IGNORED

London Tower Block Fire

WhistleHappy

God help the people trapped in that terrible fire and are so far unaccounted for...

Awful awfull scenes through the night of Grenfell Tower - literally a towering inferno, 24 storeys entirely engulfed in flames and smoke, unbelievable, can only say God help those families caught up in this tragedy... hoping for miracles now, but many must sadly be lost.

Fire raging still after first reports of fire at about 1am .. four and a half hours later... must be risk of collapse, just pray that doesn't happen... so many people desperate to know if friends and families are safe..

..... :pray: 

Recently refurbed,fire safety concerns raised at the time...passed by London brigade as 'safe'...

Advice to residents was that in the event of fire- 'if fire not in your own immediate area to stay in your flat and do not leave'...

Looks likely to be many lives lost.thoughts with all affected..

I honestly don't think this should be being reported, it could give ideas to the murderers, (if this wasn't them to start with) couple of gallons of petroleum spirit sloshed around the first floor of tower blocks, at one o'clock in the morning while hundreds of families are sleeping and you've got far more devastation then a bomb in a massive single storey building, or a van driven into a crowded area, hotels and apartments are at risk now in my opinion, they was easy targets to start with now it's being highlighted all over the internet and TV . 

5 minutes ago, Rascal said:

I honestly don't think this should be being reported, it could give ideas to the murderers, (if this wasn't them to start with) couple of gallons of petroleum spirit sloshed around the first floor of tower blocks, at one o'clock in the morning while hundreds of families are sleeping and you've got far more devastation then a bomb in a massive single storey building, or a van driven into a crowded area, hotels and apartments are at risk now in my opinion, they was easy targets to start with now it's being highlighted all over the internet and TV . 

Its a major news story obviously going to be all over tv and internet.

18 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Here we go, jumping to conclusions before any facts are known as to the cause.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Idiot.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

How on earth do you imagine that this isn't going to be reported?!!! Ok, just for one moment I'll go along with you and think a media blackout is possible by news organisations, but what about mobile phone footage and social media? Impossible. It would cause far too much harm not reporting it.

Sadly in the post few moments the London Fire Brugade have confirmed 'a number of deaths'. It was too much to hope that everyone had got out safe though wasn't it. Unofficial reports of a fridge 'exploding' on the 4th floor which people are taking to be the cause.

Just now, BigTone said:

Seems it may have been caused by gas.

Didn't you just complain about someone jumping to conclusions before the facts are known?

Not that I'm defending Rascal either, his was indeed a very foolish post.

Thoughts are with all involved.

Horrendous. My boss lives very very close to there (she has debris in her garden) and has friends she has not yet heard from who live in the block itself.

As others have said, it is premature to speculate on the cause but, if the reports are correct that the cladding recently added to the building was the reason it spread so quickly then serious questions must be asked.

This too makes for potentially damning reading:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/news/london/west/kensington-chelsea/residents-warned-grenfell-tower-was-a-fire-risk/

12 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Didn't you just complain about someone jumping to conclusions before the facts are known?

Not that I'm defending Rascal either, his was indeed a very foolish post.

Thoughts are with all involved.

I work with Camden Council and my colleagues say apparently there was work being done on the gas mains recently. Apparently Kensington Council have only just had the building refurbed.  Not jumping to conclusions but this is more likely the reason the fire took hold so fast. Indeed thoughts are with all concerned.

My point to Rascal is that it is wrong to jump to the conclusion that this has been caused by terrorists / murderers.  If you have read some of his previous posts in other threads you would understand where I am coming from.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I work with Camden Council and my colleagues say apparently there was work being done on the gas mains recently. Apparently Kensington Council have only just had the building refurbed.  Not jumping to conclusions but this is more likely the reason the fire took hold so fast. Indeed thoughts are with all concerned

One guy who escaped said that gas work was going on in the block but also he understood that a fridge on the fourth floor had "exploded".

No-one knows yet how it started.

Just now, Robbored said:

One guy who escaped said that gas work was going on in the block but also he understood that a fridge on the fourth floor had "exploded".

No-one knows yet how it started.

Agree 100%

3 minutes ago, Super said:

People who have been evacuated saying there were no fire alarms going off. Serious question to be asked.

