IGNORED

Home Friendly

Ashton_Red

Just now, Between heaven and hell said:

Your wrong sir.

I have no allegance to Willem and have never travelled to Holland to watch them and neither will I.

What I am saying is there has been enough people asking for a friendly to surely warrant one.

Surely it's not much to ask is it.

Then apologies for that, thought I recalled you posting about them positively before, in which case I take that back.

My point stands though, Twente are a bigger club that Willem, and (not suggesting you were one of these) we recently had people complaining about none of our friendlies being challenging enough, now we have a club that is a regular in the Europa League and we have people complaining. 

City cannot win, complaints will happen regardless, for what is, regardless of opposition, a completely meaningless game.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Then apologies for that, thought I recalled you posting about them positively before, in which case I take that back.

My point stands though, Twente are a bigger club that Willem, and (not suggesting you were one of these) we recently had people complaining about none of our friendlies being challenging enough, now we have a club that is a regular in the Europa League and we have people complaining. 

City cannot win, complaints will happen regardless, for what is, regardless of opposition, a completely meaningless game.

A game v Willem II would not be meaningless to a section of City support. 

Just now, Cowshed said:

A game v Willem II would not be meaningless to a section of City support. 

A very small section though.

For the vast majority it would just be a meaningless friendly, and against a lesser* opposition than what is offered with Twente

* Not using lesser to have a go at Willem, genuinely ambivalent, but its the same as Twente fans would see us as lesser opposition than Wednesday, for example.

29 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not a kick in the teeth to me, I'm not that bothered who we play as it's just a friendly,

believe it or not most fans of this club feel the same way, there isn't a great following of William outside of the forums from what I've witnessed,

now I may be wrong I may not but considering this board represents a tiny percent of our fan base and not everyone here is bothered about it I would thought the rest feel the same

That's the thing - most people (unless it was Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern etc) would be fairly apathetic - so why not make the friendly with Willem happen because we know a section of our support would be interested?

Not complaining about Twente - it's a good club and a relatively big name, but why not make Willem happen too? I think it would get a higher attendance. From what I've heard, Willem officials are pretty receptive to it and the blockage actually comes from our end.

Anyone else getting a feeling that if FC Twente travel well to us there could be trouble?

Starters there playing a English team everyone likes a scrap against the English and then the fact of not been allowed to play in Europe for 3 years meaning this will be first time they've played abroad for a while.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

A very small section though.

For the vast majority it would just be a meaningless friendly, and against a lesser* opposition than what is offered with Twente

* Not using lesser to have a go at Willem, genuinely ambivalent, but its the same as Twente fans would see us as lesser opposition than Wednesday, for example.

The numbers attending matches in Tilburg dwarfs the tiny away followings who have accompanied Bristol City to Latvia, Portugal and Sweden,with some supporters doing both. So this section has significance in comparison. Reflecting this would not be meaningless.

20 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes but to be fair to those who have been calling for a friendly they have been asking for three or four years now.

1 minute ago, cynic said:

Its not a kick in the teeth to anyone.

Its a home friendly, thats all.

Most people (certainly the vast majority of City support) have absolutely no idea of any link up with Willem and couldn't give a toss anyway.

Its a good test for City just before the championship kicks off and that is what matters.

It is to those that have been asking for a friendly for a number of years now.

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

I've been asking for a friendly against Man.Utd for years - bastards keep ignoring me.

StrawMan.jpg

Oh come on Cynic, that's such a straw man argument. I can't imagine Willem II would exactly be inundated with offers for pre-season games in the same way United would be - most of which would be far more lucrative than a game at Ashton Gate.

27 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Yes but to be fair to those who have been calling for a friendly they have been asking for three or four years now.

The idea has been around for longer than that. oddly it was a game v Twente where about seventy made the trip over including members of the lansdown club who phoned City directors telling them they really should be having a look at what was going on. wrong to put on here which directors as they appeared to be interested and years later it looks doubtful if it is even a thought now. pity is City and BS would learn a thing or two. From kids to seventy year olds who bought boxes at Ashton Gate people have been impressed by how friendly the fans, players and Directors of Willem II are. 

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Not a kick in the teeth to me, I'm not that bothered who we play as it's just a friendly,

believe it or not most fans of this club feel the same way, there isn't a great following of William outside of the forums from what I've witnessed,

now I may be wrong I may not but considering this board represents a tiny percent of our fan base and not everyone here is bothered about it I would thought the rest feel the same

to be fair its not a forum thing is it? 

1 minute ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Best put the pipe down if you think there are Mancs thinking "know what a game v Bristol City would be a half decent idea!"

You never know - they may want to target increasing their fanbase in the West Country. After all, Man Utd fans are few and far between round here, you hardly ever see a shirt do you?

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The numbers attending matches in Tilburg dwarfs the tiny away followings who have accompanied Bristol City to Latvia, Portugal and Sweden,with some supporters doing both. So this section has significance in comparison. Reflecting this would not be meaningless.

