IGNORED

Fire Safety at Football

Mr Popodopolous

Now let me start this thread by saying while the title is frightening I think we are pretty bloody safe in this country in 2017 at football.

E.g.

1. No smoking at football.

2. Concrete stands, not wooden ones.

3. Plastic seats as opposed to wooden ones.

4. Rubbish does not accumulate years on end, most notably at Bradford 1985.

5. No flares, pyros and so forth allowed.

Sure there are a few more I have missed as well. Are there any that I am missing in a big way? Both positive steps and risk wise.

Could be a thread for "Stadium Matters" I guess, Mods can put it in the forum they deem best.

Isn't a subject I wanted to bring up but in the wake of the tragic events in London this week it made me wonder of course. About the risks, safety and so on.

30 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Hmmm, not sure on the flares/pyro's bit...we're guilty when it comes to sneaking those buggers in!

Some idiot let one off under the wooden stand at Exeter in their game v Carlisle last season resulting in it having to be evacuated. It only took about ten minutes to clear IIRC and the club were praised for having a plan that worked in a real situation and not just in a drill.

5 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

My seat in block e29 (dolman) row 36 took 15 minutes just to get to the concourse at the end of the game .I can't see how this is safe if there was a fire

You'd be safer in your seat than in the concourse, if there was a fire. 

Also, there wasn't a fire and if there was, I'm sure people would move quicker. 

50 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

My seat in block e29 (dolman) row 36 took 15 minutes just to get to the concourse at the end of the game .I can't see how this is safe if there was a fire

You would not go into the concourses.  The whole stand would empty onto the pitch in minutes.

20 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

You would not go into the concourses.  The whole stand would empty onto the pitch in minutes.

That was the point I was going to make. @Mtimmy11 you sit just behind me so I know full well it's a slow stand to empty, but it does have handrails which I think help make people feel safer moving quickly if there was an incident.

12 hours ago, RedM said:

That was the point I was going to make. @Mtimmy11 you sit just behind me so I know full well it's a slow stand to empty, but it does have handrails which I think help make people feel safer moving quickly if there was an incident.

The reason the stands are slow to empty is because people stop to watch, clap, boo, players, managers and other fans, put a bit of fear into them and they would clear almost as fast as a two thirds off, end of season white plastic chair sale in north Bristol

21 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

If there was a fire you'd evacuate onto the pitch

I think Ashton Gate is much safer today that in the past.  

Since they stopped caging in football supporters after the events at Hillsborough I have always said that in any serious incident fire or otherwise there is only one way I am going and that is on the pitch no matter what the stewards think.  You can access the situation better there and decide which way to exit.

33 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

If there was a fire you'd evacuate onto the pitch

The Club would then be obliged to ban you for life.

This does seem harsh, but the pitch did cost one hell of a lot of money, and should be protected.

This is why the pitch has a sprinkler system and the stands don't.

Quite wrong, in my opinion.

tfj

22 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Most of the Dolman would have left before a fire anyway

22 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Fans would also be allowed to evacuate onto the pitch in an emergency thus the time to vacant the stand would be lower

Archived