IGNORED

Are we attractive with LJ in charge?

tinman85

Some may not want to hear it, but LJ is a big turn off for players. He is well known now as "not having a clue" and that is one of the kinder comments. So SL , who is still indulging in his fantasy football, will pay through the nose to get anyone of note to the club. Of course there are a good number that want to leave too. He has signed 20 plus players and will need another 3 windows to sign another 20. We are not an attractive option for players. 

2 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Some may not want to hear it, but LJ is a big turn off for players. He is well known now as "not having a clue" and that is one of the kinder comments. So SL , who is still indulging in his fantasy football, will pay through the nose to get anyone of note to the club. Of course there are a good number that want to leave too. He has signed 20 plus players and will need another 3 windows to sign another 20. We are not an attractive option for players. 

I'm sure LJ was a big negative factor in Tammy's decision to join us.

On 17/06/2017 at 12:59, tinman85 said:

Just my opinion that his sideways passing didn't really take us anywhere. Losing Marv in that final cost us big time. Anyway I doubt we will get to another one so there you go. My view is we are not attractive to players in the market because of the manager. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. 

It took us to a play off final you idiot in fact it was lack of him that cost us automatic promotion 

11 minutes ago, kivsy said:

He joined us to get game time, not because of Johnson 

"It was at that house in Surrey where Abraham’s loan move was sealed. City’s head coach, Lee Johnson, encouraged by a meeting with the Chelsea technical director, Michael Emenalo, travelled to Epsom to convince Abraham’s mother, Marian, and father, Anthony, of his vision for their son.

“It was a relationship we built in pre-season,” says Abraham, who joined City the day before their Championship campaign began. “The manager came to my house, saw my family and I got to meet him then as well. That’s when he earned my family’s trust and my trust really. He told me about the stadium, the players, who I would get on with and it was from there I knew it was Bristol City where I wanted to be.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/16/tammy-abraham-chelsea-loan-bristol-city

You were saying?

1 hour ago, Psychopomp said:

Of course some may think this of him but I can't see it being 100% fact. Just another pile of s**t being spouted by a nobody. Again coming to Bristol city comes down to a few things. Wages and opportunity. Then small things like manager, stadium and location come into it. If anything we've recruited well just to not develop players as much as we could. 

Nixon is ITK in his region, and will only have a view on us if a player from up north is mooted as being our target.  Outside of that he knows little to nowt about us.

I'm not worried at all at the mo' by lack of signings.

Some signings take a while, some require a domino (or spider web :facepalm:) effect to get going.

Johnson has said he wants to work with a smaller squad.

We don't need to sell, but I suspect one or two will be on their way, once it becomes apparent that their squad status is not what they want it to be.  I think Golbourne is one of those.  Others, who will interest bigger clubs, whether you agree on how good they are or not, might start our own domino, e.g. Flint, Bryan, Tomlin.

When are the players due back in training....another week?

Euro u21s still in progress, that might delay possible loan deals.

what I'm trying to say, is that it is very early in the season.....no panic....yet!

There is MASSIVE pressure on LJ in relation to signing a goal scorer.

Credit to him (yes!) for Tammy last season.

Tammy was the difference between us being in League 1 next season and being a Championship club.

Can he do it again?

He has to.

tfj

5 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

100%

On 2017-6-17 at 04:19, tinman85 said:

Yeah cos I bother travelling from Essex each week because I want us to lose. Seriously have heard it all now. I am not an LJ fan and never was when he played for us. But I hope he proves me wrong. Simply making observation. I think we will struggle this season. 

Sadly I fear you may be right on this, although I would dearly love to be proved wrong. Have I missed any announcements on Wilber ir hasn't there been any as yet ?

12 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

LJ did fail...so did the club...club went backwards...though some say it was an improvement on the previous season - what a joke.

It was a woeful season. We spent close to £20M and finished 3 points above relegation whilst also breaking a club record losing streak! 

11 hours ago, john from high littleton said:

Got a good feeling about this season. Looking forward to proving some of the miserable sods on here wrong! COYR

Not really sure where this good feeling is coming from.

