IGNORED

Who is our most exciting prospect?

RedRoss

Who is our most exciting prospect?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So 10 people so far have voted for a striker who has never yet scored a goal above Conference South level when another of the candidates (who is a defender!) and is ex Juventus, scored this week against the Croatian national side.

Ok...

Graham, we know what Hordur is capable of, hence why I voted for McCoulsky. A prospect is someone who has the potential to succeed. Hordur will succeed, maybe not at this club, but definitely somewhere. McCoulsky is still an unknown quantity, Hordur is not. For some reason though he doesn't appear to have been in the managers plans (at least at the end of last season, who knows about next).

17 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

Whatever happened to Joe Morrell? Made his first team debut over two years ago but since disappeared.

Been on loan a few times this season to non-league clubs and a regular in the U23 signed a new one year deal so hopefully he can get a league 2 loan next season and see if he's ready.

19 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I went for Taylor Moore as I think he could have the most potential of anyone. He looked very classy at CB against Hull. Then I'd go Callum O'Dowda because I think he's got premier league attributes just needs to put it all together. I don't count players like Magnusson and Bryan even though they're on the list. They'd be in my starting XI so they don't excite my imagination as much. Brownhill I think that's who he will be for his career. Safe and will always do the right thing. Not sure he'll add much to his game 

Not persuaded by Taylor Moore myself, for a CB he looked terrible in the air in that Hull match.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not persuaded by Taylor Moore myself, for a CB he looked terrible in the air in that Hull match.

He's got loads of work to do but think that'll come as he physically matures. I think he could play for England at CB but that more because there doesn't seem to be too much young talent there or those that will be good enough aren't there yet. I've got high hopes for him anyway. 

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He's got loads of work to do but think that'll come as he physically matures. I think he could play for England at CB but that more because there doesn't seem to be too much young talent there or those that will be good enough aren't there yet. I've got high hopes for him anyway. 

He could go on to play for England, there again many who get raved about and capped at youth levels don't even make it as regulars in the Championship.

TM's completely unproven (a total of 9 games for Lens before we signed him) and although he's likeable and very enthusiastic I've seen nothing yet to suggest he's the great prospect others seem to feel he is.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He could go on to play for England, there again many who get raved about and capped at youth levels don't even make it as regulars in the Championship.

TM's completely unproven (a total of 9 games for Lens before we signed him) and although he's likeable and very enthusiastic I've seen nothing yet to suggest he's the great prospect others seem to feel he is.

He's very unproven but I think people see the athleticism but also football IQ. His positioning and comfort on the ball mixed with his athleticism at his size(looks a good 6'2 or 6'3). It's too early to say how he'll definitely turn out but I think he's got good attributes that you can't teach that make him our best prospect. It's my opinion though and I get not everyone will see it my way. The French seem to know how to produce centre halves at the moment and I think TM will be the beneficiary of that background. 

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He's very unproven but I think people see the athleticism but also football IQ. His positioning and comfort on the ball mixed with his athleticism at his size(looks a good 6'2 or 6'3). It's too early to say how he'll definitely turn out but I think he's got good attributes that you can't teach that make him our best prospect. It's my opinion though and I get not everyone will see it my way. The French seem to know how to produce centre halves at the moment and I think TM will be the beneficiary of that background. 

He's marginally over 6ft, Joe.

I can't help but feel his likeable personality and enthusiasm have got fans 'on his side' to the extent they're not looking at his performances critically enough.

You thought he looked 'classy' against Hull, I saw him as a weak link - which is not to say he didn't have some good moments -he did - but defensively he looked fairly weak and the Hull forwards had a field day against him in the air.

I know he's a young player and I'm sure he'll improve with age and experience, and he may well have a great career in front of him at a high level.

I really hope he does, but whatever the future holds he's being touted by some as a regular Championship starter for City next season, and I really can't see that.

As for our most exciting youngster, it's Josh Brownhill for me.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He's marginally over 6ft, Joe.