Yeah - I saw someone else say you could only hear the fire alarm if you were in the corridor. I understand from my landlord that the law changed recently and all landlords have to install working fire alarms on every floor of a flat or house they are renting out so, as you say, serious questions.

2 hours ago, Rascal said:

You can't hide something like this - social media would have covered it if not.. To be honest 9/11 highlighted what you can get with highrise buildings too. 

FIres like this shouldn't be happening with the sort of building regulations we have and proper/correct fire alarm inspection & safety checks being made.  It's clear people were concerned about this many months ago -  https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/grenfell-tower-still-a-fire-risk/amp/

1 hour ago, RedM said:

How on earth do you imagine that this isn't going to be reported?!!! Ok, just for one moment I'll go along with you and think a media blackout is possible by news organisations, but what about mobile phone footage and social media? Impossible. It would cause far too much harm not reporting it.

Sadly in the post few moments the London Fire Brugade have confirmed 'a number of deaths'. It was too much to hope that everyone had got out safe though wasn't it. Unofficial reports of a fridge 'exploding' on the 4th floor which people are taking to be the cause.

Obviously it's going to be reported but dose it really need to be reported to the extent it's going to be, it's going to be reported days and days weeks and months article after article, they need to be trying everything they can not to be putting ideas into these nut cases heads,  Not highlighting weaknesses. 

I recently rented a flat in an old terrassed house in Kensington. The fire alarm went off and nobody reacted until about half an hour later .

I was concerned because for me on the third floor there wasn't a fire escape and I felt the building was a potential fire trap .

Everyone assumed that it was an error , which it turned out to be , but the point being that nobody really knew what to do .

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I'm also hearing that there was a problem with faulty electrical wiring a while back.  Again this does not mean it was the cause. Can't get my head around what those poor people went through last night. Truly a tragic incident.  6 confirmed dead so far.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Obviously it's going to be reported but dose it really need to be reported to the extent it's going to be, it's going to be reported days and days weeks and months article after article, they need to be trying everything they can not to be putting ideas into these nut cases heads,  Not highlighting weaknesses. 

Do you feel that is also the case with coverage of terrorist attacks? I'm not sure I agree with you here but I do think the wall-to-wall coverage we give of any terrorist attack in Britain or any other western country does potentially encourage others to create the same carnage themselves. Of course we need to cover terrorist attacks but I do think, with news in general, it is important to tell people what happened but news channels often cover major stories for far longer than the amount they require to say all they have to say about it and it does take on a voyeuristic quality. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Do you feel that is also the case with coverage of terrorist attacks? I'm not sure I agree with you here but I do think the wall-to-wall coverage we give of any terrorist attack in Britain or any other western country does potentially encourage others to create the same carnage themselves. Of course we need to cover terrorist attacks but I do think, with news in general, it is important to tell people what happened but news channels often cover major stories for far longer than the amount they require to say all they have to say about it and it does take on a voyeuristic quality. 

Yes I do pal, whats wrong with constantly showing and reporting good news instead? And keeping coverage of bad news to a minimum, Have you seen anything at all on the mainstream news channels about Jeff Stellings prostrate cancer walk which he's doing this week ? People doing good with Something that actually saves lives and they're not bothered about reporting.

too early to confirm what happened but one fact is it shouldn't of taken hold as fast as it did, especially in a building that size, I'm expecting some serious questions will be asked of the building management company and the local council, as well as cuts to the fire service 

I work across the road from the block. It's quite a built up area with several large office blocks, lots of houses, flats, schools. We were sent home. 

Those poor people, just lost everything, some unfortunately their lives.

Can't believe how quickly it went up. One guy just interviewed, said it could've been down the construction plus the new cladding, and another guy said their safety concerns had been ignored by the housing association/contractors/council. Too early to say.

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

I work across the road from the block. It's quite a built up area with several large office blocks, lots of houses, flats, schools. We were sent home. 

Those poor people, just lost everything, some unfortunately their lives.

Can't believe how quickly it went up. One guy just interviewed, said it could've been down the construction plus the new cladding, and another guy said their safety concerns had been ignored by the housing association/contractors/council. Too early to say.

Big can of worms I think Max but as you say too early to say.

Archived