17 hours ago, hodge said:

"It was at that house in Surrey where Abraham’s loan move was sealed. City’s head coach, Lee Johnson, encouraged by a meeting with the Chelsea technical director, Michael Emenalo, travelled to Epsom to convince Abraham’s mother, Marian, and father, Anthony, of his vision for their son.

“It was a relationship we built in pre-season,” says Abraham, who joined City the day before their Championship campaign began. “The manager came to my house, saw my family and I got to meet him then as well. That’s when he earned my family’s trust and my trust really. He told me about the stadium, the players, who I would get on with and it was from there I knew it was Bristol City where I wanted to be.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/16/tammy-abraham-chelsea-loan-bristol-city

You were saying?

I wonder whether Tammy thinks the same after a season flirting with relegation?

Tammy scored many goals and we avoid relegation. As I understands it Tammy like City. LJ  in charge? Think its ok, he is young, not long ago he was still playing. Think its more attraktive with a young manager vs an old. Wages, ambitions, new stadium, teammates is things that is more important than the manager I think. Sure LJ can speak for the Club and himself when he meet different targets of players. We will see what players are coming in. Think two, maybe 3.

18 hours ago, hodge said:

You were saying?

IMO that just goes to prove my long held suspicions about LJ: he talks the talk....

I'm not LJ's biggest fan, although I supported him initially, but ultimately it all comes down to who we can bring in instead.

I'm happy to give LJ 10 games, and until January to show that he's got what it takes at this level, but my main concern is who we get in. I've said countless times that it's the hiring process that is broken, not the man itself. LJ is the latest in a long line of Yes Men that follow the clubs "five pillars" ethos, and until the club realise that their financial prudence is damaging the club then we'll just replace one LJ with another.

LJ has potential, but I'd hate to see him hounded out of Bristol City without really putting his stamp on the club. If he needs players, say publicly that he needs players. If the academy output is shit, say it publicly. Cotterill is one of few managers to leave Bristol City with his reputation intact, because he did what he thought was best.

22 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

Interesting that KITR has not liked this post but gone on to give it 100% approval.

Kid and I have had numerous disagreements on the forum on matters of opinion over the years but I've come to accept that he usually knows what he's talking about on matters such as this.

It's extremely worrying - if not overly surprising - if the above is true.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting that KITR has not liked this post but gone on to give it 100% approval.

Kid and I have had numerous disagreements on the forum on matters of opinion over the years but I've come to accept that he usually knows what he's talking about on matters such as this.

It's extremely worrying - if not overly surprising - if the above is true.

Nogbad the Bad (and somewhat disingenuous ;) ?).

Come on Nogbad, you have not exactly hidden your underwhelming support for LJ, c.f. SC, but surely you do not need to hide behind KITR's post to support your theory - which may even be correct - that LJ is not up for the job.

4 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I'm not LJ's biggest fan, although I supported him initially, but ultimately it all comes down to who we can bring in instead.

I'm happy to give LJ 10 games, and until January to show that he's got what it takes at this level, but my main concern is who we get in. I've said countless times that it's the hiring process that is broken, not the man itself. LJ is the latest in a long line of Yes Men that follow the clubs "five pillars" ethos, and until the club realise that their financial prudence is damaging the club then we'll just replace one LJ with another.

LJ has potential, but I'd hate to see him hounded out of Bristol City without really putting his stamp on the club. If he needs players, say publicly that he needs players. If the academy output is shit, say it publicly. Cotterill is one of few managers to leave Bristol City with his reputation intact, because he did what he thought was best.

I agree with most of this but I wish people would show me where Lee Johnson has shown potential and who gave him the title young and TALENTED he just knows the right people.If anything dopey Darrell has shown us what a young and talented manager is

37 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Nogbad the Bad (and somewhat disingenuous ;) ?).

Come on Nogbad, you have not exactly hidden your underwhelming support for LJ, c.f. SC, but surely you do not need to hide behind KITR's post to support your theory - which may even be correct - that LJ is not up for the job.

Hiding behind Kid's post? Really no idea what you're on about Phil - as I said Kid and I have disagreed strongly on many things.

The post Kid supported went some way to firming up some of my own feelings and misgivings about LJ which I had hoped were in at least part fanciful.

I am now that much more convinced that they're not. 

Archived