IGNORED

Are we attractive with LJ in charge?

tinman85

Just now, tinman85 said:

According to a tweet from Alan Nixon we are struggling with our summer transfer targets..I can't help but think it is because of the poor season we had and LJ's record and status. 

I can't help thinking, if true, that it's because LJ is our Head Coach.

6 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

According to a tweet from Alan Nixon we are struggling with our summer transfer targets..I can't help but think it is because of the poor season we had and LJ's record and status. 

1 tweet from Alan Nixon and you're writing us off already!! Same old tinman85 just waiting for us to fail! 

Just now, Spoons said:

1 tweet from Alan Nixon and you're writing us off already!! Same old tinman85 just waiting for us to fail! 

...This seems a little harsh, he's just giving his opinion, and you think he wants our club to fail?

Anyway, I personally don't think it has a massive effect. I think there are some managers in the league that have an advantage in that area due to existing contacts (For example, Redknapp at Birmingham). But below that, I reckon it's a pretty even playing field. I think the facilities, ambitions of the club, wages offered, and on-pitch performances are equally important factors, personally. I think it depends on the individual player too. Some will be driven by money, some ambition, etc.

Just now, Distortia said:

...This seems a little harsh, he's just giving his opinion, and you think he wants our club to fail?

Anyway, I personally don't think it has a massive effect. I think there are some managers in the league that have an advantage in that area due to existing contacts (For example, Redknapp at Birmingham). But below that, I reckon it's a pretty even playing field. I think the facilities, ambitions of the club, wages offered, and on-pitch performances are equally important factors, personally. I think it depends on the individual player too. Some will be driven by money, some ambition, etc.

After reading his posts last season he would love is to fail just so he could say ' told you so' !

9 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/lee-johnson/

His record with us is a pretty decent one for the Championship, all things told. His points per game over 46 game would work out at 64.5 points. No half points, so 65. Good enough for 10th place in the season just gone.

Here is the list of stats for the managers in the Championship http://www.managerstats.co.uk/championship/ 

Johnson comes out fairly well

3 minutes ago, Spoons said:

After reading his posts last season he would love is to fail just so he could say ' told you so' !

Yeah cos I bother travelling from Essex each week because I want us to lose. Seriously have heard it all now. I am not an LJ fan and never was when he played for us. But I hope he proves me wrong. Simply making observation. I think we will struggle this season. 

Regardless of what Alan Nixon says, City are not an attractive Championship club. Two seasons of fighting to avoid relegation, preceded by a not very inspiring recent history. Money talks when it  comes to transfers, and this may work when no other club is chasing a City target, but if there's competition I can't imagine many players saying "Wow, Bristol City want to sign me! I've always wanted to play for them" (except, of course, if they sign and then  give an interview to the Post)

7 minutes ago, Distortia said:

Love what Harry is doing. For me would love to see those type of signings. 

20 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Yeah cos I bother travelling from Essex each week because I want us to lose. Seriously have heard it all now. I am not an LJ fan and never was when he played for us. But I hope he proves me wrong. Simply making observation. I think we will struggle this season. 

Is it just me that finds it totally strange when people say this? His playing career and whether you were a 'fan' of his or not is irrelevant when discussing his ability as a manager.

Alan Nixon isn't especially knowledgeable on us anyway. It seems he takes what everyone can see, and then makes an assertion that's 1) difficult to disprove and 2) suggests he has deeper knowledge.

In this instance, I reckon he's looked and seen that we've had no in-comings, so made an assertion that's impossible for anyone to disprove that we're 'finding it tough' or whatever he said today. He's far more reliable when talking about clubs in the North West I've found. His hit-rate for us last summer was pretty awful. He seems to scatter-gun his rumours and hope people forget the ones that are inaccurate.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Is it just me that finds it totally strange when people say this? His playing career and whether you were a 'fan' of his or not is irrelevant when discussing his ability as a manager.

Alan Nixon isn't especially knowledgeable on us anyway. It seems he takes what everyone can see, and then makes an assertion that's 1) difficult to disprove and 2) suggests he has deeper knowledge.

