IGNORED

Gas pub closed

Redmycolour

49 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

I noticed whilst driving up Gloucester Road yesterday the Victoria pub all boarded up.thats one of there holding ground gone. Let's hope the next one is the welly.

Would guess the Victoria is going to be converted in to flats, which is a shame.

If it was still trading you'd imagine the fans/club would have got the lease.

1 hour ago, Dolman Original said:

Don't ever wish for pubs to close. Very sad to see all these flats/Tesco's etc. where there were once boozers. All we will have left soon will be bloody Witherspoon's. 

Would you have a problem with Wetherspoons closing?

2 hours ago, redmycolour said:

I noticed whilst driving up Gloucester Road yesterday the Victoria pub all boarded up.thats one of there holding ground gone. Let's hope the next one is the welly.

no pub closing is a cause for celebration, It's just one less choice for everyone, I know how I felt when wedlocks and the ship and castle closed, just another small part of our lives lost for ever.

Time was when most of the Victoria's regulars were from the adjacent tram depot. When the bus station opened in Broadmead, many bus drivers who lived in Horfield still drank at the Victoria out of habit.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

Time was when most of the Victoria's regulars were from the adjacent tram depot. When the bus station opened in Broadmead, many bus drivers who lived in Horfield still drank at the Victoria out of habit.

Was that before or after their shift.

4 hours ago, redmycolour said:

why, I hate seeing good pubs close

2 hours ago, Super said:

I was driving down Church Rd in St George the other day and was shocked how many pubs have gone over the years.

It depresses me when I go back to Taunton and see all the pubs I used to drink in years ago now closed. I tried writing a list a while back and gave up at twenty.

46 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It depresses me when I go back to Taunton and see all the pubs I used to drink in years ago now closed. I tried writing a list a while back and gave up at twenty.

Yep and no nightlife to speak of now. So many good 'uns gone and most of those that are left are hardly 'proper' pubs. Better off in Bridgy for real pubs now!!!

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I like the Welly too. Good surroundings, excellent beer and great food. Besides, it was always more of a rugby pub than a true SAGS one. 

I'd have to agree - if someone said, 'Name three or four gAss pubs', after asking them why, the Wellington wouldn't be one of them. Just because it's near(est) doesn't make it a Four Tinas pub (or a 'holding ground'). Of the three or four (I was being held at gunpoint to name) most of them would be up Two Mile Wassname near their "Supporters Shop" (I use both these last words loosely).

7 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

You mean twenty you drank in or twenty that are now closed?!

Both really. At some time or another I must have had a pint in just about every pub in the town what with darts and skittles and just generally going out - I honestly can`t think of one I didn`t even if it was just the once. It used to be said there were 92 pubs in the town back in the seventies but I never found out if that was true or not. There`s probably a lot more than twenty that have closed though - that was just the number I could think of off the top of my head at the time.

24 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Both really. At some time or another I must have had a pint in just about every pub in the town what with darts and skittles and just generally going out - I honestly can`t think of one I didn`t even if it was just the once. It used to be said there were 92 pubs in the town back in the seventies but I never found out if that was true or not. There`s probably a lot more than twenty that have closed though - that was just the number I could think of off the top of my head at the time.

A few years ago (maybe 5 or 6) we tried doing pub golf and had to come up with a strange route to get them.

Racehorse

Molly malones (before it was Molly malones)

Crown and sceptre

Cricketers

The plough

Black horse

Coal orchard

Ring of bells

Mambo  (before it was relativly popular)

Rat and parrot

Winch

Apple and parrot

Old library 

Market house

Yates

Perkin

Remedies

Life.

In case you were wondering I gave up at the market house.

At the last count 3 of these had closed and 9 more have closed for at least a short period of time and been started as a new pub.

Just now, Pezo said:

A few years ago (maybe 5 or 6) we tried doing pub golf and had to come up with a strange route to get them.

Racehorse

Molly malones (before it was Molly malones)

Crown and sceptre

Cricketers

The plough

Black horse

Coal orchard

Ring of bells

Mambo  (before it was relativly popular)

Rat and parrot

Winch

Apple and parrot

Old library 

Market house

Yates

Perkin

Remedies

Life.

In case you were wondering I gave up at the market house.

At the last count 3 of these had closed and 9 more have closed for at least a short period of time and been started as a new pub.

11 of those names didn`t even exist when I used to go out on the lash! I suspect some were called something else back then though.

Archived