IGNORED

LJ Interview

Shtanley

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks Robbored. That suggests to me he's off then.

But even if we want to move SG on, how easy would he be to shift? Presumably on mid ranking wages, so not that easy.

Good point, I imagine we're paying him close to what he was on at Wolves so I guess we'd only be able to shift him onto a club that could match that. Realistically someone in this league unless it's a loan and we pay a %.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I accept it is all about opinions but even if Magnusson went, a LB would be very near the bottom of the list of areas to strengthen for me.

If Golbourne did as well, then fair enough, but that then amounts to us losing 2/3 of our left footed defenders.

To me a striker, then a right back, then a pacey right winger (who ideally can also play up front) then a goalkeeper, would be my 4 priorities..

I would strengthen there if Golbourne went. I'd aim to bring in the four positions you mentioned plus a first team left back too. I would try and use Bryan as a midfielder anyway if I were picking the team. Would be disappointed if Magnusson goes personally.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks Robbored. That suggests to me he's off then.

But even if we want to move SG on, how easy would he be to shift? Presumably on mid ranking wages, so not that easy.

I accept it is all about opinions but even if Magnusson went, a LB would be very near the bottom of the list of areas to strengthen for me.

If Golbourne did as well, then fair enough, but that then amounts to us losing 2/3 of our left footed defenders.

To me a striker, then a right back, then a pacey right winger (who ideally can also play up front) then a goalkeeper, would be my 4 priorities..

Agree with this Graham , but I think we need two first team strikers

Not convinced about the three we currently have (Goals wise) and we lack goals all over , Flint the exception , and he may wellbbe off

(Don't think well get two mind !!! )

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree with this Graham , but I think we need two first team strikers

Not convinced about the three we currently have (Goals wise) and we lack goals all over , Flint the exception , and he may wellbbe off

(Don't think well get two mind !!! )

I've watched the whole interview now and am even more sure than before that both Wilbs & Engvall are off.

The former because at 37, the chance to return much nearer to his family makes a great deal of sense, plus being the sort he is, if he was staying I reckon he would have signed his deal by now.

Re Engvall I thought LJ picked his words extremely carefully, saying that it was "written into his loan contract" that he had to return to go on the Tenerife trip where he "would be assessed", but it seems likely to me that the rumours coming from Sweden that he would prefer not to come back are true and LJ didn't say anything at all that made me think he actually rates him.

As that would leave us with our 2 January signings as the only senior strikers (Djuric and Taylor), you may well get your wish. I expect we will then go down both the Kodjia & Tammy routes at the same time, signing some unknown (to us) foreigner who has been scoring goals in the likes of Ligue 2 or Serie B, plus a promising youngster from a top six Prem club with little or no current first team experience.

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

I think that Abraham leaving was inevitable - did a fantastic job for us and probably the best spell of his career (bit ott maybe), but he has to look after himself and his family so a longer or better deal up north may be better for him. Good time for him to leave us - as a much respected player.

Engvall - some players adopt to moving overseas and some don't. Could be wrong but I agree that we've seen the last of him - such as it was.

Players come and go.

Hopefully, we have two incoming to replace those two..

Well it was his worst ever season as a senior player!

(Sorry, been brainwashed by the negative types)

Certainly wasnt a bad effort for his first season of senior football!

He certainly hasn't given himself many places to hide after that interview. Players adapting well, fixture list has been kind at key points of the season and quality players should be coming in to improve the squad.

i hope he's right with these comments, because if he is we could have a successful season.

12 hours ago, Super said:

I actually agree with you, would rather listen to him than some of the managers we have had over the years.

I agree to enjoy LJ's interviews especially the pre match press conferences, they grated a bit at times during our rocky spell, but often I found them interesting and felt I learned something everytime..

11 minutes ago, Neo said:

Why does anybody think Tomlin is going anywhere?

Very presumptuous and unlikely :yawn:

1) he had a disappointing season

2) he was left out towards the end and will think he should be starting 

3) it seems difficult to fit him into out starting 11

4) other clubs/fans probably still regard him as an attractive match winner, so

5) he will still attract a good selling price

6) we may be wanting to get some money back 

34 minutes ago, Neo said:

Why does anybody think Tomlin is going anywhere?

Very presumptuous and unlikely :yawn:

You maybe right, but....