It is a home friendly, the amount that we have taken to Latvia etc is irrelevent.

Unless you are saying we would have a significantly bigger home attendace against Willem than Twente, in which case I disagree.

I'd expect Twente to be a bigger draw, being a regular in the Europa League. But would expect the difference in the crowd compared to Willem to be almost negligible all things considered.

25 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It is a home friendly, the amount that we have taken to Latvia etc is irrelevent.

Unless you are saying we would have a significantly bigger home attendace against Willem than Twente, in which case I disagree.

I'd expect Twente to be a bigger draw, being a regular in the Europa League. But would expect the difference in the crowd compared to Willem to be almost negligible all things considered.

You have not understood the point, and concept.

The parallel between Latvia, Sweden and trips to Tilburg is relevant. More Bristol City fans watch matches in Tilburg than attend City's tours. 

A friendly v Willem II would not be not meaningless, it would reflect something that is real and has been going on for ten years.

The meaning and relevance behind a  game v FC Twente? I would not be so disparaging to say it has no meaning, but I doubt if you can find any link between the two clubs as real as the one BCFC and Willem II supporters have forged.

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You have not understood the point, and concept.

The parallel between Latvia, Sweden and trips to Tilburg is relevant. More Bristol City fans watch matches in Tilburg than attend City's tours. 

A friendly v Willem II would not be not meaningless, it would reflect something that is real and has been going on for ten years.

The meaning and relevance behind a  game v FC Twente? I would not be so disparaging to say it has no meaning, but I doubt if you can find any link between the two clubs as real as the one BCFC and Willem II supporters have forged.

The game would be meaningless to the vast majority.

That is the point being made.

If the majority of the fanbase wanted this, then it could be a kick in the teeth, but it is safe to say that isn't the case.

46 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

dont think you are getting it. the games over in Tilburg are events. it is not just a game. Bristol City are sort of getting a bit of the event feel with what goes on outside the south stand. a match v Willem II would be an event to celebrate something a bit different and a game v decent enough team. Twente??? nah. 

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The game would be meaningless to the vast majority.

That is the point being made.

If the majority of the fanbase wanted this, then it could be a kick in the teeth, but it is safe to say that isn't the case.

I think you're wrong.

Many City fans are aware of the City/ Willem II link even if those who are actively involved in that link are a relatively small number. Having said that, it's still a significant number and the feeling of goodwill and fellowship is reciprocated by many in Holland who have an affection for Bristol City F.C.

A match between the 2 clubs at AG would not only be a genuine friendly but something of a special occasion and a real carnival atmosphere which would forge even stronger links.

I'd definitely attend for that extra sense of occasion, but am not particularly enthused by FC Twente.

The fan led link between the clubs is surely a positive one which should be officially encouraged by the BCFC, and if we were going to arrange a friendly against a Dutch club Willem II were the obvious and outstanding candidates.

I'm disappointed by City apparently ignoring this link, and particularly for the fans of both clubs who would have been so enthusiastic to see this match happen.

7 hours ago, cynic said:

Couldn't give a toss about Willem or Twente (know fk all about either really) but its a testing home game before kicking off the season which is the main point of it.

Its naive to think that any professional football club would arrange an important pre-season game based upon a minority of fans preference of opposition.

Nogbad being a bright one nailed it. for those who do give a toss what is wrong with attempting that special occasion?

Nogbad summed it up perfectly. I think people who appear to be 'anti' the idea of a Willem friendly may be of the opinion (wrongly) that it would be the S82 group getting 'special treatment' by having this friendly made.. even if it isn't exclusively that group who have an interest in the Willem friendly.

It's nice to have a game against Twente, but I can't fathom the club's apparent reluctance for a game vs Willem (a top flight Dutch club) when they're clearly willing, it would be a competitive game and there's fan appetite for it. It's an easily doable annual event that could foster ties that are useful to the club.. potential transfers, sharing of scouting knowledge, even loans (hasn't done Chelsea much harm loaning out to Vitesse). There's load of potential there for the club to exploit.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Nogbad summed it up perfectly. I think people who appear to be 'anti' the idea of a Willem friendly may be of the opinion (wrongly) that it would be the S82 group getting 'special treatment' by having this friendly made.. even if it isn't exclusively that group who have an interest in the Willem friendly.

It's nice to have a game against Twente, but I can't fathom the club's apparent reluctance for a game vs Willem (a top flight Dutch club) when they're clearly willing, it would be a competitive game and there's fan appetite for it. It's an easily doable annual event that could foster ties that are useful to the club.. potential transfers, sharing of scouting knowledge, even loans (hasn't done Chelsea much harm loaning out to Vitesse). There's load of potential there for the club to exploit.

Wondering who is "anti" having a friendly with Willem?

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Seems like you are a bit really - or are you just playing devils advocate / arguing for the sake of it? 

Im not anti it at all.

But in a case of Willem or Twente, I would rather see City face Twente, given they have a bigger stature in football.

Archived