IGNORED

London Tower Block Fire

WhistleHappy

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Interesting that the cladding sub contractor went bust which could add fuel to the argument of them supplying a substandard product to try and make a few much needed quid. In saying that Rydon (the main contractor) should have been on top of this and would / should have approved the material spec to be installed.

I just can't believe that the cladding wouldn't be fire retardant in this day and age but looking at the photos it does seem that way - a block like that doesn't into a complete inferno in under 5 minutes without something being very flammable. 

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Listening to the on going reporting on R5, it seems that more and more experts are suggesting that the cladding might be an issue. If it was done on the cheap and not up to fire standards, then someone is in the shit.

The inherrent design of that particular type of EWI it makes it act like a chimney because of the air gap between the insulation and the weather protection.

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I just can't believe that the cladding wouldn't be fire retardant in this day and age but looking at the photos it does seem that way - a block like that doesn't into a complete inferno in under 5 minutes without something being very flammable. 

You are spot on Tom

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I'd like to say I am surprised, but I assume most of this is caused by cost cutting, whether it be using inferior materials, cheap labour, lack of genuine time served tradesmen etc.  

A contractor effectively "buys" a job and then has to make the sums work. They screw their subcontractors over price and a problem starts to germinate. The problem is people in the councils do not always understand that the lowest price isn't always the best. 

8 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

The inherrent design of that particular type of EWI it makes it act like a chimney because of the air gap between the insulation and the weather protection.

Still shouldn't burn so easily

1 minute ago, northsomersetred said:

It shouldn't but get a piece of kingspan or celotex or similar and put a blow torch to it and see what happens, you'll be surprised. Aluminium burns and this was used as the weather proofing over the ewi

The problem is that the product should never have been approved in the first place as it was not fit for purpose. An Architect somewhere must be bricking it TBH.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The problem is that the product should never have been approved in the first place as it was not fit for purpose. An Architect somewhere must be bricking it TBH.

I'd be more worried if i was the risk manager for the liability insurance company for Beko UK.

I'll put good money on it this was started by a faulty appliance and it was a Beko appliance.

7 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

I'd be more worried if i was the risk manager for the liability insurance company for Beko UK.

I'll put good money on it this was started by a faulty appliance and it was a Beko appliance.

Maybe so but the building apparently has a history of faulty wiring and dangerous power surges. If that is the case why didn't a trip switch kick in ?

Seems to me like a combination of many issues.

Condolences to those who have lost friends, family, neighbours.

Respect to the Fire Brigade for their heroics (speak to a FB chap from East End, Hammers fan, every other Sat when taking my daughter to ballet).

Respect too to the local community all pulling together.

Some s**t that London has gone through in the last couple of weeks.

Heads will roll bigtime, sudden resignations and retirements - you see.

Some people have lots to answer for.

And the pictures don't look any better. Some floors still on fire.

Awful. Sad. Shocking. Preventable.

51 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I guess some rewriting of the regs regarding refurbishing tower blocks will keep someone employed for a wee while.

No amount of re-writing will fix this problem,

the route cause of all this is government cuts to local councils and emergency services 

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

A contractor effectively "buys" a job and then has to make the sums work. They screw their subcontractors over price and a problem starts to germinate. The problem is people in the councils do not always understand that the lowest price isn't always the best. 

Absolutely. And it's why a good QS is worth their weight in gold. I work in the finance department of a construction company and we've gone through several bad ones!

• Admin
7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

No amount of re-writing will fix this problem,

the route cause of all this is government cuts to local councils and emergency services 

Not saying I disagree about cuts to emergency services, but I doubt if there was double the amount of firefighters available, the outcome would have been any different.  That spread so quickly, it's a design or material issue, rather than a reactive problem.

12 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not saying I disagree about cuts to emergency services, but I doubt if there was double the amount of firefighters available, the outcome would have been any different.  That spread so quickly, it's a design or material issue, rather than a reactive problem.

The material used would be cheap shit because of cuts to council budgets and the pressure to do more with less,

considering this has happened before and the government said lesion were learned but suppressed the report 

this will happen again sadly and it doesn't surprise me 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

The material used would be cheap shit because of cuts to council budgets and the pressure to do more with less,

Exactly the same scenario in the NHS. 

Spoke to senior finance officers many times and the same response every time. "There's no money to do the work properly"

I could give numerous examples.

One of them said that the Trust were desperate not to be exploited by money grabbing builders......

51 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Exactly the same scenario in the NHS. 

Spoke to senior finance officers many times and the same response every time. "There's no money to do the work properly"

I could give numerous examples.

One of them said that the Trust were desperate not to be exploited by money grabbing builders......

It's the same on the railway and with the police, two industry's I know a lot about,

No more suvivers to be found. What really scares me is they won't even give an estimate to how many people are unaccounted for. Got a feeling its going to be a really horrific number.

Just now, Tomarse said:

No more suvivers to be found. What really scares me is they won't even give an estimate to how many people are unaccounted for. Got a feeling its going to be a really horrific number.

Sadly I think you are right Tom.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Sadly I think you are right Tom.

Pretty much confirmed - Met Police Commander Stuart Cundy said: "It would be wrong and incredibly distressing to give a number [of the missing]".

Archived