IGNORED

Car advice

Ska Junkie

Just now, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I bet you have one of those light blue three wheelers, that we used to see on the touchline at matches in the 70s..

Don't confuse having an older car, with being badly paid, you grotty oik.

How to know I don't have a Bentley .............. you spawney-eyed wazzuck??

tfj

Just now, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Because you are an obvious care-in-the-community......you take the Round Table taxi.

Since when has it been OK to savage recipients of care-in-the-community?

If I tell Jeremy Corbyn what you have been up to he's going to rip you a second **** hole.

tfj

On 6/24/2017 at 18:43, Captain Hindsight said:

Not surprised. Some of the Qashquai's can be well loaded with extras. Plenty to go wrong and unfortunately, there are many which have expensive issues which owners can't afford.

Goes to say that if you're going to purchase a car, make sure you've done some homework cus' if it goes wrong, can you afford to maintain it?!

Working in the trade myself, I spent some time doing some work in a Nissan dealer and literally every vehicle in the workshop was a Qashquai during the whole time I was there. Asked a couple techs about them and they said they're riddled with issues.

Not trying to scare owners/potential owners, but it may be of use to share the info :thumbsup:

If you know someone who works in the trade, especially those in franchised dealers, see what intel you can get. 

A lot of people in particular would say good things about Hyundai's; coming from those working at Hyundai dealers.

That's my experience with our Qashqai having owned it for 8 months. Letter of formal complaint will be winging it's way to Nissan shortly. We took out an additional warranty so luckily all repairs don't cost extra but the number of faults and time spent at the garage has been a joke. Not impressed.

Bloke from a local garage sourcing my next car and has recommended an Audi A3 apparently best build quality in its class

On 23/06/2017 at 09:31, Robbored said:

No doubt you'll remember the Hillman Imp.

A pal of mine had one and loved it. I had lifts in it and went like a rocket. It was a flimsy build and pretty light so even with a small cc engine it was pretty quick.

Id imagine a restored Imp would be worth a bit these days,

The Imp was too light in the front and prone to flipping up .

The brains at Rootes combatted this by putting concrete in the boot ( front part / rear engined ) 

My Dad had one in green.

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 23:02, BanburyRed said:

Anything in the VAG range,

Good luck!

Good luck indeed, .... anything in the VAG range should give you a decent enough ride.

Running costs are high though and depreciation can be astronomical, think twice before chucking it in for a new model though.  Check out the cost of divorce nowadays and you'll see what I mean. :) 

19 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I bet you have one of those light blue three wheelers, that we used to see on the touchline at matches in the 70s..

Don't confuse having an older car, with being badly paid, you grotty oik.

Iv got a Citroen Berlingo.  No one likes it I don't care.

So what did you go for @Ska Junkie?

Im a big believer in 3 year old ex lease cats from auction. I had a top spec Mazda 6 which did me brilliantly for a few years. Was going to get another but saw that a Jag XF sportbrake would only cost 2k more, so went with it. One year on, seems to be doing pretty well. 

Dont rule out auction!

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

So what did you go for @Ska Junkie?

Im a big believer in 3 year old ex lease cats from auction. I had a top spec Mazda 6 which did me brilliantly for a few years. Was going to get another but saw that a Jag XF sportbrake would only cost 2k more, so went with it. One year on, seems to be doing pretty well. 

Dont rule out auction!

Haven't bought anything yet Fordy as we are on holiday soon so we're waiting until we get back. Still very open minded but had one of these on trial for a few days and was extremely impressed. Even the Mrs quite liked it which was a surprise as it wasn't on the original list. I'll see what's available when we get back and go from there but the VAG advice was very useful TBH. I promise I'll put up what we purchase once we do. 

Out of interest, where's the nearest ex lease auction to Bristol? It could be another option.

Image result for octavia VRS

14 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Haven't bought anything yet Fordy as we are on holiday soon so we're waiting until we get back. Still very open minded but had one of these on trial for a few days and was extremely impressed. Even the Mrs quite liked it which was a surprise as it wasn't on the original list. I'll see what's available when we get back and go from there but the VAG advice was very useful TBH. I promise I'll put up what we purchase once we do. 

Out of interest, where's the nearest ex lease auction to Bristol? It could be another option.

Go on , you can say it ... Skoda .

Fantastic value for money , good looks and excellent build quality.

Will hold it's value as well as the brand identity is getting increasingly strong .

I changed a Volkswagen for a Skoda as the dealer made me a ridiculous offer .

On 03/07/2017 at 21:12, Ska Junkie said:

Just .......... don't.

:disapointed2se:

tfj

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Why not?

Are we talking Skoda?

They are good cars today, but the image is still not right, especially for anything even slightly smokey.

You'll have more cred with a Focus ST than with a bloody Skoda, on a budget.

DON'T DO IT.

:nono:

tfj

Just now, Taxi for Johnson said:

The why, FFS, did you not just say that in the first place??

:punish:

tfj

Because I will probably end up with an SUV so wanted peoples opinions on them as I've never owned one. 

Sorry if you think I've wasted your time. 

Because I will probably end up with an SUV so wanted peoples opinions on them as I've never owned one. 

Sorry if you think I've wasted your time. 

You have wasted my time, but because you are a City fan, and I am bound to love you, you are forgiven, and I will continue to assist you.

Now.

Tell me your spec - and don't piss me about.

:bruce_h4h:

tfj

3 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

You have wasted my time, but because you are a City fan, and I am bound to love you, you are forgiven, and I will continue to assist you.

Now.

Tell me your spec - and don't piss me about.

:bruce_h4h:

tfj

Reasonable amount of space, decent performance (not necessarily high performance), preferably petrol, reasonable specification and hopefully reliable. Finally, I would like something that won't suffer too badly from depreciation.

As I've got to the point where my eldest, of 2, child is learning to drive, I won't have to ferry him around but still need the space to carry 4 / 5 at times.

That's about it.

An SUV makes sense reading that but so does something like a mondeo TBH. As an ex company car driver, I asked for opinions. 

The Kuga is still favourite but the petrol version rather than the 2.0tdi.

Reasonable amount of space, decent performance (not necessarily high performance), preferably petrol, reasonable specification and hopefully reliable. Finally, I would like something that won't suffer too badly from depreciation.

As I've got to the point where my eldest, of 2, child is learning to drive, I won't have to ferry him around but still need the space to carry 4 / 5 at times.

That's about it.

(Sigh).

1) Reasonable amount of space - I assume 4/5 door - are you happy to use the back seats folded down or do you need a 'big' (Diane Abbott) boot?

2) What do you mean? 0-60 sub 8 seconds, for example??

3) Budget still 15K??

tfj

1 minute ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

(Sigh).

1) Reasonable amount of space - I assume 4/5 door - are you happy to use the back seats folded down or do you need a 'big' (Diane Abbott) boot?

2) What do you mean? 0-60 sub 8 seconds, for example??

3) Budget still 15K??

tfj

I told you I didn't know much about buying cars in my defence. Robots, yes, cars, no! 

1. Yes, no problem.

2. Not bothered. A car's only fast if you've got a heavy right foot.

3. Yes.

Archived