IGNORED

London Tower Block Fire

WhistleHappy

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

One guy who escaped said that gas work was going on in the block but also he understood that a fridge on the fourth floor had "exploded".

No-one knows yet how it started.

I didn't think there was still gas in tower blocks after Ronan Point? A guy interviewed earlier this morning mentioned someone either trying to get gas put in (or taken out).

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I work across the road from the block. It's quite a built up area with several large office blocks, lots of houses, flats, schools. We were sent home. 

Those poor people, just lost everything, some unfortunately their lives.

Can't believe how quickly it went up. One guy just interviewed, said it could've been down the construction plus the new cladding, and another guy said their safety concerns had been ignored by the housing association/contractors/council. Too early to say.

Seems a few city fans have links to the area. I see a fantastic community effort has been underway since the early hours stockpiling food, nappies, blankets etc.

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

Seems a few city fans have links to the area. I see a fantastic community effort has been underway since the early hours stockpiling food, nappies, blankets etc.

Yes. I work at Monsoon/Accessorize. I hope they can donate some clothes for babies, children and women. (Nothing has been decided yet obviously as head office is closed). But I guess there will be lots of people (who just work in the area) that will step up and help out.

19 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Yes I do pal, whats wrong with constantly showing and reporting good news instead? And keeping coverage of bad news to a minimum, Have you seen anything at all on the mainstream news channels about Jeff Stellings prostrate cancer walk which he's doing this week ? People doing good with Something that actually saves lives and they're not bothered about reporting.

First and foremost my thoughts are with those involved.

I've heard a tip from the self-help movement that a way to well-being is to not watch the news.

There's something to do with human nature (and certainly the English character) that when things are going well or 'on par' nothing much is said.  When City are doing well the forum traffic drops right off, for example.  I would get no particular credit from my boss for having a good day at work, but just you wait until I turn up late, tell those in my care to **** off before exposing myself to the relatives of my patients.  I should imagine this would make 'news', so to speak.

There is absolutely no way that a tragedy of Biblical proportions will not dominate the news, it is naive and idealist to think otherwise.

I agree that wall-to-wall coverage of any news story is both unhelpful an unhealthy and I make a deliberate attempt to limit my exposure to the necessary degree.

As for the possibility of inspiring terrorists; from what I see they are not at all dependent on encouragement from infidels.

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Yes I do pal, whats wrong with constantly showing and reporting good news instead? And keeping coverage of bad news to a minimum, Have you seen anything at all on the mainstream news channels about Jeff Stellings prostrate cancer walk which he's doing this week ? People doing good with Something that actually saves lives and they're not bothered about reporting.

You're having a shocker i'm afraid buddy.

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Sounds like the local council and whoever is in charge of planning and maintenance for the building is going to be in some serious trouble. 

Manslaughter I expect.

24 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Sounds like the local council and whoever is in charge of planning and maintenance for the building is going to be in some serious trouble. 

Lots will be in trouble (Council, Contractor, Maintenance) including the Fire Brigade who would have signed off the Fire Safety Plan and carried out relevant checks.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Lots will be in trouble (Council, Contractor, Maintenance) including the Fire Brigade who would have signed off the Fire Safety Plan and carried out relevant checks.

The relevant parties have just come out and said all the safety and relevant checks were done and met all the regulations.

In the fullness of time someone's head will roll, maybe even several heads.

20 minutes ago, Super said:

Manslaughter I expect.

Especially when 60something% claimed they were being intimidated and threatened by the authorities and something like 95% signed an independent petition calling for a full investigation into the safety precautions or lack thereof.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The mayor of London's office?.

..and our Goverment who voted against a number of amendments to the Housing and Planning Bill passed last year.  72 of the tories who voted against the amendents owned residential properties they let...

30 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

..and our Goverment who voted against a number of amendments to the Housing and Planning Bill passed last year.  72 of the tories who voted against the amendents owned residential properties they let...

Well you may be correct but actually the Indy actually stated 72 MP's and not 72 tory MP's, I suspect the Indy would have mentioned if they were all tories.

Just now, 1953 said:

Today isn't the day, but if any shortcuts taken in refurb on account of austerity cuts, then fingers need to be pointed. There must be thousands of blocks just like this one all over the country.

There are. I know sometimes people don't get much choice, but there's no way on earth I'd be living near the top of something like that. You might as well take up residence in an unlit bonfire.

The company I work for are currently in the process of completely gutting a similar block in Croydon ahead of a full refurbishment, and the lads who've worked on it have said that some of the conditions have to be seen to be believed. 

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Just a matter of time before Politics came into this thread.

I don't think they can be disregarded really.  These sort of fires shouldn't be happening in this day with the regulations and technology we have.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The relevant parties have just come out and said all the safety and relevant checks were done and met all the regulations.

In the fullness of time someone's head will roll, maybe even several heads.

Several I think Robbo and rightly so

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The mayor of London's office?.

No I don't think so Es, as I understand it controls The City of London Corporation who apart from 2 developments in the square mile have several properties in other Boroughs, however I don't believe Grenfell House is one of them. This will be under the governance of Kensington & Chelsea Council. That is my belief but I'm not 100% sure.

38 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I don't think they can be disregarded really.  These sort of fires shouldn't be happening in this day with the regulations and technology we have.

agreed, we are england not india ffs, 

These things should not happen in a modern developed country, end of,

Was is the london fire service who signed of on the safety or one of the numerous contractors they have to use due to cuts?

8 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Listening to the on going reporting on R5, it seems that more and more experts are suggesting that the cladding might be an issue. If it was done on the cheap and not up to fire standards, then someone is in the shit.

Interesting that the cladding sub contractor went bust which could add fuel to the argument of them supplying a substandard product to try and make a few much needed quid. In saying that Rydon (the main contractor) should have been on top of this and would / should have approved the material spec to be installed.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Interesting that the cladding sub contractor went bust which could add fuel to the argument of them supplying a substandard product to try and make a few much needed quid. In saying that Rydon (the main contractor) should have been on top of this and would / should have approved the material spec to be installed.

Not heard that from the radio, bit IIRC you are a surveyor or similar.  This could get very messy and some people must now be getting rather nervous!

6 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not heard that from the radio, bit IIRC you are a surveyor or similar.  This could get very messy and some people must now be getting rather nervous!

I have my own Surveying practice and am in charge of several new developments being constructed by Camden Council. In saying that they also have several completed which we are working on compensation claims from the main contractors. Believe it or not with one of them we have identified more than 4000 defects !! Nothing as drastic as Grenfell Tower thank God but defects all the same.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I have my own Surveying practice and am in charge of several new developments being constructed by Camden Council. In saying that they also have several completed which we are working on compensation claims from the main contractors. Believe it or not with one of them we have identified more than 4000 defects !! Nothing as drastic as Grenfell Tower thank God but defects all the same.

I'd like to say I am surprised, but I assume most of this is caused by cost cutting, whether it be using inferior materials, cheap labour, lack of genuine time served tradesmen etc.  

Archived