IGNORED

Pre-season trip to Tenerife - confirmed

Dollymarie

"Johnson said: “The facilities will be fantastic for the players and hopefully by then we’ll have one or two new faces on board. 

“With around two weeks to go until the start of the new season by then, it will give us the perfect opportunity to nail down the final pieces of the tactical jigsaw.” 

23 minutes ago, Super said:

Not playing any games?

Not scheduled to as yet which seems weird and disappointing.

No glamour pre-season games and now not even a chance of watching the lads play abroad - would be great experience with the europa league looming large :P

26 minutes ago, Neo said:

Not scheduled to as yet which seems weird and disappointing.

No glamour pre-season games and now not even a chance of watching the lads play abroad - would be great experience with the europa league looming large :P

A nice weeks holiday in the sun , friendlies with Torquay  , Yeovil and Cheltenham , my god we will primed and ready to go for it by the first day.

1 hour ago, Tammys Scan said:

"Johnson said: “The facilities will be fantastic for the players and hopefully by then we’ll have one or two new faces on board. 

“With around two weeks to go until the start of the new season by then, it will give us the perfect opportunity to nail down the final pieces of the tactical jigsaw.” 

Has anyone got a jigsaw that uses nails?

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Has anyone got a jigsaw that uses nails?

To be fair there is always one or two pieces you fit in no matter if they don't necessary fit - especially if they are a local lad and your Dads know each other - too much? :yawn:

Just now, Neo said:

To be fair there is always one or two pieces you fit in no matter what - especially if they are a local lad and your Dads no each other - too much? :yawn:

Ha - I had to read that a few times, but I got it!! Been a long day!

49 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

A nice weeks holiday in the sun , friendlies with Torquay  , Yeovil and Cheltenham , my god we will primed and ready to go for it by the first day.

48 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I appreciate the pre-season is all about fitness and bonding but the teams we are playing is concerning me. With all respect to Cheltenham and Yeovil, it's hardly gonna set us up for Derby, 'Boro and Sheffield Wenesday.

WORRIED already. :)

Portishead, Weston and Cheltenham had us pretty well prepared for the 2014/15 season.

20 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Portishead, Weston and Cheltenham had us pretty well prepared for the 2014/15 season.

Yes but when preparing for a season in a league with a clear gulf in class, surely the pre-season preparation should step up a level in terms of opponents?

It's a hiding to nothing - lots of wins and it is expected - lots of draws and defeats and everybody is flat.

At least a battling draw or narrow loss to the Newcastles, West Brom's etc of this world give you a stern test and no loss of confidence unless you are hammered - in fact a good draw or win might give the opposite optimistic effect surely?

2 hours ago, Tammys Scan said:

This?

tactical.png

Pre-season friendlies are just that, a local kick about. Geographically we are the biggest team in the region, so we do our community bit by visiting our smaller neighbours ( with one exception) I bet league teams all over the country are doing this. The Premiership teams tend to go off to Asia etc for tournaments these days, for a price of course. 

Im happy knowing pre-season is what it is. Not sure I'd want to pay over the odds for a second string visit of Stoke or similar anyway. Let's just get to the games that matter, the ones with 3 Championship points at stake. 

5 hours ago, Tammys Scan said:

As nobody else has picked up on your highlighted comments, if he thinks that with 2 weeks until the league starts that we will "hopefully" have 1 or 2 new faces to bed in, then don't expect much again this season.

We're at least 4 or 5 quality players short of being able to at least finish mid table. Anything less than that, and it's another year of fighting at the bottom.

It will be a tough ask getting somebody that is even half as good as Tammy. Then, imagine we lose our best defender and our play maker; Close season will altogether take on a level of greater importance trying not to go backwards with progress potentially ending up a dream unfulfilled.

6 hours ago, cynic said:

I would say that we are two, possibly three, short of competing at the top end.

Averaging roughly two points per game for the last ten games of last season would indicate we are not far off.

We scrapped survival by the skin of our teeth and that was with the best striker in this div; next season atm we have Djuric and Taylor both inexperienced in this div., and you say just 2 maybe 3 players will somehow push us to the top end ?

LJ says we may have 1 or 2 by the time we go on holiday, 2 weeks before the start of season; we will not be ready and will undoubtedly need more time to; gel, bond, believe, finish the jigsaw, get the blackboard out etc.

What SL needs to do is get the cheque book out and spend around 20mil on 4/5 players for us to have any impact next season at all.

10 hours ago, cynic said:

I would say that we are two, possibly three, short of competing at the top end.

Averaging roughly two points per game for the last ten games of last season would indicate we are not far off.

Fair comment, and end of season form is promising - however that included Tammy and Mark Little, who was beginning to look the part after his injuries. Both are gone, and will need replacing, especially as you would presume that Little was the best we had at that time for the right back slot, and everyone else isn't as good or is "inexperienced".

Left back needs looking at, as Goldbourne obviously has no future here, and I still don't see that Bryan is the answer there. You could argue that Maggs could do a job there, but I'm not sure that LJ sees him there. 

I like Pack and Smith, and if Smith is over his injury issues, then I think we'll be ok there, if there are doubts still on him, need an upgrade there.

Also as much as I like Fielding, he's in and out of the team so much it's hard to determine whether he's good enough, or the best of an ok bunch. You can't keep changing the keepers around, much like the defence, so maybe a quality replacement there as I'm not sure that LJ is convinced we have a solid keeper.

There's my 5, but do see why you would say maybe 3. A lot I think will depend on how they come back into pre season, with regards to fitness and injuries etc.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don't think you can read much into friendlies, either opponents or results.  It never seems to correlate with the start to the season.

Every year the same. Pre season friendly opposition means absolutely f all and every year without fail the same moans about who we play. 

Archived