IGNORED

Car advice

Ska Junkie

Just about to change my car after years with a company motor. I bought a stop gap (2010 pug 407sw) but now want something better but haven't really got a clue about buying cars.
The Mrs wants an SUV and we don't really need a big car anymore as my eldest is starting lessons himself soon.
Thinking about the following:
Kia Sportage
Ford Kuga
Kia Optima sport
Vauxhall Mokka X
Hyundai Tucson
Suzuki Vitara

Has anyone got an opinions or advice? Looking at something around a year old / ~£15K.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Just about to change my car after years with a company motor. I bought a stop gap (2010 pug 407sw) but now want something better but haven't really got a clue about buying cars.
The Mrs wants an SUV and we don't really need a big car anymore as my eldest is starting lessons himself soon.
Kia Sportage
Ford Kuga
Kia Optima sport
Vauxhall Mokka X
Hyundai Tucson
Suzuki Vitara

Has anyone got an opinions or advice? Looking at something around a year old / ~£15K.

Always kick the tyres  . That way any car salesman will know that you're someone who knows his way around used cars .

:yes:

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Kia Sportage
Ford Kuga
Kia Optima sport
Vauxhall Mokka X
Hyundai Tucson
Suzuki Vitara

:whistle:

Don't buy the Vauxhall or the Suzuki. In fact don't buy the Kia either.

That leaves us with the Kia Sportage, the Ford Kuga, and the Hyundai Tucson.

Personally, I would also kick the Ford into touch.

So, the Kia and the Hyundai .........

:yawn:

Here is my advice:-

Fire up Autotrader and go and test drive examples of both cars, in the spec you want. Double check your budget, the warranty they will give, etc, and then buy the one you like best.

Good luck.

tfj

6 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

Fire up Autotrader and go and test drive examples of both cars, in the spec you want. Double check your budget, the warranty they will give, etc, and then buy the one you like best.

Good luck.

tfj

Any reason for disliking the ford TfJ? I've driven pretty much all of them and, even though it's expensive, it holds its value and was a nice drive TBH.

The Nissan Quasqai was nice too as was the Kia to be fair.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Any reason for disliking the ford TfJ? I've driven pretty much all of them and, even though it's expensive, it holds its value and was a nice drive TBH.

Too girly; it's a Ford; depreciation, and the dealers are probably w*******s.

You mention the Nissan, and that has won numerous car of the year awards. Trouble is it only comes with smallish oil burners.

I'd come with you to seal the deal, but it's too ******** hot.

tfj

Having by-passed a mid-life crisis requiring me to buy a sports car, and being someone utterly disinterested in cars generally, I recently bought a Kia Sorento (the big brother of the Sportage) and it has proved to be a great car. A friend has the Sportage: I think he is on his 2nd or 3rd one.

47 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Having by-passed a mid-life crisis requiring me to buy a sports car, and being someone utterly disinterested in cars generally, I recently bought a Kia Sorento (the big brother of the Sportage) and it has proved to be a great car. A friend has the Sportage: I think he is on his 2nd or 3rd one.

Or buy the estate the SUV is based on - cheaper, better handling, and easier on the fuel.

:dunno:

tfj

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Kia Sportage
Ford Kuga
Kia Optima sport
Vauxhall Mokka X
Hyundai Tucson
Suzuki Vitara

BMW X3 or an Audi Q5.

For 16k you could probably pick up a 2010 3.6 V8 range rover.

Great deals to be had on 5 series BMW and E class Mercedes-Benz.

You could always lease. You can lease a Hyundai Tucson for around £200 a month 

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Purchased an 18 month old Qashqai at the end of last year from Wessex Garages down at Cribbs.  Car looks lovely with nice alloys and privacy glass to rear windows. 

Bit we've had no end of problems with it sadly. It's been back to the dealer several times and is going back again tomorrow to fix air con. Broke down on ******* Christmas Day! 

Can't recommend it on that basis. But sense we have probably been unlucky as it's  a hugely popular and well rated car.

My family have had several Ford's and they've all been great. So reliable and love the drive. Kuga would be a good shout I reckon.

