IGNORED

LJ Interview

Shtanley

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He'll look a bit of a knobber if he's not after this 

IMG_2732.png

Bit annoying - in work and cannot listen to the radio interview or see your image.  Oh well - something to look forward to tonight (or not) :blink:

edit: just found the verbal bbc page :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40365441

interesting - as it stands i'm right he is not going - today at least !!

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

Bit annoying - in work and cannot listen to the radio interview or see your image.  Oh well - something to look forward to tonight (or not) :blink:

edit: just found the verbal bbc page :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40365441

interesting - as it stands i'm right he is not going - today at least !!

Ha! My picture is of his Instagram post from a few weeks ago where he basically made it sound like he was off imminently 'so long and thanks for all the memories' type thing...

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Ha! My picture is of his Instagram post from a few weeks ago where he basically made it sound like he was off imminently 'so long and thanks for all the memories' type thing...

Oh yeah - I saw that one.  Very immature kid mentality - I think I said around the time he needs help mentally - if he can get his head right he can still be the player and icon we thought he would be - never too late in football to change attitudes but he needs to want it and these flawed genuis players sometimes seem to lack that desire.

Fingers crossed he comes back to a decent level or even I will have to admit he has to go :grr:

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

Oh yeah - I saw that one.  Very immature kid mentality - I think I said around the time he needs help mentally - if he can get his head right he can still be the player and icon we thought he would be - never too late in football to change attitudes but he needs to want it and these flawed genuis players sometimes seem to lack that desire.

Fingers crossed he comes back to a decent level or even I will have to admit he has to go :grr:

He seems to have a constant need to be told how amazing he is. 

Here's an idea - get your head down, stop thinking you're better than everyone else and bloody well earn it like you did when you were on loan and angling for a nice big signing on fee. 

Can see his career going exactly the way of JET. Will end up back in the lower leagues as a luxury player who never fulfilled half of what he was technically capable of. Love to be proved wrong but don't think it'll be here. 

If Johnson wants him out in favour of better team players there's no objection from me. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He seems to have a constant need to be told how amazing he is. 

Here's an idea - get your head down, stop thinking you're better than everyone else and bloody well earn it like you did when you were on loan and angling for a nice big signing on fee. 

Can see his career going exactly the way of JET. Will end up back in the lower leagues as a luxury player who never fulfilled half of what he was technically capable of. Love to be proved wrong but don't think it'll be here. 

If Johnson wants him out in favour of better team players there's no objection from me. 

Tomlin can be awkward to manage because of his "unusual" behaviour both on social media and within the workplace.

Unfortunately he's not blessed intellectually and that sometimes get him into situations that would been better avoided. 

He is what he is.

12 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Tomin is leaving . The manager had told him he doesn't want him at BCFC 

But he gave the go ahead for City to sign Tomlin for big money less than 12 months ago!?!

If true, LJ seems to change his mind often, and with some rapidity.

If he had any doubts he had every opportunity to say so after having the huge advantage of being able to assess his overall suitability for BCFC during his extended loan period.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

But he gave the go ahead for City to sign Tomlin for big money less than 12 months ago!?!

If he had any doubts he had every opportunity to say so after having the huge advantage of being able to assess his overall suitability for BCFC during his extended loan period.

Maybe the doubts weren't there 12 months ago, Noggers? 

It's not the first time it's happened where LT is concerned.....

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Tony Dinning .

That is all.

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Maybe the doubts weren't there 12 months ago, Noggers? 

It's not the first time it's happened where LT is concerned.....

I could perhaps understand it if he hadn't had him on loan, but he had months to assess Tomlin.

Warning signs were there from his past career, any doubts and don't bloody sign him.

Apart from anything else if LT hasn't asked for a transfer presumably this is going to cost BCFC alot of money.

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Tony Dinning .

That is all.

I can't remember if the then City manager constantly changed his selection, tactics and formations making life difficult for Dinning.

Don't think so, Dinning was just a waster iirc.

Completely different scenario imo.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I could perhaps understand it if he hadn't had him on loan, but he had months to assess Tomlin.

Warning signs were there from his past career, any doubts and don't bloody sign him.

Apart from anything else if LT hasn't asked for a transfer presumably this is going to cost BCFC alot of money.

I agree, Noggers

I'm sure that LT behaved himself impeccably whilst here on loan. Maybe LJ thought he was the one to tame him. Sadly it doesn't look like it right now

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not as much as Engvall though :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As would 99.99% of managers after that loan spell. 

Its almost as if Tomlin was being super well behaved and working extra hard to earn a massive signing on fee. 

But he wouldn't do that....would he?

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Its almost as if Tomlin was being super well behaved and working extra hard to earn a massive signing on fee. 

But he wouldn't do that....would he?

No, I don't think he would.

