IGNORED

Sailing

Mike Hunt-Hertz

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Anybody on here sail? 

I go kayaking/ canoeing and was thinking of taking up sailing too. My appetite has been whetted by watching Youtube footage of a lad sailing his outrigger canoe down from Lydney, out into the estuary/ Bristol Channel. Looks great fun.

I have a friend who sails and he says the best way to see if you like it before you commit is to stand in a cold shower tearing up twenty pound notes.

I used to do some stuff with Sailability in the city centre.

I started not knowing a thing about sailing, but was started in some ones they have that will not capsize. Once I was adept I would go with people who had disabilities, either teaching them or helping them to sail.

After a while the charity encouraged me to try some of the races that happen in town. The first one I did I went in one of the boats that were designed not to capsize, and was told with my handicap I would probably have got one of the higher finishes- I never got round to finding out my actual placing.

The second and final race I did, someone asked me to help man their boat. We were forced to retire from the race after capsizing on a straight (I still have no idea how). When we finally got back to the harbour the boat was about 1 foot underwater, with just the sails above. A less extreme, but reminiscent of the scene at the start of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl where (Captain)Jack Sparrow rides in, standing on the crows nest.

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I used to do some stuff with Sailability in the city centre.

I started not knowing a thing about sailing, but was started in some ones they have that will not capsize. Once I was adept I would go with people who had disabilities, either teaching them or helping them to sail.

After a while the charity encouraged me to try some of the races that happen in town. The first one I did I went in one of the boats that were designed not to capsize, and was told with my handicap I would probably have got one of the higher finishes- I never got round to finding out my actual placing.

The second and final race I did, someone asked me to help man their boat. We were forced to retire from the race after capsizing on a straight (I still have no idea how). When we finally got back to the harbour the boat was about 1 foot underwater, with just the sails above. A less extreme, but reminiscent of the scene at the start of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl where (Captain)Jack Sparrow rides in, standing on the crows nest.

Submarining for amateurs.

On 16/06/2017 at 16:26, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Anybody on here sail? 

I go kayaking/ canoeing and was thinking of taking up sailing too. My appetite has been whetted by watching Youtube footage of a lad sailing his outrigger canoe down from Lydney, out into the estuary/ Bristol Channel. Looks great fun.

Yes.

tfj

On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 16:26, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Anybody on here sail? 

Think Rod Stewart did a bit of sailing

Archived