I'm finally getting rid of my Astra Sri end of the year. Looking at a used 5 door family car. BMW 1 series/Audi A3/Mazda 3 type....any recommendations appreciated.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Purchased an 18 month old Qashqai at the end of last year from Wessex Garages down at Cribbs.  Car looks lovely with nice alloys and privacy glass to rear windows. 

Bit we've had no end of problems with it sadly. It's been back to the dealer several times and is going back again tomorrow to fix air con. Broke down on ******* Christmas Day! 

Can't recommend it on that basis. But sense we have probably been unlucky as it's  a hugely popular and well rated car.

My family have had several Ford's and they've all been great. So reliable and love the drive. Kuga would be a good shout I reckon.

I'm finally getting rid of my Astra Sri end of the year. Looking at a used 5 door family car. BMW 1 series/Audi A3/Mazda 3 type....any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks KITR.

If you're looking for a smaller car with good performance, my last company car was a Volvo v40 type R. A bit cheaper than an Audi and I thought it was a superb car.  BMW always bother me with the rear wheel drive thing during the winter as I know a few people who have stuffed their Beemers in icy conditions.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Kia Sportage
Ford Kuga
Kia Optima sport
Vauxhall Mokka X
Hyundai Tucson
Suzuki Vitara

my mate bought a new kia sportage lovely motor with a ridiculous warranty attached to it i think he said 7 years...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Most reliable car I have owned ( and I have had a few, to be Python-esque) is a Honda CRV.  I'd highly recommend one.

You wait until you get to around 100k. Engine management system packs up. Honda may now sort it straight away. Being one of the first to encounter the problem it was an absolute nightmare and the dealer (bought and serviced by them) didn't want to know. Lethal fault, would be in outside lane on mway and go into limp mode. Appalling, from an otherwise decent vehicle.

Slightly better than a Freelander though. Had 32 months of trouble free motoring from new and then electrics just were constantly going wrong. From that point on, returned home more times on the back of a low loader than under its own steam.

The VW Tiguan (last model) is a decent car - save the emissions cheat. Pano sunroof to die for. Economical around 48-50mpg. Comfortable and well built. My partner's had 3 on the trot now so some recommendation there, I'm on my first -  though soon to be changed. The new model looks naff - so the Volvo XC60 is lined up if I can get a decent deal on the soon to be replaced model. 

So, my recommendation Tiguan, Mazda is a decent shout or an older version of the XC60.

5 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

Good luck.

tfj

So in your first sentence Mr Taxi, after stating 'don't buy Vauxhall or Suzuki', you go on to say 'in fact don't buy the Kia either'!!

But then go on to advise that it's between the KIA or the Hyundai because you've also 'kicked the Ford into touch'!!

So, to buy a KIA or not on your recommendation?  :whistle:

• Admin
53 minutes ago, bend it like brian said:

my mate bought a new kia sportage lovely motor with a ridiculous warranty attached to it i think he said 7 years...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

53 plate CRV, only ever had to replace one thing on it, a front brake calliper that was sticking, so happy days, it owes me nothing.

14 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

So in your first sentence Mr Taxi, after stating 'don't buy Vauxhall or Suzuki', you go on to say 'in fact don't buy the Kia either'!!

But then go on to advise that it's between the KIA or the Hyundai because you've also 'kicked the Ford into touch'!!

So, to buy a KIA or not on your recommendation?  :whistle:

I drove a Kia for about 4000 miles in three weeks in the States and whilst the engine never missed a beat various parts of the interior dropped off which was a little concerting .

Including the rear view mirror and the cover for the grab handle above the passenger door .

Skoda are fantastic value and come with Volkswagen build quality and running gear .

Are you buying a new or second hand car?

I always consider buying a new car but always end up with a few year old Audi, the money you spend on a new car can get you a seriously better quality of car a few years older.

The Germans know how to make a car.

21 minutes ago, yardy said:

Are you buying a new or second hand car?

I always consider buying a new car but always end up with a few year old Audi, the money you spend on a new car can get you a seriously better quality of car a few years older.

The Germans know how to make a car.

Something about a year to 2 years old Yardy. That's the plan anyway.

I'll be honest, if the Q3 /5 was a bit cheaper, I would definitely be going for one of them, a superb car.

The VW is definitely worth looking at as I expected them to be a bit too dear.

