IGNORED

100 grand a week!!!

pillred

10 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

Just how that good ol' honest as the day is long, cheeky cockney chappy 'Arry likes it. All aboard the Redknapp bankruptcy train crash, next stop Birmingham.

How many clubs does he have to bankrupt before they learn not to do this sort of thing?

28 minutes ago, pillred said:

I see that Birmingham city have reputedly offered john terry nearly a hundred grand a week, and we worry about financial fair play, how the hell can they get away with that! 

yes they are supposedly skint makes me laugh all these teams Bournmouth Cardiff forest skint one  minute blowing thousands the next

34 minutes ago, pillred said:

I see that Birmingham city have reputedly offered john terry nearly a hundred grand a week, and we worry about financial fair play, how the hell can they get away with that! 

What makes it worse is that he probably won't accept it because it's not enough. 

The sooner he buggers off to China to play the sooner he can be forgotten about. Worth £100k a week, he is not.

26 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

Just how that good ol' honest as the day is long, cheeky cockney chappy 'Arry likes it. All aboard the Redknapp bankruptcy train crash, next stop Birmingham.

Seems to me that the bankruptcy train may be stopping at a lot more stations soon unless someone does something about this madness.  Football is in the grip of a kind of self-delusional hyper-inflation, and it will only take one of the major funders of this madness to pull the plug and there is the very real risk that the whole ridiculous structure could come tumbling down.  The game is in the grip of super-rich megalomaniacs, many of whom don't give a stuff about the future of the sport.  How the ordinary football fan can feel that the current transfer activity, and the single-minded pursuit of success at any cost. is good for the game absolutely baffles me (but then how a substantial part of the working people of this country can give their precious votes to a party who are blatantly promoting the interests of themselves and their super-rich friends at the expense of 95% of the population also baffles me, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by anything any more).

21 minutes ago, hodge said:

Wouldn't be Harry if he didn't try to bankrupt whatever club he was at...

That's a bit unfair @hodge. I think Harry's dog is the real power behind the throne. It JT's agent turns up with a box of doggy treats, then Birminham could be shelling out £150k + per week.

32 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Seems to me that the bankruptcy train may be stopping at a lot more stations soon unless someone does something about this madness.  Football is in the grip of a kind of self-delusional hyper-inflation, and it will only take one of the major funders of this madness to pull the plug and there is the very real risk that the whole ridiculous structure could come tumbling down.  The game is in the grip of super-rich megalomaniacs, many of whom don't give a stuff about the future of the sport.  How the ordinary football fan can feel that the current transfer activity, and the single-minded pursuit of success at any cost. is good for the game absolutely baffles me (but then how a substantial part of the working people of this country can give their precious votes to a party who are blatantly promoting the interests of themselves and their super-rich friends at the expense of 95% of the population also baffles me, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by anything any more).

Absolutely right DP.

Unfortunately there is a generation that has grown up, and is growing up, knowing nothing but the profligate spending of the premier league era and think it is the norm.

Those of us who are boring old farts remember when a million pound player was someone pretty exceptional and a £1,000 a week salary put a player at the top of the tree, both in terms of ability and earning power. Now it seems  £20 million is pretty run of the mill, and £10 m will become more common in the championship n and every Tom, Dick and Harry in the prem is on £100,000 per week ( and there are more than a few Dick's earning that sort of money).

The powers that be put financial rules in place to try and avoid a repeat of what happened at Pompey and credit SL for protecting the club's future, by instilling sound financial governance , even though he is decried by many fans for so doing not spending more. However, decent responsible owners like Steve seem to be trampled on in the rush of the "super rich megalomaniac owners" as you describe them, who couldn't give a stuff about financial rules, or the long term consequences to the club of their ambition. 