In this instance, I reckon he's looked and seen that we've had no in-comings, so made an assertion that's impossible for anyone to disprove that we're 'finding it tough' or whatever he said today. He's far more reliable when talking about clubs in the North West I've found. His hit-rate for us last summer was pretty awful. He seems to scatter-gun his rumours and hope people forget the ones that are inaccurate.

People use their dislike of LJ from his time as a player as a way to bolster their argument when in reality it detriments it. As for your last point Stockhausen said not to expect any news of signings until LJ returned from holiday in 2 days time. In something like this I'd trust what Stockhausen says over Nixon...

Well apparently Chelsea seem to be happy with us. And other premiership teams have apparently been offering there players. Maybe city are being more careful with there dealings this window. It's the first window we haven't been linked with multi million pound signings . And agents using us to get more money for there players . I know it's quite but me personally I don't mind that.

Think people need to take a deep breath.

Firstly it was clearly stated we want to operate with a smaller squad next season, yet the reality of the situation is only one of our own players (Mark Little) has left us so far.

According to the pinned squad on this forum we currently have about 23-25 potential first team players so anyone thinking (as I've seen on here) that we will be adding "another seven or more" is dreaming.

Next all this Championship manager stuff about us moving this player on or that player on.. Someone has got to want them first and we will not want to lose money on the deal in most cases.

We really are not a big hitter at this level (just below half way, actually) we are a harder sell than many geographically and overall with a couple of exceptions we are not top half of the table payers.

At the bear minimum if we added a right back and a striker we would have a decent squad numbers wise, though I'm not daft, most of our goals were scored by Tammy last season, so whether we bring in one or two forwards this summer he will be almost impossible to replace.

Whether the lack of recruitment is down to the fact LJ is our head coach, the uncertainty over our scouting set up of late or we are simply being outbid I have no idea, but a month from now is really the time to start to be concerned if no one has arrived in BS3 by then.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Firstly it was clearly stated we want to operate with a smaller squad next season, yet the reality of the situation is only one of our own players (Mark Little) has left us so far.

According to the pinned squad on this forum we currently have about 23-25 potential first team players so anyone thinking (as I've seen on here) that we will be adding "another seven or more" is dreaming.

Next all this Championship manager stuff about us moving this player on or that player on.. Someone has got to want them first and we will not want to lose money on the deal in most cases.

We really are not a big hitter at this level (just below half way, actually) we are a harder sell than many geographically and overall with a couple of exceptions we are not top half of the table payers.

At the bear minimum if we added a right back and a striker we would have a decent squad numbers wise, though I'm not daft, most of our goals were scored by Tammy last season, so whether we bring in one or two forwards this summer he will be almost impossible to replace.

Whether the lack of recruitment is down to the fact LJ is our head coach, the uncertainty over our scouting set up of late or we are simply being outbid I have no idea, but a month from now is really the time to start to be concerned if no one has arrived in BS3 by then.

We have 27 in the first team squad according to that page of the beta website.

But I expect at least 3-4 to go on loan

23 minutes ago, hodge said:

People use their dislike of LJ from his time as a player as a way to bolster their argument when in reality it detriments it. As for your last point Stockhausen said not to expect any news of signings until LJ returned from holiday in 2 days time. In something like this I'd trust what Stockhausen says over Nixon...

The disliking LJ as a player thing is flawed anyway, if they didn't think he should be playing then they should be angry with his father - not LJ! It's a really bizarre thing for people to mention their dislike for him (as a player) when they are criticising LJ (as a manager). When I read someone mention it as part of a criticism I just discredit the entire point as void, clearly the reasoning of the poster isn't very strong.

Just now, GrahamC said:

I agree 100% mate. It would be nice to have got a couple through the door but I`m certainly not panicking yet. unfortunately there are some that see any player going to another club as `City missing out yet again` or `City slow out of the blocks as usual` without any evidence to support the idea that we were ever or ever would be interested in that player. I`ve just posted that Joe Garner`s gone to Ipswich and I suspect one or more replies will be along those lines despite the fact that he`s been consistently crap at championship level.

There are others of course that just need their regular fix of `LJ is crap` and post something provocative just to get that response from others.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

I think it might be more to do with some of the bloody miserable fans we have! 

Archived