Kia for build quality and the ridiculous 7yr warranty, and they've just started to get cool with design, taken them awhile but started now taking on some european ideas to go with the oriental. A good mix.

Someone mentioned a Freelander? No chance. Far too unreliable, quality too hit n miss, electrics a complete disaster when they go wrong.

Qashqai is a damn good SUV, let down by crap engine sizes, think biggest is 1.5TD, otherwise bulletproof (generally), they don't make too many 'Friday afternoon' cars...

Otherwise you'll never go wrong with something German (having taken an E30 BMW 320i from 116k to 250k+ miles, an Audi A4 1.8 from 27k to 185k+ miles and an E46 BMW 330i from 72k to 250k+ miles..), you look after 'em, they look after you. Now on a Mk6 Golf 5dr 2.0 TDi GT....brilliant car. No real standout features (apart from the 6cyl engine in the E46...what a gem!), what they do they do brilliantly. A consistent 8 out of 10 in football ratings.

Anything in the VAG range, Audi (A3, A5 is fantastic), VW (Golf, Tiguan..), Skoda (cheaper to buy, still some stigma attached but VW parts hence greater quality..).

Always go for something you can afford then think secondhand (never new..), yr old or so, service history (do some research on simple things like servicing costs, tyres, exhausts etc), someone else has taken the fall on depreciation and you'll reap the benefit of something that's been looked after. And don't underestimate insurance costs either, this might have a bearing on what you pick.

Good luck!

My Mrs wanted a SUV in order to ferry the grandkids around in. Needed something big enough to get prams and shopping in, oh and also the kids. We looked at the Sportage and Honda HR-V and then decided on the Qashqai. We picked up a demonstrator at a good price and ridiculously low mileage. For a 1400cc petrol engine, it actually has a fair degree of poke which was my main concern. The Mrs is very happy which is always good news and I am  poor which is the normal!

14 hours ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

BMW X3 or an Audi Q5.

For 16k you could probably pick up a 2010 3.6 V8 range rover.

Great deals to be had on 5 series BMW and E class Mercedes-Benz.

You could always lease. You can lease a Hyundai Tucson for around £200 a month 

You won't get any of those 1 year old for £15K.

Firstly let me explain I have no interest in cars ............it's motorsickles for me !

So I always used to have 2 bikes - say a GSXR for most of the year , then when the weather went crap and they gritted the roads a MZ250. However as I got older the cold used to get into my injuries and I would feel 5hit. I was doing a 60 mile commute from S Wales to the Forest of Dean. So I bit the bullet and got a 4x4 ( it was the Forest of Dean remember ).

Got a Suzuki. Both the kids learnt to drive in it. It cost me nothing in terms of maintenance issues or breakdowns. Literally put starship mileage on it . No issues what so ever. And no matter how bad the roads were I always got to work. I kept it for about 8 years and it had 120,000 plus on it when I sold it.

51 minutes ago, harry may said:

Firstly let me explain I have no interest in cars ............it's motorsickles for me !

So I always used to have 2 bikes - say a GSXR for most of the year , then when the weather went crap and they gritted the roads a MZ250. However as I got older the cold used to get into my injuries and I would feel 5hit. I was doing a 60 mile commute from S Wales to the Forest of Dean. So I bit the bullet and got a 4x4 ( it was the Forest of Dean remember ).

Got a Suzuki. Both the kids learnt to drive in it. It cost me nothing in terms of maintenance issues or breakdowns. Literally put starship mileage on it . No issues what so ever. And no matter how bad the roads were I always got to work. I kept it for about 8 years and it had 120,000 plus on it when I sold it.

How is the hairdressing going??

tfj

My buddy recently bought a Vauxhall Mocca and we drove into AG along the LA by pass and it went  like a rocket. He told me it's a 1.4 turbo. I was amazed at how quick it was with such a modest cc.

Its got all the toys as you'd expect on a new motor.

Ill seriously consider getting one when I change motors at a later date.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My buddy recently bought a Vauxhall Mocca and we drove into AG along the LA by pass and it went  like a rocket. He told me it's a 1.4 turbo. I was amazed at how quick it was with such a modest cc.

Its got all the toys as you'd expect on a new motor.

Ill seriously consider getting one when I change motors at a later date.

You getting rid of the Hillman Minx ?

Archived