IGNORED

Video Assistant Referees

Gillies Downs Leeds

First impressions after watching Portugal V Mexico this afternoon is what a waste of time. The referee went up to the VAR after Portugal's 2nd goal but nobody had any idea why. This went on for about a minute and then Mexico were invited to kick off. This minute by the way was not then added on at the end. Only 3 extra minutes were added and as there were 6 substitutions in the 2nd half this made up the 3 mins. To make the lack of added time worse, Mexico equalised in the added on time but the ref blew up bang on the 3 minute mark. The VAR system is only going to take yet more time out of the game meaning the paying public are getting less value for money than ever.

Hate it. 

Goal line technology is fantastic, it's pretty much instant. VAR takes too long, nobody has a clue what's going on. I did notice that when Mexico equalised, it looked like one of the Portuguese players signalling to the ref to look at it, guess he was hoping they'd find something wrong happening in the box. Could imagine you'd get players asking for it all to the time. 

Well that's a joke, linesman never flagged for offside, defenders never appealed for offside & it certainly doesn't look offside but the VAR give it as offside although you can see on the screens in the stadium that it wasn't offside!!

It's going to become an absolute joke, not only do we have to put up with refs wanting to be centre of attention but the VAR officials are going to try & get in on it!!

The decision that the benefit of the doubt goes to the striker has gone, this is going to cause so many problems in the future, pointless having linesman now, in my opinion.

JOKE!!

23 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Well that's a joke, linesman never flagged for offside, defenders never appealed for offside & it certainly doesn't look offside but the VAR give it as offside although you can see on the screens in the stadium that it wasn't offside!!

It's going to become an absolute joke, not only do we have to put up with refs wanting to be centre of attention but the VAR officials are going to try & get in on it!!

The decision that the benefit of the doubt goes to the striker has gone, this is going to cause so many problems in the future, pointless having linesman now, in my opinion.

JOKE!!

Completely in agreement with this. It is supposed to remove all doubt etc, the first time I saw it used was last week in the U20 World Cup Final on the penalty, they decided it was a pen both commentators disagreed with the decision. So it doesn't really work, people will always have a difference of opinion on what is and what's not a penalty, offside, foul etc. Which makes it pretty pointless IMO. 

A Luddite I may be, but I hate technology in football. Imperfection, human error and controversy is what keeps football the most watched sport in the world. Unlike sanitised so called sports like Wimp  Ball (otherwise known as American football) everyone has an opinion on the incidents in the match they've just seen. As far as I am concerned you can ditch goal line technology, and for good measure get rid of that silly little board, the technical area and the fourth official too. Clough, Shankly, Busby etc never needed them. 

11 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

It will take time to get right but rugby and cricket have made a good job of it's use so I do not see football can not adapt for the better of the game

I don't watch cricket so I can't comment but it's use in rugby is very different to football. In rugby often there is a heap of bodies on top of the ball being put down in the case of a try, very difficult to see even with numerous replays. The player has to be in control of the ball when it is placed. Goals in football are usually much more clear cut than that aren't they, so I doubt it would be used that often. It doesn't take long but as people say goal line technology will sort out where a goal has been scored or not. I'm not sure how far video riffing will go? Will diving, cheating, holding, fouling,red/yellow cards be reviewed instantly? Would take forever to play a match and the decisions might not be clear anyway. 

Cut out the cheats instead, if we are going to take anything from rugby let it be a sin bin, and keep the game flowing. Rugby is a lot more stop /start anyway so as I said visually they have a need and the video ref works for them. 

The use of technology in Cricket and in Rugby have no relevance to Football. If people are going to use another sports analogy then Tennis is the right one to use. In both Football and Tennis the lines are in i.e. the ball is still in play if it is on the line. the whole of the ball needs to be over the line for it to be called out or a goal scored.