I can't help but feel his likeable personality and enthusiasm have got fans 'on his side' to the extent they're not looking at his performances critically enough.

You thought he looked 'classy' against Hull, I saw him as a weak link - which is not to say he didn't have some good moments -he did - but defensively he looked fairly weak and the Hull forwards had a field day against him in the air.

I know he's a young player and I'm sure he'll improve with age and experience, and he may well have a great career in front of him at a high level.

I really hope he does, but whatever the future holds he's being touted by some as a regular Championship starter for City next season, and I really can't see that.

As for our most exciting youngster, it's Josh Brownhill for me.

Ive seen him up close he is not barely 6 foot. He's got a stature about him as well like Nathan Baker. I sit quite close to the pitch and he's not a small guy. It's those classy moment I look for in a young player. Maybe that's where the disagreement comes in. I think he's too young and inexperienced(especially at the time) to have a complete game that you wanted to see. It was the raw ability moments that excites me the most. He had a few moments where he did things no other defender we own could do. So that's where I'm coming from. You say he looked a weak link and he could've been but at 19 with less than 15 senior appearances at the time against premier league opposition is it fair to ask him to be up to scratch with Flint? He would've been targeted as well. 

I dont know. We could keep going back and forth and I get where you're coming from. I'm glad we are in a position to have this question as it means we've got a bright future no matter who turns out the best. 

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Ive seen him up close he is not barely 6 foot. He's got a stature about him as well like Nathan Baker. I sit quite close to the pitch and he's not a small guy. It's those classy moment I look for in a young player. Maybe that's where the disagreement comes in. I think he's too young and inexperienced(especially at the time) to have a complete game that you wanted to see. It was the raw ability moments that excites me the most. He had a few moments where he did things no other defender we own could do. So that's where I'm coming from. You say he looked a weak link and he could've been but at 19 with less than 15 senior appearances at the time against premier league opposition is it fair to ask him to be up to scratch with Flint? He would've been targeted as well. 

I dont know. We could keep going back and forth and I get where you're coming from. I'm glad we are in a position to have this question as it means we've got a bright future no matter who turns out the best. 

I said marginally over 6ft - wiki has him down at 6ft and half an inch. I don't consider that to be small, he's bigger than me!

I suppose you can look classy, i.e. confidence on the ball, a good retrieving tackle, speed etc. and weak, i.e. missing tackles and getting beaten in the air, at the same time.

Some of his weaknesses could be put down to inexperience, and of course, he is likely to improve. You might be right in that you couldn't coach the more eye catching aspects of his play, they're natural.

Just how much he improves the basics, and whether it's enough to be a solid Championship player, or even beyond, we'll all have to wait and see.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end up as a CB though.

On 2017-6-13 at 19:16, Major Isewater said:

Hay ! 

Jonny still 19 and will more than likely go back out on loan, considering who is ahead of him, made great progress towards the end of last season and caused upsets against Watford and Crystal Palace plus others down the left after coming back injured from Cheltenham. Looking forward to his further progression as with some of the other lads who are knocking on the door. Lloyd was excellent, and I can see him maybe getting his chance.  Very composed on the ball and will make a top centre back, great skill and vision. All the lads have the right attitude and most already heavily into preseason workouts.

Some exciting Youth prospects knocking on the door which is a great position to be in but I reckon a lot will go on loan to further their development. 

:)

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

This vision might haunt you - I remember how good Caulker looked in the Championship and yet he failed to progress - I reckon he might have been a similar age to TM?

There are so many CB's getting PL experience, unless City do the unthinkable and go up or we actually play TM and then sell him; I would place that bet on an England cap now - the odds must be very attractive given his current run. I thought he struggled positionally when I saw him but we didn't get must chance to form a view. 

45 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

This vision might haunt you - I remember how good Caulker looked in the Championship and yet he failed to progress - I reckon he might have been a similar age to TM?