18 minutes ago, Leveller said:

1) he had a disappointing season

2) he was left out towards the end and will think he should be starting 

3) it seems difficult to fit him into out starting 11

4) other clubs/fans probably still regard him as an attractive match winner, so

5) he will still attract a good selling price

6) we may be wanting to get some money back 

...these are 6 of the 7 reasons, the 7th is I think he's part of the problem.

32 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He is hilarious . David Brent of football management .

Dang  I have given his nickname away 

I can see what you mean but I've worked in retail and he's not quite David Brent. Cotterill was easy because it was any used car salesmen. I'll try to pin down why LJ amuses me so much. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You maybe right, but....

...these are 6 of the 7 reasons, the 7th is I think he's part of the problem.

I think the 8th being that he's probably our most expensive player in terms of wages and not justifying it probably has a big part to play as well

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I've watched the whole interview now and am even more sure than before that both Wilbs & Engvall are off.

The former because at 37, the chance to return much nearer to his family makes a great deal of sense, plus being the sort he is, if he was staying I reckon he would have signed his deal by now.

Re Engvall I thought LJ picked his words extremely carefully, saying that it was "written into his loan contract" that he had to return to go on the Tenerife trip where he "would be assessed", but it seems likely to me that the rumours coming from Sweden that he would prefer not to come back are true and LJ didn't say anything at all that made me think he actually rates him.

As that would leave us with our 2 January signings as the only senior strikers (Djuric and Taylor), you may well get your wish. I expect we will then go down both the Kodjia & Tammy routes at the same time, signing some unknown (to us) foreigner who has been scoring goals in the likes of Ligue 2 or Serie B, plus a promising youngster from a top six Prem club with little or no current first team experience.

IMHO Engvall looks nowhere near a 2million plus signing here or back in Sweden - whoever sanctioned it or was involved    Needs their credentials questioned (IMHO)

in Tomlin and Engvall we spent over 5 million - incredible

14 hours ago, The_Don said:

Good interview, after a few months of boredom, just a shame there was no mention of the Tomlin situation but I guess he will just be ushered out of the door quietly.

Maybe there isn't a Tomlin situation and it's being blown out of proportion on here, 

I'd still get rid as he isn't a team player though

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

IMHO Engvall looks nowhere near a 2million plus signing here or back in Sweden - whoever sanctioned it or was involved    Needs their credentials questioned (IMHO)

in Tomlin and Engvall we spent over 5 million - incredible

The scout who had a hand in it has left

22 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I know it's slightly moist of me to be saying this but I've missed his interviews, you realise how much you miss football when it finally comes around again.

I think I must be the anti-thatch35 when it comes to Lee, I adore his interviews and whenever he's on TV. I appreciate I'm in the minority as he's not your standard used-car salesman style manager but something about him makes me really enjoy it when he's doing media duties. Him calling the players runts for some reason had me in stitches.

I hope with the new website and whatnot we don't slow down on the behind the scenes style content we have on the youtube page.

johnson out

56 minutes ago, The Chaplain said:

What were these 'life issues' of which he speaks?

Who knows?  :dunno:

Whatever they are they will be quite rightly a confidential matter.

Everyone has things going in theirs lives that effect them both in and out of the work place and players are no different.

10 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Listened to the interview and am already cringing.. the high pitched upturned end of sentences like they are a question back looking for approval at what he has just said. I want to know what is happening but damn why did I turn that on?  

Ah I see i'm not the only one who's noticed that. I like LJ but the upward inflection he always does is annoying - I would've thought that would've been trained out of him.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Ah I see i'm not the only one who's noticed that. I like LJ but the upward inflection he always does is annoying - I would've thought that would've been trained out of him.

His ol man does exactly the same.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

His ol man does exactly the same.

Can't say I'd noticed it to be quite as prevalent as LJ - but I suppose if anyone would know it would be you!

Here's a nice interview with him I used to check for the inflection at the player of the year awards (uploaded by @Dollymarie?) in that wonderful playoff season. Great times don't you think?

20 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

Listened to the interview and am already cringing.. the high pitched upturned end of sentences like they are a question back looking for approval at what he has just said. I want to know what is happening but damn why did I turn that on?  

"Why did I turn that on?" I say that after every interview but I still listen. His interviews remind me of interviews with politicians where they talk for 5 minutes but don't actually say anything. I must be getting old as I keep thinking managers were much better in the past - e g Terry Cooper 

(I wish Stanley Unwin was still alive as he used to talk a lot of sense compared to LJ.)

Archived