints I recall.

If Alan Ball was playing for Saints then are you not talking more like 35 years ago? 45 years ago he would have left Blackpool and been at Everton, possibly made the move to Arsenal.

3 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

If Alan Ball was playing for Saints then are you not talking more like 35 years ago? 45 years ago he would have left Blackpool and been at Everton, possibly made the move to Arsenal.

You are right it would have been early 80's I saw Saints playing there. Doesn't alter the fact that long before that we would do City one week and Rovers the next.

Just now, BigTone said:

You are right it would have been early 80's I saw Saints playing there. Doesn't alter the fact that long before that we would do City one week and Rovers the next.

He must have joined Rovers shortly after that match then? Seeing them in action incredibly didn't put him off!

Just now, sglosbcfc said:

He must have joined Rovers shortly after that match then? Seeing them in action incredibly didn't put him off!

Ha ha, not sure. What I do recall now is that I was living in Australia at the time and was back for a visit and a mate had bought the tickets.

The first live game I ever went to as a nipper was a Rovers game because my Dad took me as he and all of his side of the family are Gas.

Then luckily my Uncle caught wind of that and started taking me on a regular basis to watch the City as he and all of my Mum's side of the family are City.

The rest as they say is history. Of course there's some banter when I go to family events but it's all very light-hearted. For purely those reasons I can never honestly say that I hate the blue few down the road or would love to see them fail, but that's just my personal opinion.

For me as long as we stay above them in the football pyramid and beat them in the derbies i'll be happy. Thank God for my Uncle eh?

On 6/14/2017 at 08:44, BigTone said:

If it was the Paul Randall (2-0) FA Cup game, that would have been late 1970s.

At around the same time, Boxing Day or the day after, I watched Wolves win 5-1: I shall always remember the Wolves fans applauding ironically when Rovers scored - they were 5-0 up at the time.

Archived