There are so many CB's getting PL experience, unless City do the unthinkable and go up or we actually play TM and then sell him; I would place that bet on an England cap now - the odds must be very attractive given his current run. I thought he struggled positionally when I saw him but we didn't get must chance to form a view. 

Not with you DT, it was Joe in post #38 who said he could see TM playing for England. I'm being much more cautious about his prospects in general, let alone getting full caps.

As for your bet, are you saying you think he will play for England, or that he won't?

I can't see that he will, although almost every English PL player seems to get a cap these days and I forget the England team from one game to the next there are so many changes, so I wouldn't rule it out.

But if you (or Joe) are saying TM will one day be a fixture in the England defence because he's thought of as one of the best CB's in the country, well I can't see that at all.

Mind you, if he really comes good and we're fending off Harry McGuire type bids in 2 years time I'll be more than happy if I'm proved wrong.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think one thing we can all agree on is that this group of young prospects is the most promising group of youngsters we have ever had.

The marker for that will always be the outstanding group who came through to form the promotion team of 75-76.

Are our present group of young prospects more promising than Gow, Merrick, Collier, Cashley, Whitehead, Rodgers, Mann, Ritchie and Cheesley?

Many of whom were only about Joe Bryan's age when City were promoted?

Do you think 9 of City's 'promising youngsters' of today are likely to go on and play in the top division?

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I see him going out on loan. I'm not sure if Johnson sees him as a left back, as he's been playing centre back a lot for the 23s, with pring at left back. 

You could could be right as the u23 games he's head and shoulders above . Top prospect. Love to see a young un force his way in . 

23 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The marker for that will always be the outstanding group who came through to form the promotion team of 75-76.

Are our present group of young prospects more promising than Gow, Merrick, Collier, Cashley, Whitehead, Rodgers, Mann, Ritchie and Cheesley?

Many of whom were only about Joe Bryan's age when City were promoted?

Do you think 9 of City's 'promising youngsters' of today are likely to go on and play in the top division?

Whilst i agree with you i think football has changed so much it would be an unfair comparison. 

13 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Whilst i agree with you i think football has changed so much it would be an unfair comparison. 

Well, you said our present crop of youngsters are the most exciting the club has ever had.

The group of the early 70's were clearly far superior.

You're right that football has changed - it was a real man's game in those days, unrecognisably more physical than today, yet mere youths like Merrick and Gow were holding their own at our present level at 17 years old.

Today we're still calling them young players, talking about their potential, and wondering if this is the season they'll really make their mark when they're 23.

Massive difference.

13 hours ago, bend it like brian said:

whats happened to george dowding ??

I think he was injured part of the year but don't think anything happened to him. He had a few lon spells to play men's football but think he was too young to uproot and go out for a long term loan. I think that could change this year but think he generally was impressive when he played in the u23s from memory of reading various match reports. 

16 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well, you said our present crop of youngsters are the most exciting the club has ever had.

You're right that football has changed - it was a real man's game in those days, unrecognisably more physical than today, yet mere youths like Merrick and Gow were holding their own at our present level at 17 years old.

Today we're still calling them young players, talking about their potential, and wondering if this is the season they'll really make their mark when they're 23.

Massive difference.

Admittedly i wasnt around in those days. But from what i have seen the players today are far more technically superior than back in those days. 

I would compare it to a prem side playing a non league side in terms of technique and physicality. 

On 17/06/2017 at 00:09, Nogbad the Bad said:

Massive difference.

Another difference between the era's is the influx of oversees players from the top level down, making the whole system more competive and difficult to break through.  

We haven't had a side punctuated with local boys since Danny Wilson's era some 15 years ago.  

Many second flight players would have been top flight 15 years ago.

I can't disagree though that any group of youngish players to lead City into the top flight has to go down as the best ever, regardless of era.

I obviously need to watch games more intently as many seem to like COD - I have seen nothing to suggest he will be anything but average and unlikely to make many more international squads.

Bit I truly hope I have seriously missed something!!

Archived