IGNORED

Marina and Steve L honoured in Queens birthday honours

Dollymarie

I'm sorry if this is controversial (and I do appreciate and admire Steve and Marina for what they put in).

But....

My BBC news alert concentrated on the posthumous honour for the copper who was killed at Westminster. Followed by two gents who fought against a maniac in Tunisia. Followed by Ed Sheeran.

Dont get me wrong, I love the new AG that Steve has provided. I admire Marinas undying commitment. But seeing them two and Ed sodding Sheeran among real heroes just doesn't seem right.

Just my twopenneth...

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I'm sorry if this is controversial (and I do appreciate and admire Steve and Marina for what they put in).

But....

My BBC news alert concentrated on the posthumous honour for the copper who was killed at Westminster. Followed by two gents who fought against a maniac in Tunisia. Followed by Ed Sheeran.

Dont get me wrong, I love the new AG that Steve has provided. I admire Marinas undying commitment. But seeing them two and Ed sodding Sheeran among real heroes just doesn't seem right.

Just my twopenneth...

But isn't that just life?

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But....

Just my twopenneth...

What's Tonys two pence, Sil?

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But....

Just my twopenneth...

It's well deserved for Steve that's a fact, the wealth and employment he and Hargreaves alone created for this country deserves it,

lansdown will be a sir be for he goes to the great cider bar in the sky that's for sure 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

But....

Just my twopenneth...

I'm pleased for them all. Well, except Ed Sheeran.

I hope I am not being pedantic when I say your post contradicts itself? Surely, if you scrap honours for people "just doing their job" then aren't our emergency services  "just doing their job"?

On the subject of the awards here though, SL and HRH Marina, then my twopenneth is a) Steve should have received one earlier than his ex partner and b) Putting aside Marina's contribution to the football club, hers should say "for being the nicest person you will ever meet"....

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

But....

Just my twopenneth...

Not sure I understand the point. Not everyone who contributes to society is a terrorist fighter. 

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Time they did away with this outdated "honours" system just for people doing their jobs, if anyone deserves any sort of medal it's our emergency services 

Couldn't agree more Harry-i see people every day with a clear view of absolute selflessness..these are the true backbone.

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

But....

Just my twopenneth...

Surely that's why you get different ranks of honour?

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Time they did away with this outdated "honours" system just for people doing their jobs, if anyone deserves any sort of medal it's our emergency services 

Aren't they also doing their jobs? That's not to detract from the fantastic work they've done recently, but it is their job and what they train for. 

The whole system stinks and should be abolished.  What makes someone like Billy Connolly deserving of a knighthood?  What does the often repeated 'for services to charity' mean?  Usually rich people who go to dinners and add their name to causes, not the people who donate their hard-earned money.  It's a system that creates a hierarchy in which some people, usually through wealth and privilege, are deemed to be better than others.

By all means reward bravery, but the handing out of titles to the privileged and to political cronies sickens me.

just my pennyworth, you understand...

So if the last few weeks have shown us anything it's that our public services are grossly underfunded. Meanwhile Steve Lansdown gets a CBE for what? Services to tax dodging? I appreciate his company has made more tax revenue for the UK than I could ever dream of but that doesn't mean he should deserve the wangle himself a tax break. He has more money than most of us could dream of and if he paid his taxes he'd still have more money than most of us could dream of. He'd hardly suffer would he? 

Some may say it is 'harsh' or 'not illegal' but we have nurses queuing a food banks to feed their families...I think SL should pay up.

16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The whole system stinks and should be abolished.  What makes someone like Billy Connolly deserving of a knighthood?  What does the often repeated 'for services to charity' mean?  Usually rich people who go to dinners and add their name to causes, not the people who donate their hard-earned money.  It's a system that creates a hierarchy in which some people, usually through wealth and privilege, are deemed to be better than others.

By all means reward bravery, but the handing out of titles to the privileged and to political cronies sickens me.

just my pennyworth, you understand...

Well said sir....

The sycophantism here is already making me queesy..

7 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So if the last few weeks have shown us anything it's that our public services are grossly underfunded. Meanwhile Steve Lansdown gets a CBE for what? Services to tax dodging? I appreciate his company has made more tax revenue for the UK than I could ever dream of but that doesn't mean he should deserve the wangle himself a tax break. He has more money than most of us could dream of and if he paid his taxes he'd still have more money than most of us could dream of. He'd hardly suffer would he? 

Some may say it is 'harsh' or 'not illegal' but we have nurses queuing a food banks to feed their families...I think SL should pay up.

Be fair.

His company is still UK registered and subject to taxation, and he pays the correct tax for the part of the world he lives in.

11 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

You have a very low understanding of Hargreaves and landsown if you think all they do is ' tax dodging'!

Regarding SL ' tax break' , it's not a break it's permanent. That mean he's not allowed to use any of the services that we use through our tax payments. Also he's only allowed to enter the UK 224 days a year due to him living in Guernsey .

Living in Guernsey is obviously attractive as a tax haven but also it's a lovely part of the world where he can go about his business unnoticed like he would in the uk.

He fully deserves his cbe.

No problem with 'gongs' for people who are the best in their profession, top charity fund raisers, undertaken heroic deeds. On that basis, have no problem with SL, indeed, richly deserved and somewhat belated.  However, think he should have been made a 'sir' based on his achievements.

Those who get them for political undertakings just tarnish and devalue honours for them to become almost meaningless. The guy who mis-managed the EU campaign gets a knighthood from his mate Cameroon. Just appalling and he should've said no, mindful of the impact on those who earned their well-deserved honour. A shameless scumbag.

...and just to balance things out politically, didn't Howard Wilson give a gong to his housekeeper .... for doing housekeeping? Just a joke and brings the whole system into disrepute. 

Archived