IGNORED

Squad Nationalities

SuperDziek

With us being linked with the Italian full back, what are people's views on the make up of the squad in terms of nationality, then.

We could conceivably have a back 4 next season as Italy-Australia-Germany-Iceland with an Austrian keeper.  Does it make any difference to the identity of the club?  Do you care about the nationality of the players wearing the shirt, or do you want to see as many local players as possible?

As nice as it was to see plenty of Bristolian/South West players in the team, it's a long time since that was the case (The academy graduates under Danny Wilson?) and it's hard to envisage those days return given the better value for money you got from players plying their trade across Europe etc.

21 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

With us being linked with the Italian full back, what are people's views on the make up of the squad in terms of nationality, then.

We could conceivably have a back 4 next season as Italy-Australia-Germany-Iceland with an Austrian keeper.  Does it make any difference to the identity of the club?  Do you care about the nationality of the players wearing the shirt, or do you want to see as many local players as possible?

As nice as it was to see plenty of Bristolian/South West players in the team, it's a long time since that was the case (The academy graduates under Danny Wilson?) and it's hard to envisage those days return given the better value for money you got from players plying their trade across Europe etc.

Fine by me. 

McGivern - Nyatanga - Fontaine -  Hunt

Was all British and they were a massive bag of ****!

Ever since transfer fees were introduced a thousand years ago, clubs have had players from other cities and countries. Admittedly a majority of players in the first thirty years of my career as a City Fan would have seemed like locally born but in fact, that has rarely been the case.

The 1909 FA Cup Final team had only three Bristolians and several Scots.

The 1955 team had Bristolians Cook, Guy, Bailey, Williams, Milton. Others who were regarded as local (?) like Atyeo from Dilton Marsh, Thresher from Chard and Burden from Andover. The remainder a mixture from other parts of England and of course, Alec Eisentrager from Germany.

1976-80 also had some local boys. Merrick, Rodgers, Collier, Cheesley, Cashley, Mabbutt, but the Scots Gow, Sweeney, Gillies, Ritchie, Shaw all contributed greatly. Plus outsiders from up north and a couple from Europe.

I suppose that we now have to accept that for the present, our team will contain plenty of non local players. Then hopefully we should have Academy boys coming through, but even then, they may not originate from the West Country.

So long as everyone who pulls on the shirt, gives 100% and does their best, that's all we can ask for. 

I genuinely couldn't care less what nationality our squad is. If anything, I've felt for a while that the European market is largely untapped for Championship talent, considering the premium clubs pay on English talent. I'm guessing Lansdown and co feel the same, considering we've spent a lot of time and money abroad in the past year or two.

Being bored, I put together a team of players who have appeared for us, each from a different country.

1 Adriano Basso. -. Brazil

2 Vegard Hansen. -. Denmark

5 Tamas Vasco. -. Hungary

4 Jens Hegeler. -. Germany

3 Hordur  Magnusson

6 Luke Wilshire. - Australia

7 Pertii Jantunnen. -. Finland

11 Geert Meier. -. Netherlands

8 Alvaro Saborio. -. Costa Rica

9 Milan Duric. -. Bosnia

10 Jonathan Kodjia. -. France

Subs. Ivan Lukic. -. Austria

Damien Stewart - Jamaica

Gustav Engvall. -. Sweden

Shaun Goater. -. Bermuda

Greg Goodridge. -. Barbados

Albert Adomah. -. Ghana

Who have I missed, from a country not on my list?

22 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Being bored, I put together a team of players who have appeared for us, each from a different country.

1 Adriano Basso. -. Brazil

2 Vegard Hansen. -. Denmark

5 Tamas Vasco. -. Hungary

4 Jens Hegeler. -. Germany

3 Hordur  Magnusson

6 Luke Wilshire. - Australia

7 Pertii Jantunnen. -. Finland

11 Geert Meier. -. Netherlands

8 Alvaro Saborio. -. Costa Rica

9 Milan Duric. -. Bosnia

10 Jonathan Kodjia. -. France

Subs. Ivan Lukic. -. Austria

Damien Stewart - Jamaica

Gustav Engvall. -. Sweden

Shaun Goater. -. Bermuda

Greg Goodridge. -. Barbados

Albert Adomah. -. Ghana

Who have I missed, from a country not on my list?

Kevin Betsy- Seychelles 

Adam Al Abd- Eqypt

Dele Adebola- Nigeria

Matt Briggs- Guyana 

Kalifa Cisse- Mali

Arnie- Cameroon

Marc Joseph- Antigua and Barbuda 

Deikel Keinan- Israel

Jehad Muntasser- Libya

Jason Roberts- Grenada 

Tony and Anthony Rougier- Trinidad 

Leroy Rosenoir- Sierra Leone

Peter Styvar- Slovenia 

Ivan Testicles- Moldova

Andreas Verlicka- Lithuania 

Jim Brennan- Canada

19 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Having no players in the XI who are local obviously alters the identity of the FC. Bristol City? Pride of the West? Hardly. It also brings into question what the football club is. Representative or there simply to provide entertainment for its customers regardless of where they come from. A mediocre Man City, Chelsea ...

If the attitude is to buy in a XI from anywhere aspects of Bristol City become meaningless, the development model, its pillars redundant. Players do not develop and mature if they do not play, do not get challenged, do not gain experience ... The national side is an example of that.

Bristol City DO have a poor reputation for developing local players. Why go to a FC that offers no pathway into its XI? What parent would send their kid to a club like that?

21 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Ever since transfer fees were introduced a thousand years ago, clubs have had players from other cities and countries. Admittedly a majority of players in the first thirty years of my career as a City Fan would have seemed like locally born but in fact, that has rarely been the case.

The 1909 FA Cup Final team had only three Bristolians and several Scots.

The 1955 team had Bristolians Cook, Guy, Bailey, Williams, Milton. Others who were regarded as local (?) like Atyeo from Dilton Marsh, Thresher from Chard and Burden from Andover. The remainder a mixture from other parts of England and of course, Alec Eisentrager from Germany.

1976-80 also had some local boys. Merrick, Rodgers, Collier, Cheesley, Cashley, Mabbutt, but the Scots Gow, Sweeney, Gillies, Ritchie, Shaw all contributed greatly. Plus outsiders from up north and a couple from Europe.

I suppose that we now have to accept that for the present, our team will contain plenty of non local players. Then hopefully we should have Academy boys coming through, but even then, they may not originate from the West Country.

So long as everyone who pulls on the shirt, gives 100% and does their best, that's all we can ask for. 

Don't forget a Keith Fear - a local boy. I should know as I was in the same class as him at school.

Archived