In Cricket and Rugby, technology is only ever used when play has ceased. In Cricket the lines belong to the umpire. The bowler has delivered a no ball if no part of his foot is behind the line; a batsman can be given out if he only makes the line of batting crease, he must ground his bat beyond it; and a boundary is scored if the ball hits the line. In Rugby, the ball is deemed out of play if it hits the sideline or the dead ball line; and a try is scored if the ball is grounded with controlled downward pressure on the line.

How about adopting a similar rule that they have in hockey. Where each team captain has a couple of referrals to the VR. Get it wrong you lose one. 

Also as they do in rugby ask very specific questions about they are looking for. Which is also done in hockey as well

16 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

JOKE!!

Are you joking about it being onside? He was clearly off. It has some creases that need ironing out but I think it'll iradicate human error which is obviously a good thing. 

Tinfoil hat time. FIFA were never big fans of video replay, so the approach they'd take would be poor. The use of it in the Portugal/Mexico game was piss poor, and no one knew what was going on. The fact that the players were still arguing over the video footage was a bit pathetic as well. All in all, it was a disaster.

With that being said, the overlay footage used by the broadcaster would've been fantastic. There was a clear line indicating the offside, and this was probably generated before the VAR video was.

With some basic rules, VAR could be great:

• A decision must be available within 5-10 seconds of the incident.
  • The video must be displayed on the main stadium screen. Failing that, a signal let's say 2 blows on the whistle) should indicate the VAR is in use.
  • Dissent during this time is a guaranteed yellow.

• Admin

Didn't see the game mentioned from yesterday, but did see the Argentina Vs England U20 World cup match, where the VAR was used to look back at an incident the officials missed in the build up to an attack - on reviewing the VAR the referee correctly sent off an Argentinian for elbowing an English player

I guess like anything it will take time to get it correct

7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Are you joking about it being onside? He was clearly off. It has some creases that need ironing out but I think it'll iradicate human error which is obviously a good thing. 

To the naked eye it was on, not one defender appealed for offside, the linesman didn't give it & no one in the crowd was calling for it, it is going to take away the natural flow of the game.

What about the penalty that wasn't given? To the naked eye it didn't look like a penalty but upon replay there was contact from the defender on the attacker, so why wasn't that reviewed & a penalty awarded? Who's decision is it down to?

A few years back a decision was made that in regards to offsides, if there was any doubt the advantage would go to the attacker, in the hope of allowing more free flowing attacking football & more goals, I take it that this is no more?

From now on every goal is going to need reviewing to rule out any foul & any offside so the need for linesmen is no more. How far back do you review a situation? When does a referee stop play to ask for a review? Because you can guarantee that one game will be stopped to review a certain incident during the middle of a situation & stop another situation happening. What happens if a referee blows to review an incident (stopping play) to then find that an offence hasn't occurred? How do you restart the game?

And this situation is seemingly only going to come into affect at big competitions, so what about a similar situation happening in The Championship? Nothing will change there as they clearly won't put 4 people in a van or room at every game so what makes one game more worthy of it than another?

Players & clubs will want every decision reviewed & clubs will complain that if they had the VAR at their game they would of won, it needs more than just a few things ironing out.

Goal line technology is quick & easy & it's simple enough that every league ground can install it & use it week in & week out, not just in the big competitions & there is no need to hold the game up unless technology fails, if technology fails on this VAR, the whole system is ruined & as I said, not every league game is going to have extra officials in a van or room to make the decisions or have all of the necessary cameras & technology available to them.

This is taking away the natural free flow of the game & to me that is a bad thing!!

Trouble with VAR's in football is not that it ruins the game.  It's the people who govern football.  They are either corrupt or incompetent or both.  The fact that they made the conversations between the ref and the VAR private is the problem and will cause problems in time.  It should be audible to anyone watching on TV and hence the benches.  Refs also need to literally walk about 20 yards away from the players. Once referred, any player going anywhere near the ref should be booked unless they're the captain.  It's time they all grew up..  As long as the ref and the VAR speak the same language it shouldn't be a problem....

Just seen the ref today is from USA with VAR panel from Columbia and Uzbekistan.  Perfectly set up for smooth communication...

Archived