IGNORED

Southampton manager....

BS4 on Tour...

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....sacked.

8th place finish in Premier League and League Cup Final runners up.

What exactly does the Southampton FC board expect? That sounds like a fantastic season to me.....do they really demand more than that?!

Expect goals is what a Saints fan told me. Only scored in 1 of last 7 matches at home. 

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....sacked.

8th place finish in Premier League and League Cup Final runners up.

What exactly does the Southampton FC board expect? That sounds like a fantastic season to me.....do they really demand more than that?!

Personally I'm with you - unbelievable really. However playing devils advocate, didn't they sack Nigel Adkins and bring in Pochettino straight after Adkins got them promotion? Sometimes it takes bottle to push on, and not stick with managers for sentimental reasons.

6 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Personally I'm with you - unbelievable really. However playing devils advocate, didn't they sack Nigel Adkins and bring in Pochettino straight after Adkins got them promotion? Sometimes it takes bottle to push on, and not stick with managers for sentimental reasons.

No, Adkins wasn't sacked until January 2013 - so not 'straight after Adkins got them promotion' - they gave Nige nearly 6 months to give it a go....

Sadly it's becoming common place in England now, Watford have done similar & have done it for the last couple of seasons! It's hard to understand exactly what some clubs expect because it wasn't too long ago that both clubs were in The Championship and even lower in Southampton's case.

And the trouble is that clubs & fans then wonder why managers & players don't show any sign of loyalty to their clubs!!

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

A lot of it is about entertainment for Saints fans.  I agree with them. Why pay hundreds of pounds to watch defensive, dour football?  

Surely the board knew what they were getting with the (now ex) manager by watching him in his previous role @ Nice?

No win in last 8, 1 goal in last 6 or 7 games. Not helped by loss to injury of Charlie Austin, good stadium, good crop of youngsters, good youth setup.....opportunity for someone.

32 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Surely the board knew what they were getting with the (now ex) manager by watching him in his previous role @ Nice?

No win in last 8, 1 goal in last 6 or 7 games. Not helped by loss to injury of Charlie Austin, good stadium, good crop of youngsters, good youth setup.....opportunity for someone.

It won't be Lee Johnson, he'll be the next Arsenal manager. 

48 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Only if they can make a mediocre side top six overnight as apparently 8th best in the country isn't good enough. 

Madness. 

Not overly surprised with this. Finished lower than the previous season, won less games, scored 18 goals less and finished with 17 less points. Whilst it would have been difficult to improve on the season under Koeman, I'm sure their board didn't expect that level of regression.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Only if they can make a mediocre side top six overnight as apparently 8th best in the country isn't good enough. 

Madness. 

They finished 6th the season before under Koeman.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Madness. 

Exactly. Not sure what their expectations are but when they look at the teams above them, maybe with the exception of Everton (possibly), what do they expect? Delusional.

Lots of neutrals are focusing on the position in the league. Note that they only finished 6 points ahead of 17th. 

If you compare with previous few seasons it is a step in the wrong direction. 

Combine that with, so I hear from a few Saints mates, really dull football (no goal at home in 540 mins) then this decision doesn't come as a surprise to me. 

7 minutes ago, Reading Red UTC said:

Lots of neutrals are focusing on the position in the league. Note that they only finished 6 points ahead of 17th. 

If you compare with previous few seasons it is a step in the wrong direction. 

Combine that with, so I hear from a few Saints mates, really dull football (no goal at home in 540 mins) then this decision doesn't come as a surprise to me. 

Is this also not an indication of the Premier League being a mini league of 3? The top 6 or 7, then the 'middle' league, then the relegation fodder bottom 3 or 4. Saints finished top of that 'middle' league.

Conversely, any manager between 8th and 17th should be fearing for their job. Pulis be warned for a negative boring style....

Like i said, it's about expectations. And what do Saints fans really expect?

3 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Is this also not an indication of the Premier League being a mini league of 3? The top 6 or 7, then the 'middle' league, then the relegation fodder bottom 3 or 4. Saints finished top of that 'middle' league.

Conversely, any manager between 8th and 17th should be fearing for their job. Pulis be warned for a negative boring style....

Like i said, it's about expectations. And what do Saints fans really expect?

You raise very good points.

Saints are one of those teams in the "middle league" as you mentioned! These teams are quite aware that's it's unlikely that they'll win any silverware and, especially with saints, not be involved in a relegation battle. So entertainment factor becomes more important. The lack of that and as previously mentioned the decline in points tally have ultimately resulted in him losing his job! 

Good decision by the sound of it.

No club or set of fans should be content with negative, boring, low scoring football.

The people's game is about entertainment - or at least the endeavour of it - whichever division you're in.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Go get him Steve.

Interesting to hear on talksport this morning they said that Southampton are looking for a new manager who will "buy in" to their long term project.

Archived