As with so many issues, the governing bodies do not have the balls to take proper action against clubs who flout the financial rules. As I understand it QPR breached the financial rules when they were last promoted to the prem, but no action could then be taken because once they had become a premier league club, the FA could not sanction them for breaching football league financial rules! Evene better, again as I understand it, when QPR were relegated , and could then be penalised it seemed to be kicked into the long grass and at best the penalty watered down . If someone knows better exactly what happened, then please say.

Watching the players on the pitch is still the great game that I grew up loving. Off the pitch the game is completely removed from the ordinary working man's sport it was when I was young. Some of that is for the better, with stadiums and fans facilities light years from the shambolic old grounds of the 70s, even though nostalgia makes us yearn for standing on smoky terraces and wading through urine for a half time pee. The financial aspect and especially the cost the average fan now has to bear is definitely not for the better and the player picking up his eye watering salary, could not give a flying fig for the fan who is subsidising his lifestyle.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You're bang on, its not the super rich owners its the bloody TV deals, every time I see the price of a new one I think that's my sky going up then, and BT because its no longer just the one supplier, the only reason we have it is because my wife is a gooner and you cant get tickets to see them with any ease.  But if it keeps going up there is going to be some push back at some point from the consumers its a fair old wack per month more than the cost of my BB.  People will just say no and the whole deck of cards will come tumbling down.

11 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

You're bang on, its not the super rich owners its the bloody TV deals, every time I see the price of a new one I think that's my sky going up then, and BT because its no longer just the one supplier, the only reason we have it is because my wife is a gooner and you cant get tickets to see them with any ease.  But if it keeps going up there is going to be some push back at some point from the consumers its a fair old wack per month more than the cost of my BB.  People will just say no and the whole deck of cards will come tumbling down.

The other thing about the mega TV deals is that no sooner is Scudamore's signature dry on the latest contract, than every player and/or his agent are arranging meetings so that the player can take his share of the increased tv money.

As a result, only a fraction of the new tv money goes back into the game ( for the benefit of fans, grass roots or investment by the clubs) because the lion's share of new tv money is going straight out of the game and into the bank accounts pf players and their agents.

No one begrudges top player learning good money, or indeed very good money. However, what we now have is ordinary players earning ridiculously good money, decent players earning a king's ransom and very good players earning obscene money. I've no especial love for Arsenal, but when their fans have to fork out £60+ for each home game only to see Ozil demand the best part of £300,000 per week, then there is something seriously cock eyed about the way the game's finances are heading.

13 hours ago, simon uk said:

How many clubs does he have to bankrupt before they learn not to do this sort of thing?

A few bold claims from yourself and @JustinCider  and @man in the middle and @hodge.....

So, which clubs has Harry 'bankrupt' as manager?

Bournemouth - he won the third division title for them with 97 points and knocked Man U out of the FA Cup as Bournemouth boss - didn't leave them bankrupt

West Ham - took them to a fifth placed finish in the Premier League - developed and gave debuts to Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick, Glen Johnson, Jermain Defoe, Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand etc....bought Paolo Di Canio - didn't leave them bankrupt

Portsmouth - won the division one title with them to take them into the Premier League, kept them up the next season...resigned when a director of football was appointed above him - didnt leave them bankrupt

Southampton - unsuccessful spell, he resigned when Sir Clive Woodward was appointed to the club's coaching staff as he didn't think he could work with him - didn't leave them bankrupt

Portsmouth (again) - took them to a 9th placed finish in the Premier League, won the FA Cup for Pompey, was awarded 'The Freedom of Portsmouth' - didn't leave them bankrupt 

Spurs - managed them to two fourth placed finishes in the Premier League, took them into the Champions League. Won 'Premier League Manager of the Year' - didn't leave them bankrupt

QPR - they were relegated from the Premier League under him in 2013 but he got them promoted straight back to the Premier League the next season. Left when he claimed his health meant he couldn't give 100% to the job - didn't leave them bankrupt

So, where is this trail of bankrupt clubs left in Harry's wake?! 

Archived