Anyway it appears Tomlin's had off field personal issues which none of us were aware of which had a detrimental affect on his performances so perhaps it's been harsh both of me to have expected more of LJ, and for you to be so damning of the player.

Let's leave it at that with the hope that LT has put whatever those problems were behind him and he returns reinvigorated to again be the huge asset we know he can be next season.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, I don't think he would.

Anyway it appears Tomlin's had off field personal issues which none of us were aware of which had a detrimental affect on his performances so perhaps it's been harsh both of me to have expected more of LJ, and for you to be so damning of the player.

Let's leave it at that with the hope that LT has put whatever those problems were behind him and he returns reinvigorated to again be the huge asset we know he can be next season.

There are many things to deservedly use as a stick to beat LJ with, but the signing of Tomlin isn't one of them. 

99% of the fans wanted it and 99% of other managers would have signed him after what he did here on loan. 

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You mean after an exceptional loan spell? Same reason we looked at bringing Matthews back, you'd have found more people annoyed if we weren't interested in buying Tomlin 

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There are many things to deservedly use as a stick to beat LJ with, but the signing of Tomlin isn't one of them. 

99% of the fans wanted it and 99% of other managers would have signed him after what he did here on loan. 

6 hours ago, hodge said:

You mean after an exceptional loan spell? Same reason we looked at bringing Matthews back, you'd have found more people annoyed if we weren't interested in buying Tomlin 

Yep, but getting away from Tomlin specifically, generally speaking a manager should never seek to be popular by following fans' clamour to sign a loan player. The manager will have more insight to go on regarding the overall suitability of a player than the fans, who just see what goes on on the pitch.

In fact in such a case it would show the strength of a manager if he was willing to 'annoy' the fans by going against their wishes because he genuinely knew better.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, but getting away from Tomlin specifically, generally speaking a manager should never seek to be popular by following fans' clamour to sign a loan player. The manager will have more insight to go on regarding the overall suitability of a player than the fans, who just see what goes on on the pitch.

In fact in such a case it would show the strength of a manager if he was willing to 'annoy' the fans by going against their wishes because he genuinely knew better.

he did that by dropping him which proved to be the correct call in hindsight,

If he had personal demons then he gets the benefit of doubt from me, new season clean slate and all that, 

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Generally speaking, of course not.

But in the case of LJ and Tomlin I can't imagine for a minute that LJ didnt want him but signed him because he was popular with fans. He gets constant stick on Twitter over Magnusson and Engvall but it doesn't make him play them. He's shown on more than one occasion that he's happy to make unpopular decisions that he thinks are best for the team.

Back to Tomlin - it's clear for all to see that he looked a completely different player on loan to how he has this season. 

Quite naive to think that he wasn't on his very best behaviour when looking for a new long term deal somewhere and a big pay day after it being made clear he wasn't wanted at Bournemouth - it was widely reported that we got around the wage 'problem' by paying him an enormous signing bonus. 

Add to that the social media whoring (thanks for everything Bristol, look at all these amazing goals I scored for Peterborough...etc. etc.) and I'm just getting very bored with the whole thing. 

It was an expensive failure but they happen. If it was me then provided we could find someone to pay his wages I'd be looking to get rid. We looked a better team on multiple occasions without him in it. 

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think it was probably partly attendance driven. We all know Lansdown likes a marquee player to get people excited and generate a buzz to sell tickets. With the stadium fully open and 27,000 seats to fill - I can see why a player like Tomlin would be desirable. 

I don't blame LJ for taking the risk either, if offered the opportunity of signing one of the most talented attacking midfielders outside of the premier league.. after that loan spell.. I can see why he'd be tempted. It hasn't worked really yet, but if he stays maybe he'll show his quality this year.

My take on LT is as follows.

Everyone knows that I'm not an avid LJ fan but even I would credit him for signing Lee Tomlin because he is a very talented footballer and not because the fans wanted it.

It is also clear to me now that LT probably had some personal problems during the season; I know not what type and neither will I try to guess what they were. All I say is that all of us will react to situations in totally different ways and the recovery period from any personal trauma cannot be predicted. Thus performance at work can be affected or not, for months/years or a couple of days. Everybody is different. Some are more even in their mood swings, while others go so far up and then come crashing down. LT is one of the "long wave" variety.

Lee Tomlin is what my father used to call "A Tin Opener" of a player in that he can unlock defences with passes that 99% of players cannot see or try to do. When it works, it's a crowd pleaser and match winner. When it doesn't, we all know what that feels like.

It's up to LJ and the coaching team to decide if they want him in the team to provide that extra flair that others will never have. Or to fill the side with more predictable and more consistent players who may grind out results but will never get the fans jumping with their unpredictable genius. I know which I would prefer but fully understand the opposite view.

PS. This might be more suited to the thread "Lee Tomlins Staying" so I've copied and pasted it there. 

Archived