IGNORED

Going to football on your tod...

Lordofthebling

Well that's it, life is over.

On and off season ticket holder for a good few years. Once upon a time there were ten of us who regularly went to the gate, then a few moved away and it turned to five, and finally the last of my mates has now just said he can't renew his ticket as they've just had a baby...

I can't not go to the gate. And I definitely don't wanna drag the mrs there!! Some thing's in life should not be shared...

Does anyone here go to the gate on their own? What's it like? Do you get funny looks? Do you get the 'ahhhh' face from others when drinking natch on your own on the wall in February? 

I go with mates but we don`t all sit together - fairly close by but not really in chatting distance without pissing off the folks in between. I`ve never had a problem with striking up conversations with those around me - are you going to be sitting near people you`ve always sat near or somewhere completely different?

As for the natch wall, I sit there on me own (eating a pasty, not chugging cider) and have never had any strange looks.

Presently, the rare visit for me is always in the company of family and/or friends. But when I traveled to matches from Manchester and from London, quite often I would be on my Jack. Never really bothered me, although I much prefer the present-day company, since getting hammered before the game is invariably more enjoyable than the turgid shit-shows I have sat through.

I've gone on my own both home and away quite regularly through the years. Not a problem at all and I actually quite like it, including the pre-match pint or two. Happens less frequently now both my kids are regular attenders with me, so on the occasions they don't come it's nice to have some peace and quiet.

I usually get to more away games than home games but tend to go on my own either way. I've lived outside of Bristol since I finished school and lost touch with most of my City supporting from then! Personally I do not mind it but sometimes get to non-city games in London with friends who hold season tickets for those teams can definitely see why it is better as a social activity.

That said, once the game kicks off I feel I am part of a massive group of people and get absorbed in the game...

I had a season ticket in the Atyeo for about 7 years, and went on my own. You get to know the regulars around you, and before long you end up having a chat, and a laugh and joke with them before during and after the games.

It also means that you can get there when you like, and leave as slowly or quickly as you like. 

I live in Essex now, so haven't had a season ticket since about 2009, but my wife's cousin has two, and when we are in Bristol and we're at home, I just let him know and go with him. 

I've got no preference whether I'm alone or with someone personally.

Going back to the Eastend of the 80's I went to a few night games on my own as my then boyfriend (now husband) was working shifts and it was go on my own or miss football, and I wouldn't do that. Thinking back I must have been mad!

Now I go with others but it wouldn't bother me at all to go alone, in fact it's easier these days as people  can just bury themselves in their phones and can be as socialable or not as they want. I wouldn't give anyone who goes alone a second glance, certainly not odd or sad at all, go for it @Lordofthebling

Since my daughter stopped going I always go on my own. I really do not mind it but the experience becomes more dependent on the people around you. There are some games which are lacking social interaction but there are others where you meet new people and have a good chat. At QPR this/last season three "loners" were sat together and we had a good old natter and banter.

I am quite happy to talk to most people but I have had occasions when in starting a conversation I have had some odd responses - am I the nutter on the bus (Jasper Carrot reference) :bonkers:

I go on my own but as a STH I have been sat next to the same people for 5-6 years. We moved together from the Atyeo a couple of years ago to the SS. I've got to know other people who sit around us too. People share sweets and biscuits and have a laugh, shout or cry. I also go to some away games on my own, which has been fine (haven't been on CATS on my own though!). I think there are several people who sit near me who come on their own, and they have renewed so it's not been bad at all. 

A chap last year was asking on here, about getting a ST on his own, as far as I know he enjoyed it and didn't regret getting one.

I almost always go on my own these days, I meet a few before and after sometimes but usually sit by myself, its fine most people will chat but if they don't it doesn't bother me, it was always better to be standing if on your own though.

I've been to a couple of home games on my own, when it's been night games and Joe was too young to come with me, but sat with supporters I've got to know over a few seasons, so that was fine.

Went to one of the 14/15 JPT games on my own too and sat in the Williams where I didn't know anyone.

Last season I got a ticket for the Away game at Villa and sat on my own...but travelled up with @lager loud who I didn't know until I got a lift from him and his mate.  Was a really pleasant journey up and back.

To the OP, you'll make new friends.

Went with my Dad for years. We both moved away from Bristol & usually went on

my own from London. Been going with my son for yrs and now he's off at uni so back to just me - although with Brighton qpr Wolves & brum  supporting mates been joined at a few matches this season. really don't mind either way. My only worry solo is keeping my spot in the Coopers pre-match if I go to the bar!

I do every permutation. Each is a different experience, enjoyment factor itends to be more related to the performance/result for me than whether you're in a group, couple or alone.

If you go alone and you're a semi-socialable sort, inevitably you'll end up striking a conversation acbout how crap LJ is! 

I shall be attending on my own next season for the first season since I was about 15.

Mrs. The Bad didn't enjoy last season and didn't want to renew. For her going to Ashton Gate has to be enjoyable. (Ridiculous notion, I know)

So having started going to AG on my own in the early 70's, meeting up with people from school and elsewhere to gradually form an ever expanding group of 15-20 in the East End ( including the future Mrs. The Bad on occasions) and then moving around the ground to eventually split away and spend 20 years in the family enclosure with my son ( now moved away from Bristol) and later his friends as well, I'll be going full circle and be alone again

I could go again with the remnants of my 70's/80's group who I still keep in contact with ( a few still go in the SS but together with people I don't know) but really can't be bothered and wouldn't give up the Dolman view anyway.

I'll be All By Myself.Tear jerker, isn't it. :crying:

P.S. I got some practice of 'going it alone' last season when Mrs. The Bad's interest waned halfway through the season (she started going again when the football, and the weather, picked up at the end) and it was 'alright'.

These days I usually go alone either by bus ( lots of City fans using public transport ) or I drive. I head for SC&T bar pre game where I know lots of people then to my seat where I sit with the same blokes.

The guys I used to go with have all gone their separate ways over years and I've lost touch with most of them.

Archived